Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 09:18 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,553,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
I find the common British refusal to pronounce an "r" to be odd and annoying …

So, "sport" is pronounced "spoat" … and "hour" becomes "owa" …

I dunno ...

Its as annoying as the American tendency to pronounce T in the middle of a word as D. Butter becomes budder. Party becomes pardy. And no-one can tell if an American is saying utter or udder.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:39 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yes, Spanish is the biggest with dialects all over Latin and South America, the Caribbean and Spain. English is either second or third with how widespread French is.
No, English is, by far, the world's most spoken language.

Have you ever traveled outside the U.S.? English is indispensable. If you speak English you can travel practically anywhere and communicate. It's the second language in practically every country on earth these days. Spanish is basically useless outside of Latin America and Spain.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:52 AM

8,046 posts, read 7,416,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
She's still relevant?
Quote:
When you’re here, let’s speak American,'” Palin told CNN’s Jake Tapper in an interview that aired on "State of the Union” Sunday.
No, she's not relevant but outfits like CNN still need her to drive ratings via "the outrage machine".

She was quietly dropped by Fox quite a while ago. I watch Fox News most of the time and I can't remember when I last heard her mentioned, let alone interviewed in person there.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:14 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,040,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
No, she's not relevant but outfits like CNN still need her to drive ratings via "the outrage machine".

She was quietly dropped by Fox quite a while ago. I watch Fox News most of the time and I can't remember when I last heard her mentioned, let alone interviewed in person there.
Liberals love to trot her out in minstrel show fashion to amuse themselves, reassure themselves of their superiority and legitimize their contempt for non-elite/"flyover" white Americans.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:40 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
Liberals love to trot her out in minstrel show fashion to amuse themselves, reassure themselves of their superiority and legitimize their contempt for non-elite/"flyover" white Americans.
Oh puhleeze.... We don't need to legitimize anything or feel reassured. The daily antics of your GOP clown car presidential candidates is doing more for that than anything else imaginable...and as an FYI we liberals live in "non-elite flyover country" too.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:52 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,263,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, English is, by far, the world's most spoken language.

Have you ever traveled outside the U.S.? English is indispensable. If you speak English you can travel practically anywhere and communicate. It's the second language in practically every country on earth these days. Spanish is basically useless outside of Latin America and Spain.
Even if you count people that speak English as a second language, Chinese speakers far outnumber speakers of any other language. But as far as native tongue, English is third to Chinese and Spanish. Yes, English is second with Spanish third if you count those who speak it as a second language but even there Spanish is quickly gaining.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:02 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,040,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Oh puhleeze.... We don't need to legitimize anything or feel reassured. The daily antics of your GOP clown car presidential candidates is doing more for that than anything else imaginable...and as an FYI we liberals live in "non-elite flyover country" too.
Right, but you're not really one of them. You have the correct opinions. You listen to the correct commentary. You're not one of the rubes. You're part of the club. One of the Good and the Great.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:16 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,553,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Even if you count people that speak English as a second language, Chinese speakers far outnumber speakers of any other language. But as far as native tongue, English is third to Chinese and Spanish. Yes, English is second with Spanish third if you count those who speak it as a second language but even there Spanish is quickly gaining.

That's incorrect. Chinese comes in around 1.15 Billion, English including second language speakers (which is important of course - that's how it becomes a "world language") is at 1.38 Billion. Where are you getting your figures from?

Old 09-09-2015, 11:27 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Seeing white under every blanket. Paranoid much?
Some people want to find racism in every corner. It doesn't matter if it is really there in their minds it is.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:51 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
I just like to remind people that the Republicans tried to convince America that this woman was the very best candidate for VP that could be found. She's irrelevant as anything but a sample of the Republican Party's capacity for making decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.