Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 07:42 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You get a vote and that is how you protest where your tax dollars go. If you don't like that, then there are options like leaving for good.

Or you could be homeless and live under a bridge.
Voting for your master doesn't make you less of a slave, and the other two points are "if you don't like it, you can leave" which depends on the social contract. Why do I have to leave? My job, friends, and family are all here. I'd rather just be left alone, and have others left alone so we're able to have a voluntary society.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:42 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Not that I can think of. It used to be divine right of kings, but people don't believe that politicians/rulers have the right to rule from God anymore...so the social contract was what replaced that.
What would be the better or best replacement for the social contract?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:50 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I don't think there is a replacement. The only way that someone (or a group of people) can have legitimate authority over others, meaning they have the moral right to control others by force, is if those people agreed to that deal. If they didn't agree to be ruled, it can't be legitimate. Consent is the key...just like consent is the difference between rape and love-making, trade and theft, etc. If both sides consent, it's okay. If one has it forced on them, it isn't okay.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I don't think there is a replacement. The only way that someone (or a group of people) can have legitimate authority over others, meaning they have the moral right to control others by force, is if those people agreed to that deal. If they didn't agree to be ruled, it can't be legitimate. Consent is the key...just like consent is the difference between rape and love-making, trade and theft, etc. If both sides consent, it's okay. If one has it forced on them, it isn't okay.
How is a voluntary society implemented?

Old 09-06-2015, 08:03 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
@No_Recess and jetgraphics

I thought I'd get at least one person who tried to defend it, but I guess not. The worst part is that they'll still continue to use it in their arguments. "You live in our society, so you play by our rules", "you use government roads and infrastructure, police, fire services, etc.", "if you don't like government, move to Somalia"...

Whenever I mention that it's only okay to use force in retaliation to someone else using force first, and that applies to the government as well, it creates a lot of cognitive dissonance in people. The only options are a) you consent to it, so it's okay (which obviously isn't true), or b) they're just threatening you if you don't do what they want, because you happen to be in their territory (which isn't rightfully owned by them). It's the mafia model, except it's only sustainable if people think the whole thing is legitimate.
I knew responses would be anemic. I'll give CheGeekGuest credit for at least attempting to engage.

As for the other 99.9% on this forum who fall under "statist" they are too busy arguing over how armed robbers should spend the money stolen from them after the stick up.

I'd rather figure out the chicken-or-the-egg paradigm before engaging in that nonsense.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
How is a voluntary society implemented?
Birth. Human born free, free from social contract.

EDIT: Implementation implies a contract of some sort. Contract law for those who want it. Nothing for those that want nothing.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Contract law.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Birth. Human born free, free from social contract.

EDIT: Implementation implies a contract of some sort. Contract law for those who want it. Nothing for those that want nothing.
Parents or guardians would decide if their infants desired contract law or nothing? At what age would the person decide for themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Contract law.
Sounds a bit complicated. There would be many contracts, many more than the number of people living in a particular area. There would be benefits & disadvantages to this method.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:47 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Sounds a bit complicated. There would be many contracts, many more than the number of people living in a particular area. There would be benefits & disadvantages to this method.
That is the way it is with anything. I don't believe that social contract theory is the best way but it is the only way. Volunteerism has no teeth to it besides sanctions and boycotts which can be ineffective. If you and I have a disagreement, there is no force forcing me into court if you decide to use the legal system.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:50 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
Registered births are added to the treasury ,they are state property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies