Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 12:18 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
So you make a $150k a year or more and you have a boyfriend earning $12/hr....

Sure.
Maybe he is good in bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 12:32 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
My grandparents remember people living two families in a place the size of a two car garage.
Raising the minimum will:

Devalue your life's savings in the bank.
It will raise the cost of living in everything.

It is a scheme used by mostly one party to help buy a vote.
It is ALL RELATIVE. Raise the wage, pay more taxes and you will be paying $3 for things that used to cost $1.

The biggest losers in a raised minimum wage are retirees and their savings and anyone working on the low end looking for a job.

This is basic market business school stuff in action here. Now I pay you $15 an hour you have to be worth $30 to me to make you worth my time.

You want to tell me that anyone you have to train to sweep a lot, clean a window will be worth $30 to the employer?

Minimum wage hikes also kill black employment most.
Wages should be from the market and if we are made to compete with slave labor from China and India then just stick tariffs on them:

Old 09-06-2015, 12:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If people living in the cheap flyover states choose their living expenses carefully, they should be able to live on $12-15 an hour. However, few people want to move to low cost of living states. Who wants to move from California to the Dakotas?
Part of it is that, part of it is do those places have jobs. The Dakotas do have the oil fields but how long will that boom the way it has been doing?

Old 09-06-2015, 01:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
CEOs largely set their own compensation,

no they dont. they negotiate with the board of directors to set their compensation, but in the end its the board of directors that set the CEOs compensation, not the CEO themself.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:30 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Most of the local fast food employees are in their 20s and 30s. Several of them have college degrees but can't find other jobs.
Claims to having a "college degree" begs the question "In what?" Degrees in English, Art History, Lesbian Studies, Black Studies, Philosophy, Poetry, Communications, Greek and/or Roman Mythology, etc aren't going to lead to productive careers, but may be a case of the student either chasing an interest or finding an easy major.

The barista who makes my coffee each morning has a Masters' in Art History while the girl at the register whom I pay has one in Black Studies.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:59 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Claims to having a "college degree" begs the question "In what?" Degrees in English, Art History, Lesbian Studies, Black Studies, Philosophy, Poetry, Communications, Greek and/or Roman Mythology, etc aren't going to lead to productive careers, but may be a case of the student either chasing an interest or finding an easy major.
Well, I'm a History grad and I make almost $50k as a medical claims adjuster for Progressive. I'm content and quite happy, but I guess most people would consider me a failure since I don't do anything related to my major. Anyways, I don't regret college one bit because I needed it for my job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The barista who makes my coffee each morning has a Masters' in Art History while the girl at the register whom I pay has one in Black Studies.
We smell BS on that one.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:44 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times
I think 15 dollar amount minimum is a ridiculous idea. 15 dollars no matter what you do? The problem is, there are things I don't want to see go away because they are worth having, but the job isn't worth paying someone 15 dollars an hour to do. I'm in North Idaho and I think the best example I can think of is Silverwood our local amusement park. Most of the employees are seasonal and don't make anywhere near 15 bucks and hour. They hire people as young as 14 up to retired people that just want something to do. Open May thru Oct. Hundreds of people. I think a mandatory wage hike like that would cause the owner to close the park. Has anyone thought of this? These rich people that run places or own them, it is not going to be mandatory for them to keep that business in existence. If it isn't worth it financially to them it shuts down and those jobs are gone.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Think no matter what the old paid for skill level will dominate. Fair for skill level. Work market isn't charity; that' s what many asking for work welfare.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I think 15 dollar amount minimum is a ridiculous idea. 15 dollars no matter what you do? The problem is, there are things I don't want to see go away because they are worth having, but the job isn't worth paying someone 15 dollars an hour to do. I'm in North Idaho and I think the best example I can think of is Silverwood our local amusement park. Most of the employees are seasonal and don't make anywhere near 15 bucks and hour. They hire people as young as 14 up to retired people that just want something to do. Open May thru Oct. Hundreds of people. I think a mandatory wage hike like that would cause the owner to close the park. Has anyone thought of this? These rich people that run places or own them, it is not going to be mandatory for them to keep that business in existence. If it isn't worth it financially to them it shuts down and those jobs are gone.
well again, that depends, $15 per hour in new york city isnt much, where as $15 per hour in tucson az is a lot of money.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:22 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
So you make a $150k a year or more and you have a boyfriend earning $12/hr....

Sure.
May I suggest you sign up at the nearest community college for an English class to improve your reading comprehension skills?

Last edited by MetroWord; 09-06-2015 at 04:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies