Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 11:16 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times

Advertisements

Before you have your knee jerk reaction, no I am not a right wing nutjob. I absolutely do not mind paying to have social safety nets to catch people when they fall. So, please hear me out before you put me together with the right wing bigots.

I have been dealing with my boyfriend's family for a number of years. I've written about them here, so you can read the thread at this link...

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...-were-out.html

They are a puzzle to me.

Let's focus on their eating habits. As I've mentioned in the linked thread, the sisters can't seem to eat anything but chicken fingers and french fries.

Earlier tonight, we had one of the sisters over. Turned out she didn't have dinner, so we brought out some roast duck. Very good stuff. She made a face and said "ewwww what is that?"

A life time of living in poverty and on food stamps has made her incapable of enjoying anything other than... fast foods.

Which brings me to my main point. We all know that people are obviously not eating quality foods while on food stamps. But here's the thing. While food stamps aren't enough to give them quality foods, they're just barely good enough to keep them going virtually forever. Once people are adapted to the cheap stuff that they normally get from food stamps, there's little reason for them to improve.

The sister has walked out of several jobs because she doesn't like them. She currently sits at home. Both sisters, the mom, and the dad have been on food stamps forever. It's not a social safety net to them. It's a way of life.

I know I'm going to get a lot of flack by the politically correct, but such way of life is downright degrading!

Food stamp just isn't enough to give people quality foods. It's just barely enough to keep them going forever and ever. And unfortunately, many people have turned it into a way of life.

And unfortunately, my boyfriend's little sisters, after having grown up on food stamps, can't enjoy anything but chicken fingers and french fries. Neither of them work. They don't seem to mind at all that they are barely surviving being on a permanent state of food stamp collectors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 11:22 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,288 times
Dont worry. The liberal sharks will be here to tell you why you are wrong while insulting you for being a conservative

Old 08-29-2015, 11:29 PM

65 posts, read 42,288 times
EBT shouldn't be redeemable for fast food at all. That's how you solve that problem.

Fast food is always more expensive than buying the basic constituent food groups from a grocer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
The sister has walked out of several jobs because she doesn't like them. She currently sits at home. Both sisters, the mom, and the dad have been on food stamps forever. It's not a social safety net to them. It's a way of life.
It certainly sounds like right wing nuttery. Are you sure you don't want to reject the left's mind control and just admit that what progressivism espouses is not constructive?

Old 08-29-2015, 11:34 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
OP, What does it cost this family to eat fast food every day? I guarantee they could eat healthy food cheaper. But they won't because they have no incentive to change as long as someone else is paying for it.

Old 08-29-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Which brings me to my main point. We all know that people are obviously not eating quality foods while on food stamps. But here's the thing. While food stamps aren't enough to give them quality foods, they're just barely good enough to keep them going virtually forever. Once people are adapted to the cheap stuff that they normally get from food stamps, there's little reason for them to improve.
If I get more foods stamps that can be redeemed at fast food, I know I'm upgrading to a higher class of fast food and buying the biggest orders of Shake Shack and Chick-fil-A and Qdoba and Chipotle that I can drag out of the outlets. With drinks. Extra lettuce.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:00 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,075,941 times
Quote:

And unfortunately, my boyfriend's little sisters, after having grown up on food stamps, can't enjoy anything but chicken fingers and french fries. Neither of them work. They don't seem to mind at all that they are barely surviving being on a permanent state of food stamp collectors.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't food stamp like a Credit Card to be used on food at the Groceries? So why can't they buy fresh food and cook from scratch?

What on the rules does it say you can only buy Frozen Food? You make it sounds like Food Stamps can only be used at McDonalds?

Old 08-30-2015, 12:04 AM

7,495 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Food stamps should go away. If you need food you go to the local food bank for cheese, bread, milk etc. every time is see how much I pay in taxes and see the lazy asses sucking entitlement ***** it infuriates me. Every working class American pays through the nose for free housing, food, healthcare, phones and God knows what else. If you can't get to a food bank figure out how are hunger will force you to work or starve.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:07 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
So because this one idiot family buys fast food and doesn't cook their meals, you're wlling to cut it for all?

Old 08-30-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
So because this one idiot family buys fast food and doesn't cook their meals, you're wlling to cut it for all?
That's what it sounds like. Unless you can increase the periodic balance on the card, so that recipients can get a higher grade of fast food.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:21 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post

One?
Take a look at what's bought in 7-11s and even the worst choices at the grocery stores with Food Stamps.

They are not enough to eat high on the hog but certainly better alternatives could be chosen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies