Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Black Lives Matter and aggressive Protests led to more black deaths?
Yes, the murder rate has jumped. 34 75.56%
Not Sure. 4 8.89%
No, I am sure something else caused the spike in inner city murders. 7 15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 11:37 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,859,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Why is the rhetoric of the BLM so influential ...and damaging.....while the CONSTANT right wing rhetoric concerning blacks as irresponsible, dumb and violent people not triggering any negative reactions? I can term that the "Black lives are irresponsible and stupid" movement. At least the BLM movement does not have their own TV station that can pump their view points to 300 plus million people daily.

So the police gets called out for overzealous policing, that sometimes takes lives unnecessarily...and putting a negative spot light on the police is creating a negative REACTION in the police. Fine, then you conservatives should realize the power of your rhetoric and the REACTION it creates in the black community from all the problems you are constantly pointing out about blacks. Hey...if your theory is plausible, then it is equally plausible that the bad mouthing and constant chastising of black people by white conservatives is what is contributing to, if not creating, the dysfunction in the black community.

Here is the thing also. I do not see any white people holding any anti-violence rallies or marches in the black community. Why is that.....given the degree that you recognize it as a problem. If you recognize it as the REAL problem....then what are you doing about it? If it is really about "all lives" and not just "black lives" then why should just "black lives" be concerned and protesting against the violence in the black community? If "all lives mattered" then you would not put the burden on blacks lives and black groups to march, protest and demonstrate to help these communities in trouble.
I do agree with your last paragraph. In general, people tend to be rather empathetic if it does not directly involve them, so I agree that white people and all people could probably do more to rally behind the problem. The thing is, that it's happening in black communities, and it is much easier to get behind a movement if a group like BLM were actually addressing an issue like black on black violence on a country-wide scale. I don't think it would go over too well to have a bunch of white "outsiders" proactively leading protests against black on black violence. I've always said that respectful dialogue both ways between police and the community is a way to start. I don't see this out of BLM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 11:53 AM

15,625 posts, read 10,378,651 times
Quote:
If that is the case....then they should be fired. Tax payers pay the salaries of the police....and yes....black lives pay taxes also....despite the belief of conservatives. You mean to tell me that the police cannot police if they are not allowed to kill unarmed people? It's like the Clerk in Kentucky....if she cannot do her job she should be fired.
Black Lives Matter doesn't want the cops. They want basketball courts.

Black Lives Matter activists disrupt Bowser speech on how to stop killings - The Washington Post August 27, 2015

Bowser (D) planned to announce a wide-ranging, $15 million plan to boost both community programs and police presence in response to a 43 percent spike in killings this year. The plan includes financial incentives to keep police on the force despite a looming retirement bubble, as well as legislation that would increase some penalties for violent crime and give police the power to search the residences of violent ex-offenders.

But protesters linked to a nationwide movement that has mobilized over allegations of police misconduct erupted at her first mention of putting more officers on the streets. Community activists quickly joined the chants of “Black Lives Matter” with their own demands for jobs and recreation centers.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:55 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,699,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I do agree with your last paragraph. In general, people tend to be rather empathetic if it does not directly involve them, so I agree that white people and all people could probably do more to rally behind the problem. The thing is, that it's happening in black communities, and it is much easier to get behind a movement if a group like BLM were actually addressing an issue like black on black violence on a country-wide scale. I don't think it would go over too well to have a bunch of white "outsiders" proactively leading protests against black on black violence. I've always said that respectful dialogue both ways between police and the community is a way to start. I don't see this out of BLM.
No....they (whites) would/could be leading marches and rallies to corporate boardrooms, chambers of commerce, city Hall and the like to get investing and funding for recreational facilities, sports leagues, after school programs, job training programs and the like in many inner-city struggling communities. That is where they can make a difference.....if ALL LIVES really mattered.

I mean really.....I just do not see the intelligence in condemning the BLM movement for WHAT THEY ARE NOT DOING. A jack of all trades becomes a master at none. We live in a society and economy based upon specialization. You tackle problems by having people who have a narrow focus hone in on a particular problem. You lose efficiency by having entities try to do everything. The BLM movement should be singular in their focus, if that is their focus. OTHERS should step up to fill other niches.

There is some legitimate issues with the BLM movement, however, their narrow focus I do not see as being one of them.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Black Lives Matter doesn't want the cops. They want basketball courts.

Black Lives Matter activists disrupt Bowser speech on how to stop killings - The Washington Post August 27, 2015

Bowser (D) planned to announce a wide-ranging, $15 million plan to boost both community programs and police presence in response to a 43 percent spike in killings this year. The plan includes financial incentives to keep police on the force despite a looming retirement bubble, as well as legislation that would increase some penalties for violent crime and give police the power to search the residences of violent ex-offenders.

But protesters linked to a nationwide movement that has mobilized over allegations of police misconduct erupted at her first mention of putting more officers on the streets. Community activists quickly joined the chants of “Black Lives Matter†with their own demands for jobs and recreation centers.
It looks to me that the plan violated the constitutional rights of citizens. It's appears again to be the trade off between liberty and security.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:07 PM

26,457 posts, read 15,049,695 times
IndenturedServant,
So you agree with me.

These protests have led to more black deaths.

Now we are just debating how many more hundreds of blacks have died from this and in how many cities.

You concede that more blacks have died due to protests in Baltimore and St. Louis.

Would you also concede it for Milwaukee?

Since the protests in other cities that have made those cops more cautious, arrests in Detroit have also plummeted and at the same time more blacks have died as arrests there have dropped.

Do you think it is possible that cops in other cities have TV/internet/radio/newspaper access to the protests and riots in Baltimore and St. Louis and realize that it could happen where they work? Leading to "afraid" cops who make less arrests, leading to more blacks killing blacks throughout many urban centers?

Old 09-04-2015, 12:27 PM

15,625 posts, read 10,378,651 times
Quote:
It looks to me that the plan violated the constitutional rights of citizens. It's appears again to be the trade off between liberty and security.
Naw. It appears black lives matter preferred a few new bball courts. I guess the BLM hecklers figured, what is a 43% increase in black men's homicide rate....pffffft.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
IndenturedServant,
So you agree with me.

These protests have led to more black deaths.

Now we are just debating how many more hundreds of blacks have died from this and in how many cities.

You concede that more blacks have died due to protests in Baltimore and St. Louis.

Would you also concede it for Milwaukee?

Since the protests in other cities that have made those cops more cautious, arrests in Detroit have also plummeted and at the same time more blacks have died as arrests there have dropped.

Do you think it is possible that cops in other cities have TV/internet/radio/newspaper access to the protests and riots in Baltimore and St. Louis and realize that it could happen where they work? Leading to "afraid" cops who make less arrests, leading to more blacks killing blacks throughout many urban centers?
No...I don't think the protest has anything to really do with it directly in other cities. What is making the police apprehensive is media coverage and not knowing if someone is around with a camera to video them in action. Before video, it used to just be the police word against witnesses or the victim if they survive, and the benefit of the doubt always went to the police officers. Thus, police have traditionally been able to abuse their legal power, as part of their crime fighting strategy....and please.....don't try to act like the profession is saints when you have priest molesting children.

What has changed now is a series of high profile incidents where the police have been caught on tape and the police now cannot abuse their power without fear of being caught in the act. You have to remember that police abuse has been going on for decades. That is why in the 70's it became popular to take a picture of a person before they went into police custody so that when the get beat down by police in interrogation the police could not lie and say they looked like that before they were picked up. Thus, what I am saying is that ABUSE has ALWAYS been part of policing....especially in big cities. Now, due to technology, the police can't lie and get away with things like they used to, because someone may have recorded the incident.

None of this is related to BLM. This is related to all those people who have captured the police on video and the subsequent exposure that it receives on TV....and how THAT is making the police look bad. Its not BLM movement that is making the police look bad.....its the videos of the police that are. In fact, the more I think about it I reject the idea that the BLM movement is directly or indirectly related to the increase in violence in Bmore or STL. That is the result of police being wary of starting another riot because of simmering resentment from the last incident. BLM had nothing to do with starting the riots.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
If anything it is the rioting and the idiots saying "Cops are pigs, fry 'em like bacon," tied to "Black Lives Matter" that are (even though they aren't really tied to it.)

Old 09-04-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If anything it is the rioting and the idiots saying "Cops are pigs, fry 'em like bacon," tied to "Black Lives Matter" that are (even though they aren't really tied to it.)
If you honestly think police and others gives a damn about what BLM is saying....you are sadly mistaken. I mean....come on. It's that same BS erroneous thinking you all have when you assume blacks are being led by Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. I mean.....a lot of you all actually believe that stuff....which is scary because you are so adamant while being so wrong. BLM is not running jack slit!!! No police department is making policy based upon BLM....lol......to believe that is utterly nonsense.

Now.....all police agencies know that the black community is on edge about police abuse and they know that people have cell phones everywhere and many departments now have to wear camera's on them. Now that they are being so closely watched.....they cannot operate business as usual. They are likely questioning themselves more. That is all a by product of the evolution of events that really started back with Rodney King incident being caught on video. Thus, I do believe that the police are being a lot more cautious. I had a cop stop me for speeding, which I was, and at the end he asked me if he treated me ok.....I said sure. So yeah....I know its own the minds of the police. That said, to blame it on the rise of murders in cities other than than the cities that experienced riots is a stretch.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:18 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,763,682 times
Quote:
If that is the case....then they should be fired.
And replaced with who or what?
The US spends a fraction of what other countries spend on their police forces. We spend a lot on prison, but nowhere close to what similar countries spend on police.
And we won't. We are never going to be London with 10x the number of officers per capita of every major US city and paying upwards of $110k for non-command beat officers. We won't even be Canada with entry level police pay over $80k and twice as many officers per capita as US cities.

We have an ongoing trend started in the early 70s of divesting in local government across the board. This has tanked education, it has tanked policing too. Unless some magic pot of money shows up to suddenly pay police dramatically better and hire them in much larger numbers, who or what are you going to replace the police forces with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies