Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think race relations will get better or worse after President Obama leaves office?
Yes 51 67.11%
No 25 32.89%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 01:29 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Yes, there are more blacks entering college and trade schools, and yet there are still serious problems: all in the inner city. Is that the fault of the whites or the fault of the family? No one can stop someone if they want to achieve. It is time inner city (not only blacks by anymeans) parents stop stressing the negatives to their kids and help them believe they can achieve. It is time mom says to Johnnie, even though I have to clean toilets for a living you can be just like Ben Carson if you want and not, because all we have is a welfare check to live on and you are black or live in a poor neighborhood don't expect to be accepted by the middle class. Your life will always be sad. Or how about mom or dad teaching Sally, you too can be another Condi Rice as long as you don't decide to get pregnant at 14.
Well, I'm not talking about the inner city. The inner city is an extreme example. By that measure, I could bring up Appalachia, the reservations, or the barrios. People are saying "get more education". The people who are getting the education, they already know the deal. You don't tell a person whose education is in progress, or who already has an education "to get an education". You tell those individuals who aren't doing their part "to do their part". And name one time when I "blamed the White man".

And no one said it was impossible for anyone to achieve. Name one time someone in this forum said that. The ability to achieve does not negate that there is issues with race relations. I have a college diploma and I work. That doesn't negate that I could still be looked at suspiciously or treated in a bad manner because of my race.

No one has an issue discussing the inner city. The problem is that so many people want to discuss this out of context. Instead of talking specifically and only about the underclass, this is discussed as "Blacks as a whole". I don't live in the inner city, so it is not really my issue. Being subjected to racial prejudice will be my issue because even being an educated professional, it doesn't always shield me from prejudice. However, I don't suffer from the things the inner city suffers from. The Black people who know they can be something besides a rapper or drug dealer have moved away from the inner city/underclass or are trying to get away from there. This is why I discuss this in a specific way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 01:33 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Better if we elect somebody who is not a racist and a divider like Obama.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:45 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Here's something you need to understand. When someone talks about White supremacy, it's not about one random individual White person. It's much bigger than that. It's a system that was created by Whites centuries ago and continually maintain by Whites(collectively) as they are the beneficiaries of this oppressed system. You can't have oppressed people if there aren't people who benefit from it.
That doesn't fully answer my question though....who exactly is oppressing you?

Old 09-05-2015, 01:51 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Default Do you think race relations will get better or worse after President Obama leaves office?

It will stay the same until people pull them selves up from the gutter and take responsibility for bettering their lives.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:54 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It will stay the same until people pull them selves up from the gutter and take responsibility for bettering their lives.
For some people, the gutter is the best that they can do.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:03 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Race relations would improve if people judged the individual by one's individual merit. It doesn't help to use the worst of an ethnicity to judge everyone else. We already know there are criminals. That's a given. The people who aren't being criminals, who are being decent, let their actions stand for themselves, and let criminals do the time.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Race relations would improve if people judged the individual by one's individual merit. It doesn't help to use the worst of an ethnicity to judge everyone else. We already know there are criminals. That's a given. The people who aren't being criminals, who are being decent, let their actions stand for themselves, and let criminals do the time.
I am beginning to think it is a waste of time to try and reason with posters like you? Race relations are just fine except in the inner cities and heavy crime areas. I don't understand why you can't accept this? Sure, there are peope who are prejudice: we all have some prejudice in us: maybe you are against fat people or evangelicals or maybe single mothers or people who ride their bikes down the middle of the street or maybe people with tatoos are over their bodies. We are human, but for the most part the race issues are created in areas with high crime and little respect for authority.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
I don't think mr Obama was ever trying ever to forge better relationships with violent criminals
He wants to hold thugs accountable whether they wear blue uniforms or gangster clothing
Neither should be able to hide behind their protected social status of victim or protector

Old 09-16-2015, 09:57 AM

5 posts, read 6,083 times
Anything is better than Obama. No brainer.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:50 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,447,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryllynn84 View Post
Anything is better than Obama. No brainer.
Except Her Majesty.

El Nox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies