Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 10:50 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
A Muslim American group is planning to file a discrimination suit with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on behalf of a Muslim flight attendant who objects to serving alcohol, based on her religious beliefs.
Anyone can sue for anything

doesn't mean they will win. Doesn't mean anything until they do.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:50 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
That would be better for her cause. Make a martyr out of her. Persecute the Christians for standing up for their religious beliefs. Maybe you would like to boil her in oil or burn her at the stake next.

In any case, if they put her in jail, you people will never hear the end of it. Which is why the plaintiff's attorney requested that she not be jailed.

I hope they just dismiss the charges and let her go about her business. But if they feel the need to react in a hostile and vindictive manner towards this Christian woman, then I agree with you, I hope they put her in jail too.
Do you really think that the judge that ordered her to issue the licenses is going to just drop the charge of refusing to follow judicial orders? Really?

Old 09-02-2015, 10:52 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
That would be better for her cause. Make a martyr out of her. Persecute the Christians for standing up for their religious beliefs. Maybe you would like to boil her in oil or burn her at the stake next.

In any case, if they put her in jail, you people will never hear the end of it. Which is why the plaintiff's attorney requested that she not be jailed.

I hope they just dismiss the charges and let her go about her business. But if they feel the need to react in a hostile and vindictive manner towards this Christian woman, then I agree with you, I hope they put her in jail too.
Quote:
And Jesus said to them, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's." And they were amazed at Him.
This quote.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:53 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
can't fire an elected official. Next step is "contempt" fines, that can escalate. If that doesn't work she is sent to jail.
She could also go straight to jail. It's likely that the judge will seek a remedy to get that office to promptly begin issuing marriage licenses again. If that can be accomplished by her being absent from the office, because she is ordering her deputy clerks to also refuse to issue marriage licenses, then the judge could put her in jail for contempt, and then order the deputy clerks in her office to begin issue licenses.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:56 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
There is a higher law than the Supreme Court.
That may be true, but until God's cops show up we'll just have to satisfied with the Supreme Court.

Quote:
There is no such thing as marriage between homosexuals.
There is now.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:59 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Christians should stand up for their beliefs. There's nothing stopping this woman from shouting from the rooftops her beliefs. However, she cannot impose her religious beliefs into government functions. As a government functionary, when she imposes her personal religious beliefs on the functions of her government office, she is essentially acting as government establishing a religion. Which is expressly forbidden by our Constitution.
As a Christian, she cannot support this outrageously sinful and offensive act. She respects the law of God as higher than the law of man, and is right to do so. The US Constitution and the laws of this country are of secondary importance in this instance.

She cannot accommodate these people. It is as simple as that.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
As a Christian, she cannot support this outrageously sinful and offensive act. She respects the law of God as higher than the law of man, and is right to do so. The US Constitution and the laws of this country are of secondary importance in this instance.

She cannot accommodate these people. It is as simple as that.
If she cannot in good conscience fulfill the duties that the people elected her to fulfill, then good conscience would compel her to resign from that office.

The fact that she refuses to resign, and refuses to perform her duties, means that she is trying to establish her religion in a government function, and that is expressly forbidden by our Constitution.

It's as simple as that.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:03 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,415 times
Reasonable accommodation for this woman is not to allow her to continue denying certain people access to a service they are legally entitled to.

Reasonable accommodation. If she were applying for this position and she told them, no I won't do this function of the job, she wouldn't get it.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:05 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If she cannot in good conscience fulfill the duties that the people elected her to fulfill, then good conscience would compel her to resign from that office.

The fact that she refuses to resign, and refuses to perform her duties, means that she is trying to establish her religion in a government function, and that is expressly forbidden by our Constitution.

It's as simple as that.
She disagrees and so do many others, such as myself.

And it is the Justices of the Supreme Court who issued this improper judicial decree that need to resign from office, not her.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
She disagrees and so do many others, such as myself.

And it is the Justices of the Supreme Court who issued this improper judicial decree that need to resign from office, not her.
I understand that she and you disagree. There are many Christians who would like the United States to be a theocracy. There are more Americans who do not want that. And since we are not a theocracy, Ms Davis cannot dictate the functions of her government position based on her religious beliefs. By all means, express your religious beliefs, try to persuade people to believe as you do, share your outrage with us that not everyone believes as you do. I support your freedom of speech, and your freedom of religion 100%. And because I support your freedom of religion, and my freedom of religion, I recognize the inherent value in a government that does not establish or promote one particular religion over others. I wish that you could see how our secular government safeguards all our religious beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies