Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 01:31 PM

613 posts, read 462,993 times

Advertisements

What she said was totally ignorant and insensitive, but I don't entirely disagree. It's so annoying when I ask someone a question and they say they can't speak English, and say it as if I said have already known that. I don't speak a word of Japanese, so it wouldn't be logical for me to move down there.

But I get why people move to the US, to find work and all that, which is fine. I just have a problem with how rude some people are when you try to ask them things and they can't answer because they don't speak English. It's like, sorry I can't read minds lol. And I would rather not judge ALL Hispanics as non English-speaking immigrants, because who does that?

Old 09-07-2015, 01:47 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,592,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
What she said was totally ignorant and insensitive, but I don't entirely disagree. It's so annoying when I ask someone a question and they say they can't speak English, and say it as if I said have already known that. I don't speak a word of Japanese, so it wouldn't be logical for me to move down there.

But I get why people move to the US, to find work and all that, which is fine. I just have a problem with how rude some people are when you try to ask them things and they can't answer because they don't speak English. It's like, sorry I can't read minds lol. And I would rather not judge ALL Hispanics as non English-speaking immigrants, because who does that?
Have you ever learned/studied another language … ???
How quickly did you become fluent … ???

Old 09-07-2015, 01:49 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:

It's not rude to be monolingual. Put yourself in the place of people you describe. They may just be frightened.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:53 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
You really have to put some context other than knee jerk thinking into this stuff.

She is not thinking of all her fellow countrymen when she panders to the more rigid group for votes.

There are many, many places in the U.S. where Americans have proudly been speaking to each other using more than English since the very creation of the country. She not only insults them all but cheapens the concept of being American down to the mere issue of language.

America, the U.S. of A. is about much more than conforming to one person's, or even the majority's, set of expectations.

Last edited by BruSan; 09-07-2015 at 02:41 PM..

Old 09-07-2015, 01:57 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
If speaking American means speaking like Palin- jumbled, nonsensical, and throwing in big words with no proper connection to what you are saying, then no thanks!

I prefer to speak English properly.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:

As an ESL teacher and a person who has learned other languages and used them in other countries, it is VERY intimidating to speak a new language. You cannot possibly understand how intimidating it is unless you learn a language yourself and use it abroad.

I have worked with refugees and many times they tell me they can't speak English- i tell them to try and their English is pretty good. They are probably scared to speak it because of how they get treated by people.

How about being more compassionate and understanding? A little compassion goes a long way.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Well, hey--Trump wants to appoint her to his 'cabinet' (and we can assume he doesn't mean of the kitchen variety). So he'll be telling people not to speak 'Mexican' while she's telling people to speak 'American.'

That would be some intelligent administration. Maybe he'll create a new position--Secretary of Ignorance.
Good one. Scary to think that these 2 clowns could actually run this country.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:18 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I doubt it. I think if any women gets that slot this time around, it'll be Carly Fiorino, who is polling very well. Palin follows the money, and speaking engagements pay a lot more than a vice president's salary. I don't think anyone would take a chance with her this time due to all the gaffes during her last go round. McCain hated her by the end.
He would not have gotten the votes he did without her. Face it, the guy is an old POS with half a mind - he doesn't know if he is rep or dem - and was dead in he water without her. Gaffes? Sure, she was a small time minnow brought into the big leagues before her time. So was Obama. Watch some YT videos of Pelosi, Feinstein or other female bobbleheads before you rush to pass judgement on Palin.

She is one thing no other woman is - America's cheerleader.

It must work because the negative comments about her expose those who are anti-American.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:28 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
I mention this in all sincerity, does she have an alcohol or drug abuse problem? Suffering from a TIA (aka 'micro stroke')? The few times I've seen her speak lately, there's something in the wiring that's not quite right.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be funny or disparaging.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:29 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
You just made her relevant by posting her story.
She is relevant. Not for what she says, but as a reminder of the Republicans' decision-making capabilities when it comes to candidate selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies