Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 05:45 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,492,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
All I did was ask why Washington State is named after George Washington, who had nothing to do with that state.

I was replying to somebody who insisted that Mount McKinley in Alaska should not have been named after President McKinley because President McKinley had nothing to do with Alaska.

My pointing all of that out seems to bother you a lot.

I can't think why.
From what I've been reading, the people in favor of the change are just asking what the logic is behind keeping the mountain named McKinley.

If a significant number of the locals of Washington State already referred to their state by a native name, and wanted the federal gov't to recognize that name, I'd have no problem renaming the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I have to give the president credit on this one. Renaming the mountain to it's original name was the right thing to do. Just because some prospector named it after McKinley was campaigning for the executive office. Sadly McKinley was assassinated and does dignify having something named after him...Ohio has many parks or possibly a major airport that could be renamed.
There are already many things in Ohio named for President McKinley. He even has 2 monuments, that I'm aware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 05:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
If white liberals want to be politically correct and rename things for Native Americans, why don't they just go all the way and leave this country?

Why not just give it back to the Natives?

The same goes for Obama.

His father was from Kenya, and his mother was white.

He should leave, too.

On the other hand, we could just stop renaming things....
Interesting concept; I was about to say the same thing: let's just all leave the country or turn it back to he native Americans and let them run it for awhile. Then we will see how things go.

As for renaning things, you are right on there as well. I understand renaming something in honor of a person in rare situations, but the rest of this is crap. How much time was spent deciding what should be renamed for PC reasons prior to the election of our wonderful President. I use the word wonderful very loosely!!!!!

Old 09-01-2015, 05:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You have become obsessed with this topic simply because President Obama's administration made it happen. Frankly, you're being childish. Most presidents name or rename things. Including Republicans (or perhaps you don't remember the change from Washington National Airport to Ronald Reagan National Airport. I lived in northern Virginia at the time, and people hated that change, and fought it tooth and nail. Now I could have seen naming it after Reagan if the last we saw of him was flying out of that airport.
I don't see the comment he made as childish at all. Nor do I think renaming the National was wrong. I too lived in NO. VA. I don't remember any histaria. Here we have Clinton airport, which was renamed in honor of the President who was raised here. You are the one that seems to be acting childish. Renaming an airport in honor of a person is very different from renaming anything just to be politically correct.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:59 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Surely the relevant Alaskan Native Americans had an alphabet of their own.

If we are going to be "authentic," we should use that alphabet instead of our own.

Anything less would be alphabetic imperialism.
No native Americans had an alphabet. They were a pretty primitive people by European standards of "civilization".

Old 09-01-2015, 06:32 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No native Americans had an alphabet. They were a pretty primitive people by European standards of "civilization".
Look up "American Indian alphabets" or "Native American alphabets" on google.

Yes, they did have their own alphabets.

Pretty cool looking alphabets at that....

I say end the alphabetic imperialism!

Old 09-01-2015, 07:25 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
So you are inconsistent: got it. I think we should call Mt Hood, Mt. McCall after the Oregon governor who was the quintessential Oregon environmentalist. Or was Tom McCall too white for you and not PC enough?
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds... Ralph Waldo Emerson

I prefer to confine my opinions to things I actually know something about. Your mileage obviously differs.

I'm a huge admirer of Tom McCall, so I'd love to see something besides the nature preserve and the park already named after him - and of course the various schools, etc. I don't know, maybe something near his family ranch?

A bigger question is why you're so insistent that if the name of the mountain is to be changed, it must *not* be changed to its traditional name, which is still in use. I'm focussed on the appropriateness of the mountain being named for Lord Hood, a man who fought against the states during the War of Independence. You're focussed on epidermal melanin. It's - odd.

Last edited by jacqueg; 09-01-2015 at 07:44 AM..

Old 09-01-2015, 08:57 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds... Ralph Waldo Emerson

I prefer to confine my opinions to things I actually know something about. Your mileage obviously differs.

I'm a huge admirer of Tom McCall, so I'd love to see something besides the nature preserve and the park already named after him - and of course the various schools, etc. I don't know, maybe something near his family ranch?

A bigger question is why you're so insistent that if the name of the mountain is to be changed, it must *not* be changed to its traditional name, which is still in use. I'm focussed on the appropriateness of the mountain being named for Lord Hood, a man who fought against the states during the War of Independence. You're focussed on epidermal melanin. It's - odd.
Mt McCall it is then

Old 09-01-2015, 09:53 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Lightbulb McKinley to be rename Danali like it was before

Actually, it's original name, Denali, has been restored is all.

Alaskans have called it that for decades. Denali is in their state, and it's the centerpiece of Denali National Park.

Obama's action only changes the name on federal maps.

A bunch of Ohio congressmen have tried to block this for that past 40 years. Denali isn't in Ohio.

They can sit down now.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:16 PM

50,804 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Surely the relevant Alaskan Native Americans had an alphabet of their own.

If we are going to be "authentic," we should use that alphabet instead of our own.

Anything less would be alphabetic imperialism.
Why keep going to extremes.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:22 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump
19h19 hours ago Manhattan, NY

"President Obama wants to change the name of Mt. McKinley to Denali after more than 100 years. Great insult to Ohio. I will change back!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies