Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 01:07 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, you so-called "progressives" have the wrong view. Do you not know that it was Woodrow Wilson who coined the term "living constitution?" The Founders intended it to be a document for all time, but they did make provision for amending it. They never used the term "living" in regards to the Constitution.

We interpret the Constitution by studying other documents, such as the Federalist Papers, and other writings of the period, so that we understand (to the best of our ability) the mind of the writers.

I'm surprised that you wouldn't know this, since you claim to be a retired school principal.
This is another example of your either/or mentality. Yes, I'm a Democrat. Doesn't mean that I agree with everything every Democrat ever said or did. And Woodrow Wilson's belief that God spoke through him was a crock.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:10 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
You realize, don't you, that the Northwest Ordinance is considered to be one of our "founding documents?" And it does help us to understand the minds of those who were significant players in the founding of our great nation, which you "progs" are determined to destroy.
I'm also well aware of its flawed character. It helped perpetuate slavery.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:18 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
You anti-Christs just love to use that phrase, "How very Christian of you" to mock and ridicule believers. But you never read the Bible, so you wouldn't know about some of the things Christ said to the Pharisees. He didn't mince words. Christ was very intolerant.
I've read the bible in various versions, in two languages. You?
I've taken numerous comparative religion classes at university. You?
I've read an 8 volume, over 1000 pages per volume bible commentary. You?

Yeah, after studying the fantasies and myths presented, it is clear that your hobby of idolizing and talking to imaginary friends would in most other cases be prima facia evidence of a psychiatric assessment being required.

But since it's religion, carry on.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:22 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Well, you know, one only needs to study American history. Nearly all the Colonists (like maybe 99%, as a guess) were Christians. Calvinist Christians. That's a fact. It isn't speculation.

John Winthrop, a Puritan, founded the Massachusetts Bay Colony. He envisioned "a City Upon a Hill" That is a phrase that comes from the Bible, and it was in the context of Christianity that Winthrop used the phrase.

In his book, "An American Dream," John Whitehead notes that the concept of "individualism" was born out of the Reformation. Martin Luther believed in the "Priesthood of believers" (taken from the Bible), which broke the individual free from the need of an earthly mediator. From this, he says, the "individual" was born. Prior to that time, "individualism" as a concept had been unknown. The term "rugged individualism" has been used to describe what was known as "the American Dream."

He notes further that this break from the "collective" social orders of the medieval era was a product of Reformed Theology (John Calvin, Martin Luther). This was "transported" to America, and became part of "The American Dream."

It is thus impossible to separate the ideas of the Reformation from the founding of the American Colonies, and the eventual founding of the United States of America. Our Founders were steeped in Reformed Theology, and it is therefore not possible that they intended the the First Amendment to be interpreted as "separationists" interpret it today.
Treaty of Tripoli, dated 1796, you know, just after the USA was established, says, specifically, and the Senate approved it:

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen (Muslims); and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan (Mohammedan) nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

But, keep living your fantasies.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:27 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
I don't have a problem with the decals being on the cars, as long as the officers themselves are ok with it.
I don't see the statement as an endorsement of any religion or church. It doesn't attempt to define or limit God.

But if I lived there, I'd have a BIG problem with my taxes being used to purchase the decals.

Quote:
These are atheists, who want to force their atheism on the rest of us. They are free to practice their 'religion,' but they are not free to force it on me or anyone else.
I'm a Christian who cherishes the American principle of separation of politics and religion. You are free to practice your version of 'Christianity' but you are not free to force it on me or anyone else.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 09-10-2015 at 01:47 PM..

Old 09-10-2015, 01:48 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
yeah, and my kids term paper has about as much of effect as this "founding" document on legal decisions. They are both superceded by the 1st amendment nonsenseguy

"In God we trust" your establishing/giving preference to a specific religion as part of the public good

Though so far we have kept it on the dollar. . .so whatever
You know, the phrase "in god we trust" doesn't specify which god. Seeing the phrase on money has always made me wonder whether the god in question was mammon.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:55 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Here's the problem. You have your faith, and that's fine. But you purport to KNOW every aspect of that FAITH is FACT. Faith and fact are 2 entirely different things, and you don't know the difference.

If Christ were here today, I doubt very much that he would look at 2 people and say anything along the lines of, "Well, you belong to the ________ church, so you are bad. And you belong to the _________ church so you are good." I'm rather sure he would look at the actual character of each individual and judge them based on that character, not based on which building they walk into on Sunday morning.
Actually, Christ will judge us by what we believe about who He is, not what we have done (works), or whether we are people of good character.
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith — and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God — not by works, so that no one can boast." Eph 2:8,9

And this:

"Consider Abraham: 'He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.' Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham. The scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: 'All nations will be blessed through you.' So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: 'Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because 'the righteous will live by faith.'" Galatians 3:6-11

And skipping down to verse 13: "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us."
Christ's sacrifice, ONCE for all, was complete and final. "It is finished." he said before he gave up his life. The Curtain was torn, thus ending the priesthood forever, and by this we gained free access to God through Christ.

The Bible gives us the facts. We only need the faith to believe. That is the difficulty for most people.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:01 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
The Bible gives us the facts. We only need the faith to believe. That is the difficulty for most people.
You don't need faith if you have facts, so I don't have much faith in non-existing facts.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:02 PM

Bam!

Old 09-10-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What debate?

You state unconditionally that it's false.

Prove it.
That's easy, Burdell. The way you prove it is to compare what they believe (and have stated in their dogma) with what scripture says. It's "No contest."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies