Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 10:41 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Persecuted? I don't know but we are not free to exercise our religion freely as we would choose to do so. I worked on a public government job and when I went to work each day I had to leave my religion at home, which is not natural. I found this difficult many times so much that I went to my pastor and asked his advice as to whether or not I should quit the job.

He basically asked me how it would be in America if all Christian people left government jobs. Then he explained to me how I could be a Christian at work without saying anything. God is love and love is something that can be shown. We can be an example of Christian values without saying anything by being kind to others, giving a full days work for a days pay, etc.
You feel that you should be able to exercise your religion at work even if it violates the religious freedom of other religions? That's why our founders separated state and religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 10:45 AM

In the early 60s when I was in a public high school, we were forced to go to a Christmas assembly and sing Christmas carols. A friend of mine who was Jewish could either participate or miss a day of school. I had hoped we had moved beyond this. Guess I was wrong. Freedom of religion is ok I guess, if you are Christian.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:50 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Christians try to impose their beliefs on everyone else and then when they don't get their way, boo hoo, they are persecuted.
Your point is so true. For instance, Oklahoma Attorney General is still fighting the Oklahoma Supreme Court ruling requiring the Ten Commandments monument be removed from the state capitol grounds. Pruitt argues that the June 30 ruling is hostile to religion and therefore violates the First Amendment’s Establishment Clause of the U.S. Constitution. He thinks the ruling prohibits manifestations of faith from the public square and creates hostility toward religion. Of course, Pruitt would become hostile, if the Satanists demanded their monument be erected on state capitol property.

Oklahoma AG Scott Pruitt continues fight over Ten Commandments - Tulsa World: Capitol Report

Old 09-07-2015, 10:55 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
A lady is in jail because she refuses to submit ti the Democrats partys hatred of Christians and you ask if Christians are being persecuted?
The clerk in Kentucky had four choices:

Obey the law and issue marriage licenses.

Allow her subordinates to issue marriage licenses.

Resign from her job.

Refuse to do all of the above and go to jail.

She has chosen option number four. She walked herself into that cell, closed the door and handed the keys to the guard in a childish tantrum because she wasn't allowed to flaunt the law in favor of her own beliefs.

She is free to leave jail at any point that she chooses by merely agreeing to obey the law or step aside for someone who will. But how can she pretend to be a martyr if she does that?

That's not persecution, that's grandstanding.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:58 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
So yes, they're being forced.
To not discriminate?

And you have a problem with that?

Do you think we should return to blacks only and whites only lunch counters too?

Old 09-07-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Your point is so true. For instance, Oklahoma Attorney General is still fighting the Oklahoma Supreme Court ruling requiring the Ten Commandments monument be removed from the state capitol grounds. Pruitt argues that the June 30 ruling is hostile to religion and therefore violates the First Amendment’s Establishment Clause of the U.S. Constitution. He thinks the ruling prohibits manifestations of faith from the public square and creates hostility toward religion. Of course, Pruitt would become hostile, if the Satanists demanded their monument be erected on state capitol property.

Oklahoma AG Scott Pruitt continues fight over Ten Commandments - Tulsa World: Capitol Report
Yep, she is a real Christian. There is a man on death row in Oklahoma slated to be executed soon. Even though there is evidence that he didn't do the crime, she refuses to help him and his appeals are exhausted.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:19 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
No, the Christians here are losing the control they once enjoyed and they aren't happy about it. So...they attempt to turn the situation around and claim victimization in the vain hopes that it will garner sympathy for their cause. It doesn't work. Not really sure why they keep trying as people see right through it.
Yes, this is correct.

When I was growing up in the 1950s and early 1960s, my small town in western NYS (Palmyra, population about 3,000+ in the village) was all White. I only remember 1 family that was non-Christian -- my dentist and his family, who were Jewish and had to go to Rochester to attend temple. Most people were Christians who attended the 4 churches on the corner -- Methodist, Presbyterian, Baptist, and Episcopal. Us Catholics were seen as "different", but not persecuted; there were 4 masses every Sunday, and one on the Saturday night before. Other churches (such as the Assembly Of God) were looked on as being really weird, but gain, not persecuted. The few Mormons (although Palmyra was where Joseph Smith founded the religion) didn't even build a church there until the mid-1960s, and again, were looked on as weird, but not persecuted). Note, that it was the members of the 4 (or 5) main churches that were looking down on every other Christian group.

Now, there are a few minorities in Palmyra (4%), but 66% of the people do not affiliate with a church. The Catholic Church is no longer a full-time church; instead of 5 Sunday masses there is 1, and for all other services, Catholics travel to another town.

And, Palmyra is not alone. A major trend in this country, in my opinion, is for people to not affiliate with any church, to say that they are independent thinking Christians with no church affiliations. In other words, they believe in God and Christ, but think of themselves. And this attitude is making church-affiliated Christians very afraid; they may not even realize they are afraid. They have lost their dominance in American culture; this is no longer the day of people like Billy Graham. People who are afraid often either get mean and strike out like a rattlesnake when they are cornered, or they cower. With most Christians, it is mostly the former. How can we get back our dominance? Oh, poor us, everyone is picking on us, and we're supposed to be the ones telling everyone else how to behave.

It's fear that's driving them. Just as it's fear driving some of the Whites in this country in a reassertion of racism.

What is this persecution that some Christians feel? They're not liked by some. That's persecution??? As one former devout Christian friend said to me about the situation, "There's all that sex in the movies," to which I replied, "Well don't watch those movies". "There's all that sex and violence in music." Well, don't listen to it. "You can shop at Wal-Mart on the sabbath." Well, don't do it. "There are people having abortions." You don't have to do it; leave that between those people who do and God; that's His job. "Gay people can now get married!" And before they could only have sex; no one is forcing you to go gay (unless you're a Catholic boy and hang around all too many priests).

Dear devout Christians. You're just no longer in the catbird seat. Others are simply utilizing their freedom of thought. You're not being persecuted. You wanna see persecution -- read what happened to Jesus and his followers. Now, that was persecution.

But, in both cases, the genie is out of the bottle.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Anti-discrimination laws are nothing but government repression, a flagrant violation of basic freedom of contract and association. ...
As opposed to human repression, a flagrant violation of human rights.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
The left as the authoritarian law and order party. Funny how the tune has changed now that you people have power. And of course, you act as though you'd ever apply this thinking to others. Your disingenuousness isn't fooling anyone. If this had been a kosher or halal bakery, the ecstatic national lynch mob would never have happened. In fact, if it'd been a couple of African American Baptists, it probably wouldn't have happened either. The homosexual agitators who kicked off the whole thing wouldn't even have made an issue of it.
Well, if "we" have power now, it's based on electoral power, meaning that you've lost your edge in the American electorate. And why? The heavy-handedness with which you previously conducted yourselves. Bullies don't prosper...for long.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
1. she is a democrat.
2. the judge that put her in jail is a catholic and is anti-SSM
jjrose -- shame on you...using logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies