Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 01:06 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
We are way past the point that employers call the shots. There was a case of a Muslim teacher that after just a month on the job asked for 6 weeks off to go to pilgrimage to Mecca. The SD didn’t approve her request. She sued and won. Where do you stand on this?
Do you have a link to that case?

Old 09-06-2015, 01:07 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Same here. I haven’t followed up but it is almost a given that the libs will come to her defense. I don’t know what it is about Islam that they feel compelled to defend it. I think it is the Bush derangement syndrome.
And yet... none have, at least so far in this thread. The only liberals posting here are saying she should either quite or be fired.

But don't let that fact change what you think you know.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
So when did we come to the point where someone gets to refuse to do the work for which they were hired and get compensated for it? What ever happened to the integrity and honesty on the part of the person that should go along with their application for a job that says they will fulfill the all duties of the job for which they are applying? Surely serving drinks is in the job description. I bet they even train you how to do it. If you know the job involves something in which you cannot be involved, don't apply. Don't apply and expect your co-workers to cover for you. That's dishonest.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:09 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Should we allow reasonable religious accommodations?

For example do you see the difference if the county clerk says I will not allow marriage licenses to be issued at all compared to say I will not issue them but other in my office can

Or if this flight attendant says no one in on this flight can serve or drink alcohol compared to I will not serve alcohol but other attendants can do that for me and I will pick up one of their duties for that accommodation.

Or should all religions be told to bad?
I think the point is a person should do the job they're being paid to do, not shirk their responsibilities off on someone else. If the job duties conflict with their religion/beliefs, they should graciously leave the job instead of whining for special treatment.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Same here. I haven’t followed up but it is almost a given that the libs will come to her defense. I don’t know what it is about Islam that they feel compelled to defend it. I think it is the Bush derangement syndrome.
Just out of curiosity, to which libs are you referring? So far I am not seeing any.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:12 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Over 1000 employees worked with her on the flights?

Give me a break.

This only became an issue when one co-worker filed a complaint against her. Did the co-worker try to resolve the issue before filing a complaint?

Old 09-06-2015, 01:21 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,952 times
Refuse to serve alcohol in flight and when fired complaining! Why do these religious nuts take jobs they can't handle. She should certainly be fired and also make sure she signs a document where it says she's not going to take any job in future where this kind of situation arises and her "religious" feelings get hurt. Total time waste! And then that religious nut in KY. She should stay in jail as long as she either quits her position or believe she can do what she's supposed to do.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:25 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
I'm sonetimes think people pick Islam because it reserves them the right to be offended.

My other thoughts are why do they still I've in the west. It seems one would want to be clower to Mecca if they were a true believer.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:25 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
She on ExpressJet Many of there flights only have 1 FA, So there is no co/worker to cover for her.

So the airline need to setup a whole system so she is only on a flight with two or more FA's and to make sure non of the other FA also object to it.

I would have re-assigned her to be a Gate Agent (in "Dry" Alaska village) , so she would not encounter someone with alcohol in there carry on or checked bags.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Should we allow reasonable religious accommodations?

For example do you see the difference if the county clerk says I will not allow marriage licenses to be issued at all compared to say I will not issue them but other in my office can

Or if this flight attendant says no one in on this flight can serve or drink alcohol compared to I will not serve alcohol but other attendants can do that for me and I will pick up one of their duties for that accommodation.

Or should all religions be told to bad?
Quote:
This only became an issue when one co-worker filed a complaint against her. Did the co-worker try to resolve the issue before filing a complaint?
I would argue against this. This is not an issue between flight crew members to resolve. They have their jobs assigned to them. It's up to their supervisors to reassign jobs. The complaining crew member did the absolutely the right thing reporting this to the supervisor. If that co-worker didn't I bet someone else eventually would have since covering for a co-worker can be bad for the coverers as well as the coverees should the supervisors discover jobs aren't being done as they should.

I used this example in another thread.

I used to be a health insurance claims examiner. There was a co-worker who decided she would not pay for claims dealing with abortion. She denied them. This was against the terms of the insurance policy she administered so she was called on the carpet and told to pay them. She refused on religious grounds (She was Catholic) saying the other adjusters could pick up the slack and that we didn't get that many claims for abortion relation bills anyway.

My supervisor told her no one was going to do her job for her. She signed on like the rest of us to do all of her share. She still refuse and was fired.

So do you see the reason why it is unfair to start making accommodations for others at the workplace? To put an extra load on co-workers no matter how small? It simply is wrong to ask others to do the work you promised to do for personal reasons you have chosen for yourself.

A flight crew is small and limited. It can change from flight to flight so not all who worked with her could have possibly been in agreement to cover for her with each flight. They are rushed. They each have their jobs. They can't serve the passengers properly when someone shirks their duties. I do not blame the one co-worker for complaining. It's the principle and it's the work. Why should one person be exempt from her share of the work on any grounds other than someone feeling ill?

This is teamwork not me-work.

There is no such thing as "reasonable religious accommodations." This is an unfair request of fellow employees. Furthermore, where does one draw the line in "reasonable religious accommodations?" It could never end considering the many taboos that go along with all religions. Pretty soon you would have no one but atheists on your flight crew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies