Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 01:44 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times

Advertisements

What a dumbo. I mean, she signed up to be a flight attendant, which, AHEM, has to serve alcohol as part of their job description. What a clueless, attention-hungy broad. I hope the airline countersues for disruption of activities and insubordination.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:46 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
So where are Mike Huckabee and Ted Cruz? Aren't they supposed to be scrambling for photo ops with her? It's all about religious freedom after all.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:05 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
It sort of reminds me of a conversation I had with a Muslim friend one time. It started out with his question: "What does pepperoni taste like?" I suggested he try turkey pepperoni; no pork there. But he said he couldn't even do that because it would remind him of real pepperoni with pork.

So then I asked, "So what would happen to a Muslim like you if you had a serious heart problem and a valve could only be replaced with a valve made from a pig?", which at least at that time was not an uncommon heart operation. There was a very long pause and then, finally, "Well, we would make an exception to the rule."

Old 09-08-2015, 05:17 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
she just wanted time off to go to Oktoberfest ??

Old 09-08-2015, 05:21 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
she just wanted time off to go to Oktoberfest ??
She works the Budweiser booth to pick up a little extra cash.

Wonder if they'll give her that accommodation..

Old 09-08-2015, 06:14 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
So where are Mike Huckabee and Ted Cruz? Aren't they supposed to be scrambling for photo ops with her? It's all about religious freedom after all.

It's a scary thought just how religious and self righteous the USA has become. Huckabee and Cruz are part of the holier than thou types, that seem to plague much of the political world now. I can only hope people like them never become President. They have no clue a President has to be for all people, not just the religious conservative population. As for Ms I don't want to serve alcohol. Perhaps she and the other nitwit Kim Davis in Kentucky, can all go pray together. I've stopped watching the news reports on these people. I find all of them quite nauseating and not worth my time.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:30 AM

92 posts, read 111,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
It's a scary thought just how religious and self righteous the USA has become. Huckabee and Cruz are part of the holier than thou types, that seem to plague much of the political world now...
I don't know, but if you're referring to those Christian people as "the holier than thou types" I have to say, at least nowadays you don't hear much about Christians beheading other people for not believing in their religion. So in my opinion, if we were to have a large percentage of a certain religion in this country, I'd still chose the Christians over the other religion. I live in a area in Texas where you come in contact with a lot of Muslims or Islamists or whatever they call themselves(both young and old)and several have threatened other people in my community with beheadings and shootings for being infidels, or unbelievers. I haven't heard one Christian do that yet.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:27 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post

That is hilarious. Perhaps Hucakbee will offer to take one for the team like he did with that petty fascist Kim Davis. He can don a stewardess outfit and serve it up.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:30 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
What undue burden would that be? It isn't like an airliner is a bloody bar at happy hour.
?
Serving drinks along the aisles is about a quarter of the job in flight time. And the team members are limited.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:46 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
No, it's like people who are pharmacists refusing to dispense the morning after pill. If you cannot do all aspects of your job due to religious beliefs, then I think that's not the right job for you.

What if a flight contains nothing but Muslim attendants? Passengers are out of luck? Not good service and you lose customers that way.

What if the county clerk has three clerks, two of whom are out sick and one is out for lunch. A gay couple goes in looking for a license but must come back?

And while it's unfortunate that changes in the law can make a job unacceptable after you've been at it for a time, the bottom line is you either do the job you're asked to do, or change jobs.
I appreciate that the airline attempted to accommodate her beliefs, but ultimately your reasoning makes sense. Also, if her objection was not a religious one but personal (recovering alcoholic, husband was killed by drunk driver, etc.), she would not have been accommodated at all. I am sympathetic to her case but don't see how she can win this one.

Kim Davis is irrelevant. She doesn't have a leg to stand on as a public official: her oath of office even states that she will remain impartial to religion. Her case differs from that of an employee of a privately held company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies