Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 11:08 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The questions are basically asking about ethnicity and English as a 2nd language. Those, as well as a bunch of others asking about family income, education, etc. are typically filled out as part of the pre-test formalities.

As far as I've ever seen the College Board doesn't correlate Black (or any other ethnicity) with English as a 2nd language on its reports although it does disaggregate all the data for those questions as separate categories.

They might have something internally that's not released publicly, I don't know that.
That is not what I am addressing. I am addressing the poster's statement.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:08 AM

26,494 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I've heard liberals say that Hispanics get cheated out of education in America too.

If we can't ask why there is an Asian - white gap, etc...

Then shouldn't we be asking why there is a Mexican-American - black gap? Shouldn't we be asking why English as a second language performs better than blacks when adjusting for income.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
How do you know that the Mexican-American speaks English as a second language? How do you know that the "black" student did not speak English as a second language?

SMH.
Per the original link.

Mexican-American average score for 2015 was 1343.
Black average score for 2015 was 1277.

That is a noticeable difference.

On the ESSAY in ENGLISH writing portion of the exam, students that are English as a Second Language outperformed Blacks by a noticeable margin. ESL students had a mean essay score 6.9, blacks were 6.5. Overall writing score blacks 428, English only 506, English and another language 483, primarily another language 469. Why can't we ask why students who use primarily another language outperform certain segments of Americans on writing in English?

Everything I said was true.

Why are you denying facts?

If we can ask why there is white-black gap, but can't ask why there is an Asian-white gap due to "injustices" of the past etc...

Then why can't we ask why Mexican-Americans noticeably outperform blacks. Why can't we ask why ESL students outperform blacks?

https://research.collegeboard.org/si...chometrics.pdf

Old 09-06-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
My question missed you. Her statement was general as if there are no "blacks" who speak English as a second language.
No I did not say or assume that.

You struggle with reading comprehension.

I am merely pointing out the liberal fallacy that it is wrong to point out that Asian-white gap, but okay to point out the white-black gap due to poor schools etc...

Mexican-Americans are said to attend poor schools per liberal talking points, yet they noticeably out perform blacks.

ESL students (100% ESL) out perform blacks (Overwhelmingly not ESL) on writing essays in ENGLISH per the SAT.

I think there are cultural issues at play that are being ignored by liberals.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Per the original link.

Mexican-American average score for 2015 was 1343.
Black average score for 2015 was 1277.

That is a noticeable difference.

On the ESSAY in ENGLISH writing portion of the exam, students that are English as a Second Language outperformed Blacks by a noticeable margin. ESL students had a mean essay score 6.9, blacks were 6.5. Overall writing score blacks 428, English only 506, English and another language 483, primarily another language 469. Why can't we ask why students who use primarily another language outperform certain segments of Americans on writing in English?

Everything I said was true.

Why are you denying facts?

If we can ask why there is white-black gap, but can't ask why there is an Asian-white gap due to "injustices" of the past etc...

Then why can't we ask why Mexican-Americans noticeably outperform blacks. Why can't we ask why ESL students outperform blacks?

https://research.collegeboard.org/si...chometrics.pdf

No, you're not getting it.

My question is WHY do your statements assume that there are no "black" ESL students?

Why are you assuming that all "blacks" are Americans and speak English as a first language?

Goodness gracious!

Old 09-06-2015, 11:15 AM

85 posts, read 84,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
False-

ACT and SAT scores are the best indicator of college performance.

So are you saying that Stanford students with ACT scores of 34 are not more innovative or productive than those with ACT scores of 21 attending a community college?

The collective IQ of the nation is declining 1 point every decade. Why? The federal government is provicing financial incentives for idiots to reproduce. It is the movie "Idiocracy" realized- a liberal dream. The more dependent idiots, the more democrats.
People fail to see this. The government is encouraging the poor idiots of this country to have babies they could not otherwise afford by taking care of their hospital bill, housing and food. They are married to the state while the educated citizens are not having many kids as they are the responsible ones. This will lead to a stupid country in the future trust me.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
No I did not say or assume that.

You struggle with reading comprehension.

I am merely pointing out the liberal fallacy that it is wrong to point out that Asian-white gap, but okay to point out the white-black gap due to poor schools etc...

Mexican-Americans are said to attend poor schools per liberal talking points, yet they noticeably out perform blacks.

ESL students (100% ESL) out perform blacks (Overwhelmingly not ESL) on writing essays in ENGLISH per the SAT.

I think there are cultural issues at play that are being ignored by liberals.
Quote:

My question is WHY do your statements assume that there are no "black" ESL students?
Let me guess, you performed poorly on the reading section of the SAT?

Let me further guess that you performed poorly on logic tests if you don't see I have a legitimate point here.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:18 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Quote:
I didn't take school testing in elementary, middle or high outside of the SAT. Those were instituted after I graduated. Thus my questions.
I took IQ tests in elementary and high school in the 1960's. I doubt you're older than that.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I took IQ tests in elementary and high school in the 1960's. I doubt you're older than that.
Not all schools have administered them, as I am now reading. It depends on where you grew up and the type of school. Interesting.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Let me guess, you performed poorly on the reading section of the SAT?

Let me further guess that you performed poorly on logic tests if you don't see I have a legitimate point here.
Actually, YOU failed. This goes to show that there ARE black ESL students. Your statements are thus off-based because you spoke in absolutes.

Try again. I performed well on the SATs, graduated in the advanced program, had a high GPA and attended an elite institution.

Obviously misery loves company, but I cannot help if you failed in those areas...as well as the area of exposure.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:25 AM

85 posts, read 84,162 times
Quote:

Why are you assuming that all "blacks" are Americans and speak English as a first language?

Goodness gracious!
The % of Blacks that speak English as a second language is small in the USA. Black Hispanics account for 2.5% of the entire U.S. Hispanic population. Most African immigrants come from English speaking countries like Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya and South Africa. So yeah most blacks speak English as a first language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_...tino_Americans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies