Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think race relations will get better or worse after President Obama leaves office?
Yes 51 67.11%
No 25 32.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 10:05 AM

85 posts, read 84,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Stuff such as what I'm seeing here on C-D tells me race relations won't get better. Anytime there are a lion's share of threads talking about "Black people this" and Black people that", it tells me things aren't going to get better.
You want to know why everybody talks so much about blacks. Blame the media with their constant race baiting crap and propaganda they are throwing out there. It is always black this black that and it gets old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 10:19 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDays123 View Post
You want to know why everybody talks so much about blacks. Blame the media with their constant race baiting crap and propaganda they are throwing out there. It is always black this black that and it gets old.
And personal responsibility rests on the shoulders of those constantly complaining about blacks. I can't control the media. It's called not having the power the do that. It is up to the individuals not to complain. The reason I think like this? Because constant complaining about Blacks is nothing new. It was done over 100 years ago, and I believe many people haven't changed. There are many who hold people to their merit, and judge by individual. However, the loudest screamers are the bigots and racists, and those who constantly complain. I can only take responsibility for me.

By the very argument you present, I could argue that some Blacks behave the way they do because they are angry and what has been done for ages and won't forget about it. This whole "shaming Blacks" isn't going to get members of the Black underclass to improve. Regular Black people realize this.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:20 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDays123 View Post
I personally believe race relations will get better for all except blacks. The thing is until blacks get their house in order they will always see themselves as victims. They are the one's to blame because they have horrible family values. I mean they have the highest out of wedlock rates and the highest % of people on welfare so how are they going to progress in our society when they are so dependent on government to take care of them. Education is key but I just see the black youth more into emulating rap stars and athletes rather than Ben Carson or Neil deGrasse. Until they fix their family structure and value system they will be this country's permanent underclass. Asians have already surpassed them and soon Hispanics will too.
Education is the key. There are more Blacks with college degrees than ever before in this nation's history. The Blacks who have their act together expect other people to have theirs together. Keep judging Blacks by the very worst of their ethnicity, and race relations won't get better.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:40 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
It's the same way all over the world. It's not unique to America and it's something that has existed since the
dawn of man.
The thread is about THIS country.

That said, you're right of course...but that's the point. There's no reason to believe that this country is somehow so special that we'd be immune to the susceptibilities of other nations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course you are 100% right, but some see it as only a black/white problem here in America.
The thread is about America.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:46 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Do you think race relations will get better or worse after President Obama leaves office?

I personally think race relations will get worse as Blacks continue to face racial oppression and injustice. I don't see it getting any better after Obama presidency. What do you think?
Where are blacks facing racial oppression and injustice?

Obama has been race-baiting since he came to office. That is the problem. He actually has been fomenting this recent violence, and hatred of police by blacks, by his words, and through his actions (failure to condemn such things as the demonstrations by the "Black Lives Matter" movement of thugs chanting "Pigs in a blanket! Fry 'em like bacon!"

He makes comments like, "The Cambridge police acted stupidly," and "If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon Martin" (the young thug known as a street fighter, who was shot by George Zimmerman in self defense, when Martin went for Zimmermans gun as he was smashing Zimmerman's head into the ground and throwing punches at him "MMA style" (according to a witness), and who told his girlfriend, referring to someone whom he had beaten up that day, "He gonna haffa see me agin. He not bleed nuff yet.").

When we make heroes out of such people, and we don't condemn those that advocate for the killing of our police officers, but we politicize police encounters with these criminals as they are trying to do their jobs, we send the wrong message, and we actually embolden these thugs, resulting in more violence, and more deaths.

This has to stop. It isn't going to stop until Obama is out of office, and a new President is sworn in who has more sense than to let these activities go unpunished.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
A black person growing up in a project or an inner city neighborhood like Baltimore has a slim chance of getting out. Our policy prior to the 90's was to place them in projects and wonder why things never change.
so what do you suggest? Some do make it, and yes, many do not, but is it the fault of society or the fault of parents not teaching there kids there is a way out? There are a lot of kids raised in the inner cities, black or white who do manage to escape, if you want to use that word. More minorities are graduating from high school and going onto college then ever. How did they manage to succeed?

Sorry, I don't buy this crap. I do realize it is harder and yes, too many are overlooked, but this has been the situation for generations.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Education is the key. There are more Blacks with college degrees than ever before in this nation's history. The Blacks who have their act together expect other people to have theirs together. Keep judging Blacks by the very worst of their ethnicity, and race relations won't get better.
you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Yes, there are more blacks entering college and trade schools, and yet there are still serious problems: all in the inner city. Is that the fault of the whites or the fault of the family? No one can stop someone if they want to achieve. It is time inner city (not only blacks by anymeans) parents stop stressing the negatives to their kids and help them believe they can achieve. It is time mom says to Johnnie, even though I have to clean toilets for a living you can be just like Ben Carson if you want and not, because all we have is a welfare check to live on and you are black or live in a poor neighborhood don't expect to be accepted by the middle class. Your life will always be sad. Or how about mom or dad teaching Sally, you too can be another Condi Rice as long as you don't decide to get pregnant at 14.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:27 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Education is the key. There are more Blacks with college degrees than ever before in this nation's history.
That may be true, but it's not as good of a sign as you might think...

Blacks are far more likely to attend low-quality colleges, due to their lower prior academic proficiency levels:
Quote:
"Black Americans have a distinctly worse experience than other racial groups in terms of college quality. This is not to say the problem is solely with the college system: the gaps reflect the accumulated disadvantages of the prior eighteen years. But it serves as a stark reminder of the depth of the challenge."
Black Students at Top Colleges: Exceptions, Not the Rule

The quality of one's education matters.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:39 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Where are blacks facing racial oppression and injustice?

Some blacks suffer oppression, some whites suffer oppression, some Hispanics suffer oppression... In the case of blacks, I agree with George Washington Carver that when blacks (and many are) are good citizens in the community including respectful of others, learning skills and trades, contributing to the commerce and labor of the community in a positive way, they then will not face oppressive discrimination.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:05 PM

85 posts, read 84,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That may be true, but it's not as good of a sign as you might think...

Blacks are far more likely to attend low-quality colleges, due to their lower prior academic proficiency levels:
Black Students at Top Colleges: Exceptions, Not the Rule

The quality of one's education matters.
In the link you provided it states that 26% of Asians and 12% of Hispanics attend top docile colleges vs 9% of Whites and 4% of Blacks. I knew Asians outperformed everyone but did not expect that Hispanics had a higher % than whites at top docile colleges. I was already aware that most blacks do not attend top universities though. UCLA got caught trying to break the law by using race to bring in more blacks into their campus for diversity lol. California banned affirmative action in the 90's.

Blacks need to step it up or like I said they will forever be at the bottom. From the article you posted.

"In California, the picture is much worse. At University of California campuses in Irvine, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Berkeley, black enrollment shares fell by 1-4 percentage points, and currently stand between 1-2%. Just 4 percent of the University of Southern California’s students are black, compared to 7 percent in 1980. Meanwhile there have been large jumps in Californian enrollment rates for both Asians and Hispanics."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies