Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:35 PM

274 posts, read 297,941 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or does it seem like our society is approaching a boiling point?

No hope in politicians

Everyone claiming their a victim

people flying off the handle every where you look

political correctness gone wild

50% of this country doesn't pay taxes and it seems to be getting worse

few people under the age of 35 can afford to own their own home

major shortage of well-paying jobs

An increasing aggresiveness from poor people

Wages have stagnated

Millions of people in their 20s and 30S owe 10-20 years of student loans

radical people that want to hurt innocent people because of their own hatred (see black lives matter)

our infrastructure is in shambles

everyone seems stressed out and occassionally goes overboardmin workplace violence.

I mean I can go on and on.

I am an optimistic person, but things REALLY seem messed up right now.

Agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 12:08 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,835 times
I have felt it for a while.. as if the planet is gearing up to explode. Everything has become so negative, how can it not get to a person? The "News" stories alone have always been depressing and I don't always watch. There is so much that is wrong or are unable to change. I am an empathetic person, feeling things deeply since I was a child, so I absorb a lot. I never mean to dwell on the negative, but it's just there.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:11 AM

274 posts, read 297,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
I have felt it for a while.. as if the planet is gearing up to explode. Everything has become so negative, how can it not get to a person? The "News" stories alone have always been depressing and I don't always watch. There is so much that is wrong or are unable to change. I am an empathetic person, feeling things deeply since I was a child, so I absorb a lot. I never mean to dwell on the negative, but it's just there.
exactly. Everryone I talk to or meet is very negative. I mean you can have a conversation with them but it turns into complaining and negativity every time. I mean life can be tough but man everyone just seems down these days.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:41 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
things have been building up over the past 20 or so years. more and more people are becoming more thin skinned each day it seems.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:47 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post

Agree or disagree?
i disagree, for me i prefer life in the present than any time in the past.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:57 AM

884 posts, read 716,261 times
9/23/15. I have often wondered why our congress hasn't done a dam thing to get the worst president in history out of office. They have plenty of legal ammo to have done it along time ago. Yet he gets passes on everything. He cant have that much dirt on everybody who doesn't agree. Or does he? He sure came out of nowhere to get his job. The pope arrives later this month 9/23 or 9/24 and there have been predictions about this for ages. One made hundreds of years ago said pope and tall dark man meet 9/23 or 9/24. Spooky..

I am not a conspiracy theorist but man some good stuff about 9/23. If your curious just google 9/23 and see the predictions make hundreds of years ago and a bunch of stuff that may be just coincidence but wow, gave me the chills

Old 09-04-2015, 04:20 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
Quote:

No hope in politicians

Wages have stagnated

radical people that want to hurt innocent people because of their own hatred (see black lives matter)

everyone seems stressed out and occassionally goes overboardmin workplace violence.

Agree or disagree?

It's just you.

Turn off Fox News and stop listening to hate radio.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:56 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,703,499 times
I think reading some real history - not the glossed over kind - would put your mind at ease. Everybody always thinks they're living in end times and today we have a massive media industry that preys upon that fear and spins stories to make it seem like it's new.

People used to die rioting at their workplace for higher wages. In the 1940s riots erupted because of how poorly black people were being treated. People were enraged, but we just hear about WWII.

They won't tell you, for instance, Reagan took just as much heat for signing a deal with the USSR as Obama is taking over Iran, with unilateralists claiming he was empowering the enemy with nuclear weapons. All that gets washed out in the re-telling but since you're seeing it play out day by day for Iran it seems far more traumatic.

To wit, that nearly half of Americans who don't pay federal income tax you see as part of the collapse of society often simply don't make enough to qualify for a tax rate because of the standard deduction and/or qualifying for exemptions because they are elderly or working families with children.

Interestingly, Reagan dropped the tax burden of the lowest earners as a way to stimulate their economic power without big government programs, yet it's primarily conservatives who complain about these same people not paying taxes today.

Those on payroll do still pay Social Security and Medicare taxes, regardless.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:09 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,049 times
Quote:

No hope in politicians

Wages have stagnated

Agree or disagree?

I agree with most of what you said except for political correctness (not sure where you stand on black lives).

People much malign political correctness but all PC is is respecting other people in the way they are asking to be respected. It's about not being intentionally or thoughtlessly abrasive to one another. Why can't people do this?

I think professional comics should get a special dispensation for being politically incorrect because the whole point of comedy is to say something insane you don't necessarily believe in for a laugh. So there is ambiguity built in to the profession. But I'm speaking of only professionally recognized comics. Regular people should not try comedy at "home" and I think those who do can be rightfully called out and their beliefs questioned and challenged.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:19 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It's just you.

Turn off Fox News and stop listening to hate radio.

All news media focus on the negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies