Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 10:02 AM

997 posts, read 1,061,099 times

Advertisements

Perhaps she should learn to speak coherently... (her word salad begins at the 8 second mark)

"We believe? Wait, I thought fast food joints, hurh. Don’t you guys think that they’re like of the Devil or somethin’ I was. Liberals, you want to send those evil employees who would dare work at a fast food joint then ya just don’t believe in, thought you wanted to, I dunno, send them to Purgatory or somethin’ so they all go VEGAN and, uh, wages and picket lines I dunno they’re not often discussed in Purgatory, are they? I dunno why are you even worried about fast food wages because...."

Old 09-08-2015, 10:04 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
I'm not a fan of Palin by no means. However I think the speak American comments, was just that a comment. A comment to reference when your living in the US, then you speak the native language here. She also a moment later said English to reference her comment. Finding fault with so many comments a person makes, is nauseating in this country.. Everything is so politically correct in this country it is ridiculous. You literally have to walk on egg shells with people anymore.

The badgering she went thru with the, Seeing Russia from her House was ridiculous. She is just talking like we all do, making conversation and hoping you can please someone.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:36 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
No, unfortunately she made front page of cnn.com. She's jumping on the Trumpwagon. She's hoping for another shot at vice presidency. I daresay she and the Donald would get along swimmingly.
The "Dumb and Dumber" ticket?

Old 09-08-2015, 12:00 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times

Old 09-08-2015, 12:27 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
It's even funnier considering the U.S. doesn't have an official language. And I'm always amused by the number of people (at least two each season) I see on the Amazing Race that go to a country where they have official languages that don't include English and they complain that nobody can speak English!

Last edited by ischyros; 09-08-2015 at 12:41 PM..

Old 09-08-2015, 12:36 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Writing in American:
I'm not a fan of Palin by no means. However I think the speak American comments, was just that a comment. A comment to reference when your living in the US, then you speak the native language here. She also a moment later said English to reference her comment. Finding fault with so many comments a person makes, is nauseating in this country.. Everything is so politically correct in this country it is ridiculous. You literally have to walk on egg shells with people anymore.
Writing in English:
I'm not a fan of Palin by any means. However, I think her "Speak American" comment, was an admonishment to those who live in the U.S. to use English as their primary language. As for the constant fault finding, I find it nauseating. It is ridiculous how politically correct this country has become. You have to proverbially walk on eggshells when speaking with anyone.
Unfortunately American is not literally translatable into English. So, while I attempted to remain true to the authors construction, there were instances where that was not possible.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:02 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Writing in American:
Writing in English:
I'm not a fan of Palin by any means. However, I think her "Speak American" comment, was an admonishment to those who live in the U.S. to use English as their primary language. As for the constant fault finding, I find it nauseating. It is ridiculous how politically correct this country has become. You have to proverbially walk on eggshells when speaking with anyone.
Unfortunately American is not literally translatable into English. So, while I attempted to remain true to the authors construction, there were instances where that was not possible.
Speaking in Palin:

https://archive.org/details/PeanutsTeacherVoice

Old 09-08-2015, 01:13 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Alaska becomes the second state to officially recognize indigenous languages - April 2014

Old 09-08-2015, 01:42 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
Hmmmm....

I was just on a website that had me select a language, I had to decide between:

English (UK)
English (US)

...weird

lots of different spellings curb/kerb tire/tyre color/colour hood/bonnet (I think there is very slight different pronouciation btw hood and bonnet though

Old 09-08-2015, 01:43 PM

16,587 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
And that learning can take place over what period of time … ???

Or, wait … Maybe The Wall could be configured as an immense dormitory/classroom, such that no prospective immigrant would be allowed across the border until her/his entire family can pass proficiency culture/history tests -- in English … ???

I guess you do not understand what legal immigrants must do to become American citizens to make such a comment.

But let me guess, in your Utopia there would be no borders. So anyone should be able to illegally just come to our country, live off it's resources/generosity, all the while sending money back to their home country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies