Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:52 AM

335 posts, read 376,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
But that's just the point, isn't it? Obama's consistent detractors have to dig for more obscure measures to find fault as the economy is growing steadily and we're gaining millions of private sector jobs. It's all moving in the right direction but many who staked their identity on Obama being a disaster can't let that mistaken belief go.

Any basic understanding of economics would reveal that people coming out of a massive recession will take a while to pay off debts and get back to having cash on hand to dispose of. That's just the reality of time. No president can control that other than help get jobs created and incomes rising so people can manage their finances.
Actually you miss the point either through ignorance or blindness to the facts. The number one cost to household spending is healthcare. Most households spend more on healthcare than anything else. Also stagflation has taken hold. Most things cost more then before. The paid off debt is an issue but not as much as you think. Most defaulted on the high mortgages. Also your economy which you state is roaring along must be for another country. It certainly is not the USA. We are barely limping along at 2-3%. This is after the BEA changed the way GDP was calculated last April. So do some reading and get some learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 11:58 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Face it, liberals and Democrats! Barack Obama simply couldn't pull off that Hope N' Change thing!

You were duped! You were bamboozled! You marched right off the cliff behind him!

Hope N Change baby! Someone grab me a bumper sticker!

We know you liberals will say "But, but, but....what about George W. Bush!" I'll remind you that Barack Obama was hired on the premise of providing HOPE and CHANGING things to rid America of the Bush years.

Well, American's have said, repeatedly, for 6+ straight years that the country is on the wrong track under Barack Obama.

For the clueless, that means the HOPE and CHANGE thing ain't working out!

It would be funny if we weren't talking about the future of the United States of America.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Direction of Country

Right Direction or Wrong Track - Rasmussen Reports™

Okeedokee, thanks for your input.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:38 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
Actually you miss the point either through ignorance or blindness to the facts. The number one cost to household spending is healthcare. Most households spend more on healthcare than anything else. Also stagflation has taken hold. Most things cost more then before. The paid off debt is an issue but not as much as you think. Most defaulted on the high mortgages. Also your economy which you state is roaring along must be for another country. It certainly is not the USA. We are barely limping along at 2-3%. This is after the BEA changed the way GDP was calculated last April. So do some reading and get some learning.
There's no need to be so mean. Have an adult conversation.

What you're advocating here is a single payer system that takes the burden of healthcare costs off individuals and businesses and disperses them through the overall population because everybody needs healthcare st some point, like other developed countries have.

We may get there someday, but needed an interim step first to break from the failed old system.

The economy is growing steadily and added hundreds of thousands of jobs a month. That can't be denied.

As I posted earlier, businesses are having trouble hiring low wage positions because better are available in the strong economy.

So, overall, we're doing well. Much better than before Obama and not in the realm of hyper growth that creates bubble collapses.

Growth is not the only goal. It must be sensible, too.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:24 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
Wow. You literally have no idea how an economy works and pumped what I read of that full of so much misinformation.

Unemployment rate when Bush left office: 7.6%, not roughly where it is now (5.3%). The UE rate was 4.2% when Bush arrived in January, 2001.

Unemployment is not a finite point that resets when a new guy takes over.

We were in a free fall when Bush left - losing about 800,000 jobs a month. Poverty had been climbing throughout his presidency, as had welfare recipients, even before the economic bubble collapsed. The unemployment rate was skyrocketing under Bush, out of control and on its way to double digits:

No president controls the price of a global commodity like oil. None. People who blame a president for that have no grasp of basic commodity markets.

The number of welfare recipients rose from the worst economic collapse we've ever had but has dropped by more than 1 million between 2013-2014, and will continue to drop.

Anyway, I'm done. You told too many lies in the first paragraph and I caught a glimpse of the word Benghazi down below, so we know the credibility isn't getting any better.
And when did the Democrats take over Congress??? 2006....and when did the economy start turning South???? And when did Dodd and Frank's fiasco of shoving down mortgages to those that couldn't possibly afford them????? To be fair, Bush was a culprit in that as well....as it relates to oil, SEQUESTRATION is not exactly free, is it? Pumping/printing money is a stop gap AND a GAMBLE....if the economy doesn't take off, then what? Oh, that's right, debt.

So tell me Econ professor, is the 19 trillion in DEBT a lie? Am I lying about that along with the GAO? Is it a GOOD THING???? Is having 50 million on EBT a GOOD move? Did cash for clunkers really work??? Solyndra? Or, am I making that up as well? Benghazi....what would you call it, a victory? Have you NEVER watched the interview with the operatives (4) that were close by and were told to stand down or, were they all lying on National TV???

Please, to say we are better off now than then is laughable. To be sure, the wars didn't help, the mortgage based economy and Ponzi scheme came due. Your guys answer to everything is just spend, spend, and spend some more....how's that working out for us now???

Defend those items above...take a shot....start with 19 trillion in debt....every Democrat always avoids that question.....blame it on Bush like your bad date last week...must have been his fault too.....your guy has had the reins for going on 7 years.....it's time you take accountability for a bad, bad choice.

Start with the 19 trillion in debt....start with Lois Lerner after that and how she got clipped...start with Hillary's emails after that and how this all part of a vast right wing conspiracy.

In short, you can't.

But, because I'm such a liar and unlike you, I will show more than a snapshot...here's some things you can read and weep and if you want, continue defending your guy and team....

Dept to GDP through the Bush/Obama Years....hurts...don't it?
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/unit...nt-debt-to-gdp

Debt Clock.....ouch....must have created this piece of fiction, huh? Did George Bush do all this???? ROFLMAO!!!
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

But wait! There's more skippy! How's this for a RISING debt snapshot unlike that BS you provided....note the rise during your president's presidency.....Ba.....Boom......
https://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/...ebt_histo5.htm

GM Bailout......note how we lost 16 billion and how they used tarp funds to bailout and gave us back stock...oh boy...helped the unions, er democrat votes......screwed non-union types and of course, the US taxpayer....when do we get our money back? ALL 16 billion of it???
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/conncar...llion-n1952771

More good news from your team on Solyndra.....5 billion.....
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...unded-solyndra

Here's another turd.....cash for clunkers....or am I making this up too?
http://hotair.com/archives/2013/11/0...ngs-institute/

John Gruber...real gem.....miracle he is still alive....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G790p0LcgbI

Remember these good ol' days with Sebelius???
http://reason.com/archives/2013/10/1...llout-disaster

MORE trouble for that lying SOS Lois Lerner.....
http://legalinsurrection.com/2015/09...to-toby-miles/

The Clintons....it's okay, he just gets blown and she just lies as much as he does about it and emails....when did we start expecting less from US Presidents???
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...nghazi/396182/

More on Hillary....it wasn't a video....she knew it from the onset, lied to the father of one of the dead navy seals guarding the embassy and you guys just keep denying it....
http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/20...exposed-by-jw/

Please between the constant lies, I won't even get into the racial tension that NO ONE can deny at this point, the witch hunt on officer Darren Wilson and ultimate acquittal and not even an apology......it's a free country, believe and defend who you wish....just do so with some integrity.....if Bush SUKED....your team is a vacuum....

Last edited by Caleb Longstreet; 09-01-2015 at 04:03 PM..

Old 09-01-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
And when did the Democrats take over Congress??? 2006....and when did the economy start turning South???? And when did Dodd and Frank's fiasco of shoving down mortgages to those that couldn't possibly afford them????? To be fair, Bush was a culprit in that as well....as it relates to oil, SEQUESTRATION is not exactly free, is it? Pumping/printing money is a stop gap AND a GAMBLE....if the economy doesn't take off, then what? Oh, that's right, debt.

First, stop yelling. Use spaces more and punctuation less. You come off as unhinged.

Democrats took over in January, 2007, not 2006. Barely.
They had a slim majority in the House and tied in Senate 49-49 with 2 caucusing independents.

It created a stalemate with the president and minority party. At best, stopped the bleeding of the prior 6 years of mismanagement. There was no sweeping legislation that could have driven the economy into the ground.

We had a bubble that burst. Banks collapsed.

To take such a simplistic approach of trying to force everything into a neat box of dates just lacks all concept of legislation, the time it takes to pass and impact, and the market's response. What collapsed in 2007 was set in place years earlier and never corrected.

Quote:
So tell me Econ professor, is the 19 trillion in DEBT a lie? Am I lying about that along with the GAO? Is it a GOOD THING???? Is having 50 million on EBT a GOOD move? Did cash for clunkers really work??? Solyndra? Or, am I making that up as well? Benghazi....what would you call it, a victory? Have you NEVER watched the interview with the operatives (4) that were close by and were told to stand down or, were they all lying on National TV???
I never said the debt was a lie, nor that it is a good thing. It was growing well before Obama and the recession kicked it into overdrive.

Just because things aren't perfect doesn't mean the economy and our outlook isn't on an upward trajectory. People are employed again. Government jobs are shrinking, private jobs growing by millions.

We have a sensible military strategy. We have diplomacy that works. We respond to natural disasters and recover.

Debt to GDP has leveled off from its growth that began in 2001. Hopefully it will start declining.

Whatever Benghazi has to do with it, I have no idea. You know how many people were killed at US embassies under Reagan's watch? Hundreds. Embassies are dangerous places in unstable countries.

No wrongdoing was found in Benghazi reports led by Republicans.

Quote:
Please, to say we are better off now than then is laughable. To be sure, the wars didn't help, the mortgage based economy and Ponzi scheme came due. Your guys answer to everything is just spend, spend, and spend some more....how's that working out for us now???

Defend those items above...take a shot....start with 19 trillion in debt....every Democrat always avoids that question.....blame it on Bush like your bad date last week...must have been his fault too.....your guy has had the reins for going on 7 years.....it's time you take accountability for a bad, bad choice.

Start with the 19 trillion in debt....start with Lois Lerner after that and how she got clipped...start with Hillary's emails after that and how this all part of a vast right wing conspiracy.

In short, you can't.
Funny you assume I'm liberal. I'm a pragmatist, not a stooge for an ideology. If this site weren't so that overrun with fringe conservatives, you might see how non-liberal I really am.

You're a radical partisan. You see winners and losers. I see solutions for the right time for our country.

Objectively speaking, our country is doing far better today than it was before this administration. You can - and have - nitpicked specific matters that need fixing, but the difference in management is night and day.

You have lost this debate.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-01-2015 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: name calling

Old 09-01-2015, 07:24 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
First, stop yelling. Use spaces more and punctuation less. You come off as unhinged.

Democrats took over in January, 2007, not 2006. Barely.
They had a slim majority in the House and tied in Senate 49-49 with 2 caucusing independents.

It created a stalemate with the president and minority party. At best, stopped the bleeding of the prior 6 years of mismanagement. There was no sweeping legislation that could have driven the economy into the ground.

We had a bubble that burst. Banks collapsed.

To take such a simplistic approach of trying to force everything into a neat box of dates just lacks all concept of legislation, the time it takes to pass and impact, and the market's response. What collapsed in 2007 was set in place years earlier and never corrected.

I never said the debt was a lie, nor that it is a good thing. It was growing well before Obama and the recession kicked it into overdrive.

Just because things aren't perfect doesn't mean the economy and our outlook isn't on an upward trajectory. People are employed again. Government jobs are shrinking, private jobs growing by millions.

We have a sensible military strategy. We have diplomacy that works. We respond to natural disasters and recover.

Debt to GDP has leveled off from its growth that began in 2001. Hopefully it will start declining.

Whatever Benghazi has to do with it, I have no idea. You know how many people were killed at US embassies under Reagan's watch? Hundreds. Embassies are dangerous places in unstable countries.

No wrongdoing was found in Benghazi reports led by Republicans.

Funny you assume I'm liberal. I'm a pragmatist, not a stooge for an ideology. If this site weren't so that overrun with fringe conservatives, you might see how non-liberal I really am.

You're a radical partisan. You see winners and losers. I see solutions for the right time for our country.

Objectively speaking, our country is doing far better today than it was before this administration. You can - and have - nitpicked specific matters that need fixing, but the difference in management is night and day.

You have lost this debate.
Nitpicked?... Really? 9 trillion in incremental debt is nitpicking? Can you really look in a mirror and say that with a straight face? I'm quite inside right thank you very much and am quite a pragmatist on illegals and healthcare. You assume too much. Saying GDP is leveling after roughly tripling is like saying you are kinda pregnant. So much for pragmatic views.

NO one is saying Bush was perfect. I used to call him America's favorite vegetable and believe me, Icahn level plenty of criticisms on the right so, no ideologue here. Just ask next time. Dont assume. You have a knack for glossing over real, documented problems. You left out replies on GM, Solyndra, and dismissed Benghazi outright. Problem for you is there is one real pissed off dad of a dead Navy Seal and she lied about the video. Thes that lying trait again. She can never escape it.

Budget cuts are well expected to include the military. And yes, I'm a republican who served and firmly believe we spend too much on the military. We need to tone it down, improve what we have and wait for better times.

This sites overrun with fringe elements? Have you really analyzed the media in general? You know, the democratic party is funny. They espouse they are the party of inclusion. That is, until you disagree with them. Look at your verbiage carefully. Fringe.....radical partisan..ideologue....all sound bites devoid of original thought. Now look at mine. Right at the facts. Period.

as far as saying debt was growing is funny. Growing is adding what? A half a trillion a year? Explain 9 trillion in 5 years? Almost 2 trillion a year. That's not a natural progression that's an addiction. And you make it sound like it was inevitable. I would say you are wrong. It's a choice and leaders can usually defend it. Yours can't.

Benghazi is relevant, like Lerner, like Sibelius, because its part of his cabinet and team. Same could be said for Chanelys antics under Bush. Not good. As far as embassies being blown up (Beirut in 1983) you would be correct. Difference being is that Regan, unlike your team, took full responsibility for it. See the diffence? To Regans credit, he freed the hostages in Iran the day he took office. Why? Because Iran was never afraid of Jimmy Carter. They were very afraid of Regan. Fast forward to today. We are the laughingstock of foreign diplomacy. We are no long respected as a true NATO power mostly due to your guys inability to solve any problems that arise along with Hillary's brilliance overseas.

Lost this debate? Try game, set, match.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Nitpicked?... Really? 9 trillion in incremental debt is nitpicking? Can you really look in a mirror and say that with a straight face? I'm quite inside right thank you very much and am quite a pragmatist on illegals and healthcare. You assume too much. Saying GDP is leveling after roughly tripling is like saying you are kinda pregnant. So much for pragmatic views.

NO one is saying Bush was perfect. I used to call him America's favorite vegetable and believe me, Icahn level plenty of criticisms on the right so, no ideologue here. Just ask next time. Dont assume. You have a knack for glossing over real, documented problems. You left out replies on GM, Solyndra, and dismissed Benghazi outright. Problem for you is there is one real pissed off dad of a dead Navy Seal and she lied about the video. Thes that lying trait again. She can never escape it.

Budget cuts are well expected to include the military. And yes, I'm a republican who served and firmly believe we spend too much on the military. We need to tone it down, improve what we have and wait for better times.

This sites overrun with fringe elements? Have you really analyzed the media in general? You know, the democratic party is funny. They espouse they are the party of inclusion. That is, until you disagree with them. Look at your verbiage carefully. Fringe.....radical partisan..ideologue....all sound bites devoid of original thought. Now look at mine. Right at the facts. Period.

as far as saying debt was growing is funny. Growing is adding what? A half a trillion a year? Explain 9 trillion in 5 years? Almost 2 trillion a year. That's not a natural progression that's an addiction. And you make it sound like it was inevitable. I would say you are wrong. It's a choice and leaders can usually defend it. Yours can't.

Benghazi is relevant, like Lerner, like Sibelius, because its part of his cabinet and team. Same could be said for Chanelys antics under Bush. Not good. As far as embassies being blown up (Beirut in 1983) you would be correct. Difference being is that Regan, unlike your team, took full responsibility for it. See the diffence? To Regans credit, he freed the hostages in Iran the day he took office. Why? Because Iran was never afraid of Jimmy Carter. They were very afraid of Regan. Fast forward to today. We are the laughingstock of foreign diplomacy. We are no long respected as a true NATO power mostly due to your guys inability to solve any problems that arise along with Hillary's brilliance overseas.

Lost this debate? Try game, set, match.
I guess you didn't realize that the Republican-controlled House and Senate control the government's budget, not the president. Look in the mirror.

Haha. The highly profitable and effective GM of today that kept an entire region of the country from collapsing? The supply chain nightmare alone, not to mention a million jobs, were worth a little investment to keep our industrial base.

Solyndra? You have no idea how energy works I see. You know how many companies were successful?

Just a walking talking point machine who consumes too much fringe right-wing media. You really can't even spell Ronald Reagan's name?

Look - I'm sure you mean well. You're passionate, just led astray by propaganists. It's all good. Your heart's in the right place and you gave it a good try.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:38 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Quote:
And there was no proven targeting of Tea Party groups alone for political reasons. Just some good old fashioned government incompetence.

Only 1/3 of the applications set aside for further review were for conservative organizations and no applications were denied:

The IRS And The Tea Party: Probe Finds Big Bungling But Scant Fuel For Scandal
That article of yours is from over two years ago.

The IRS internal auditor has found there was targeting.
Obama defends IRS - Washington Times

And what does our president do? As usual, blames it on others, especially those on the other side of the aisle.

Overall, the latest conclusions are, quote, "mixed."

Senate probe into IRS targeting of Tea Party groups issues mixed report | Reuters

Old 09-02-2015, 06:41 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
There was plenty of Change-
but absolutley NO HOPE.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:29 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Six+ years of Obama and he did nothing to help the poor and middle class black Katrina victims of New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies