Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 02:50 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
The situation in Syria and Iraq is "a very big problem" …

This isn't like giving help after a big natural disaster … This is going to keep on keeping going on for another long time …

As to living conditions in Hungary as a refugee, I have no direct personal experience, so I'm not in a position to question people who are actually *there* on the ground in the camps ...
There's nothing wrong with the situation in Hungary, is there? There is no civil war. It's a safe country. Why are people from Syria refusing to register, per EU law, in the country that is first point of entry in the EU?

Europeans are treating this like a natural disaster - an unpredictable situation that must be managed as best as possible, with the intent to sort it out over the next several months.

Watch the video at 1:17m LiveLeak.com - Hungary: Over 1000 refugees march along busy M1 highway towards Vienna

Old 09-06-2015, 02:52 PM

16,590 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Migrant crisis: Photo of drowned boy sparks outcry - BBC News

While what is happening in Syria is absolutely horrible, Syria needs to be livable for Syrians. The West cannot continue accepting refugees and immigrants from Muslim lands without strict controls and proper assimilation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I wonder how many ISIS and other terrorist are riding those trains to Europe?

Seems like a good way to move troops undetected.
Indeed

I seriously wonder why whites, or even generalized more as western culture is willing to try and assimilate various ethnic cultures, when many of the cultures in question have shown they will not assimilate?

Israel for example knows that if they allowed a bunch of Arabs/Muslims in, they would cease to be a Jewish state.
Why is it so hard for countries like Germany, Austria, and America (to name a few) to understand that changing the language, culture, and having open borders will lead to irrevocable changes never intended by our Founding Fathers when they created our country?

`

Old 09-06-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
The term for that notion is "xenophobia" …

(One hopes they are not bring in blankets infested with smallpox or lice carrying "The Plague" …)
I don't think anyone will disagree that it is politically incorrect to state that this appears to be more of an invasion of Western Europe than people seeking refuge. Many have refused refuge in Greece, Turkey, and Hungary, so clearly refuge is not the goal, but it is politically incorrect to point that out, and there are many derogatory names that are applied to those who do point it out.

However, we all know that when a discussion deteriorates to name calling and labelling, someone is unable to formulate a good response to the debate.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:55 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I find this type of statement troubling. Is this person in Hungary because she is a Syrian refugee, or is she in Hungary because she doesn't want to follow proper channels to immigrate to Western Europe? Why is death better than living in Hungary?

“I would rather walk, and die on the road, than live here [Hungary-]” Sidour says"

Refugee crisis: eight life stories from Budapest's Keleti station | World news | The Guardian
Thousands die trying to make the journey. I highly doubt anyone is enduring that because they "want to". I'm sure if there were a "proper channel" available to her in time to save herself-her family she would have jumped at the chance.

I'm not saying they should all get to stay or should be sent back or anything else...I just find it odd that so many people here seem to think this journey is something anyone would attempt if they had any other options at all.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:57 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I don't think anyone will disagree that it is politically incorrect to state that this appears to be more of an invasion of Western Europe that people seeking refuge. Many have refused refuge in Greece, Turkey, and Hungary, so clearly refuge is not the goal.
These people didn't just experience a bad storm or earthquake a couple weeks or months ago … They have been living in chaos and war and under oppression for a very long time -- years …

So, no … These refugees do not want to settle into permanent squalor and dependency in some refugee camp to which they have been assigned, however generously …

They want to reestablish their lives in a normal situation like normal people in a normal society … So they want to go to places like Britain, Germany, Canada, The USA, etc., where they can find work …

Old 09-06-2015, 03:38 PM

381 posts, read 277,564 times
Quote:
These people didn't just experience a bad storm or earthquake a couple weeks or months ago … They have been living in chaos and war and under oppression for a very long time -- years …

So, no … These refugees do not want to settle into permanent squalor and dependency in some refugee camp to which they have been assigned, however generously …

They want to reestablish their lives in a normal situation like normal people in a normal society … So they want to go to places like Britain, Germany, Canada, The USA, etc., where they can find work …

What makes you think these people have any skills?.it's not like all these countries quoted have lots of job vacancies.no the vast majority will be freeloaders."we are here now and now we demand you look after us".

Old 09-06-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Thousands die trying to make the journey. I highly doubt anyone is enduring that because they "want to". I'm sure if there were a "proper channel" available to her in time to save herself-her family she would have jumped at the chance.

I'm not saying they should all get to stay or should be sent back or anything else...I just find it odd that so many people here seem to think this journey is something anyone would attempt if they had any other options at all.
They do have other options, they just don't like them. They want to be in Germany because the country's economy is stronger than that of Greece, Turkey, and Hungary. They want a better standard of living than what is offered in Hungary, so they choose to continue walking across Europe. This is no longer about leaving Syria, which was accomplished when they landed in Greece, but about immigrating to a country that is economically desirable.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Greeks don't live in permanent squalor, nor to Turks, or Hungarians. The majority of immigrants are professionals, so they can make a strong contribution, and work, regardless of where they live after leaving Syria. Although they may have been refugees when they left Syria, today they are economic immigrants who have clearly demonstrated that they do not want to abide by EU law.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:24 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
This will be a social and economic mess for the countries that let these invaders in. The people who are welcoming this invasion are dolts. It will drive up unemployment, the needs for social services the cost of housing etc.
Maybe I'm invoking Godwin's Law here but I remember reading the same arguments against Jewish refugees during WWII. Just saying.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:42 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Are you insane? They are refugees. This is the worst refugee crisis since WWII.
"Close" only counts in hand grenades & horseshoes, the saying goes; but then again, you are not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies