Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 10:16 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
There are 3.5 million homeless in America already, how about you open your bleeding heart to them before accepting tens of thousands more from other countries? How callous are you that you'd accept Syrians before helping your neighbors?
If you can't see the difference then I don't know what to say. We are talking about families fleeing from a country of war
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 10:31 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
LOL I know what the phrase means but how does it apply to me. I was raised to believe to treat others the way you would want to be treated. If I was in this situation I would hope to god that someone helped me and my family. It's called compassion for your fellow man. I guess it's a concept you don't agree with.
You see, I firmly believe that charity starts at home. We take care of our own and if there is anything left over, then we help others. In other words, on a micro level you aren't going to let your family starve by putting non-family members first. On a macro level, we have millions of underemployed and unemployed American citizens who are suffering. They come first and foremost. We, as a country, are deep in debt. What resources we have need to be going to our own suffering citizens.

I guess that you feel that others come before suffering American citizens.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:40 PM

[quote=BOS2IAD;41089044]You see, I firmly believe that charity starts at home. We take care of our own and if there is anything left over, then we help others. In other words, on a micro level you aren't going to let your family starve by putting non-family members first. On a macro level, we have millions of underemployed and unemployed American citizens who are suffering. They come first and foremost. We, as a country, are deep in debt. What resources we have need to be going to our own suffering citizens.

I guess that you feel that others come before suffering American citizens.[/QUOTE]

Haven't americans always suffered some way or another. If charity starts at home then we wouldn't have hundreds of thousands of children waiting to be adopted. How are we taking care of them...we aren't. But how we can we turn a blind eye and ignore these poor families from other countries who desperately need help. Our country has never been war torn so we have no idea what it's like to live through that.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:42 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
If you can't see the difference then I don't know what to say. We are talking about families fleeing from a country of war
We're taliking, in many cases, about people who themselves perpetrated war, and are now on such bad terms with their neighbors and fellow citizens that they must run for their lives. These are the last people America should be accepting as immigrants.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
We're taliking, in many cases, about people who themselves perpetrated war, and are now on such bad terms with their neighbors and fellow citizens that they must run for their lives. These are the last people America should be accepting as immigrants.
And where is this info coming from. Is there a link.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:

Haven't americans always suffered some way or another. If charity starts at home then we wouldn't have hundreds of thousands of children waiting to be adopted. How are we taking care of them...we aren't. But how we can we turn a blind eye and ignore these poor families from other countries who desperately need help. Our country has never been war torn so we have no idea what it's like to live through that.

Thank you for making my point! The people in this country who need to be taken care of get pushed aside and "poor families from other countries" are coming first. This is wrong.

Charity starts at home. Period.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Thank you for making my point! The people in this country who need to be taken care of get pushed aside and "poor families from other countries" are coming first. This is wrong.

Charity starts at home. Period.
But there is no charity at home. We have an epidemic of unwanted children here. Yet nothing is done about it. How many have you adopted, I'm sure none.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
But there is no charity at home. We have an epidemic of unwanted children here. Yet nothing is done about it. How many have you adopted, I'm sure none.
I have my own family that comes first. And several relatives in my family have adopted children. If I had wanted a large family, I would have accomplished that through adoption. However, I know my limits when it comes to how many children I could support.

What about you? Have you adopted any children? Has anyone in your family done so?

Again, charity starts at home. If we can't even properly help the millions of Americans who are suffering, then we shouldn't be taking in others as that just puts them ahead of our citizens.

So, are you going to get in touch with the proper government agency and tell them you will take in several of these refugees?

Old 09-05-2015, 12:18 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
This situation should be shouldered fairly, and yes the United States should take in refugees.
Among Europe, each EU nation should take several hundred thousands, larger, wealthier nations naturally can take more Syrian and Afghan refugees.
The U.S and Canada have to take a good portion of these people, not some measly 1000 people. In Syria's own region, Saudi Arabia and Gulf States should also take refugees. One country missing in this equation that should also take in refugees is Iran, they support Bashar al-Assad and his bombing entire cities, allowing ISIS to attack rebels and hence take territory(hence making Iran-Assad-ISIS distant allies). Iran happily funds Assad and blasts regional nations like Turkey, which has taken hundreds of thousands of Syrians. Time for the Islamic Republic regime to put it's money where it's mouth is.
Russia included, if Vladimir Putin claims Syrians are fleeing ISIS not the "secular, moderate Assad", then take in those people fleeing ISIS.

So it is not just one country or region that has to take care of these Syrians escaping war, this is a collective responsibility of many nations.
For the past four and a half years, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey, as well as Egypt have taken way too many Syrians, as Europe just sat on it's butt and did nothing and fecklessly called on Assad to go and gave only words of support to the rebels.

Well the chickens have come to roost. And yes we the United States are part of the problem also, we have not taken a decent amount of refugees.
Feel free to have them sleep on your couch.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:24 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,435,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'll take any and all that can come in my home.

America is my home.
No, your house or apartment is YOUR home.

America is OUR home.

If you want the refugees to come here, take them into YOUR home.

And pay for them with YOUR money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies