Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 04:12 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Lol @ covering her arms, what's next? Burka?

But I don't think people in show business serve as role models. Those people turn their hobbies into their jobs and earn way too much money for it. That is not something to emulate. I would not want my kids to try and become like Beyonce.
Not to mention that I find her voice irritating
It involves much more than turning your hobby into a job.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:28 PM

1,809 posts, read 5,422,154 times
It's not just about what Beyonce wears and does on stage. It's a lot more than that

Of what she says on records on her songs and what she does in videos.

Beyonce was good back then but not she made herself not good.

By the way, does Partition, Naughty Girl tong a bell? Which both of those songs were top radio played songs off her albums.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
What is happening right now across the whole music industry is that nobody buys records anymore. Sex sells! It isn't just Beyonce it is everybody.
In that case, drugs sells and that is dangerous too.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Beyonce doesn't usually dress like that. And so what if she does? Look at that pict again. Her entire body is covered but she has nipple outlines (oh the horror! )

Compared to *most* musical artists, she is quite tame with very strong PRO-SELF RESPECT lyrics. She has 10xs more self-respect than Rhianna who went back to her physically abusive boyfriend. I can't imagine that Beyonce would have ever put herself back in such a situation. Too much self respect.

THAT is what a role model is!

Calm down and control yourselves. We all have nipples. She's on stage.
Beyonce is better than rihanna, but listen to songs from Beyonce that does talk about explicit sex and others.

And as for "rihannas abusive boyfriend'', as I recall, rihanna was the that started that crap with Chris Brown in the first place. Rihanna got off easy because SHE'S A FEMALE and along with that A CELEBRITY.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:28 PM

613 posts, read 463,555 times
Not this again @_@ No matter what Rihanna did, Chris should not have had put his hands on her. Period.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:28 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,871,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
A realistic analysis of average earned money by an NHL player through a 5 year career:

So the average guy should have a total of $13.2 million at the end of his playing days. That’s more than enough to live happily ever after.In truth, it isn’t. Taxes take about half (if you take no evasive tax action), agent and management fees take 25 percent, and the NHL snatches another 20 percent to put in escrow, which the owners balance out at the end of the season. Sometimes, they use the players’ cash to help small-market teams. Sometimes we’d get a refund. But for The New Avery Rule purposes, consider it gone. So really, that $13.2 million becomes $660,000 — which is still a lot of money, but you have to make that last for the next 50 or 60 years because if you have a five-and-a-half year NHL career, you’ve retired at age 25 or 26.”

Off of businessjournalism.org

There are several other sources for other pro sports that reveal the same thing. Most pro athletes reach pro-status with very little education, and as such, blow through money without realizing how much (or little) they really have, hence, going bankrupt by the time they retire.
So their agent makes more money than the player? That sounds pretty outrageous. I think I'd start my own mgmt. co if were a player - certainly seems more lucrative.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I get where you are coming from, though I disagree that a woman who is purposely conventionally sexy can't be a role model (the problem to me is not that some women like the 'sexy" label or like sex, the problem is when all women become judged by it IMO). Someone like Beyonce can like sex and sexiness AND at the same time be a dozen other things. That's the whole point of feminism to me, that we can choose what we want to be, whatever it is. She's also a hard worker at the top of her field who runs her own career after firing her dad, and she stands by the strong women in her life, and she makes it very clear all those things are part of her as well.

That said, Michelle Obama was not trying to give an exhaustive list of role models here. All she did was wish the girl a happy birthday. What she said was the equivalent of "Happy Birthday, you rock!". If she was holding a Role Model Convention and Beyonce was the only honored guest then this whole "controversy" would make way more sense to me. But since she is not saying Beyonce is the only role model in the world I don't really see the issue.
I think we pretty much see it the same way. Regarding role models, I have no issue with a woman being sexy and a role mode as long as sexy is secondary and the women brings more to the table than being an object. But trashy dressing or acting, I do have issue with. As the mother of daughters, I raised, am raising them to use their intelligence, education, and skills to achieve their goals. And not rely on their looks (which are fleeting) or sex appeal which, in the end, is detrimental to one's self esteem when its gone. Women who identify too much with their physical appearance struggle when they lose their appeal and have to rely on their abilities. I've seen this happen.

As for Beyoncé, I respect her hard work, talent, and achievement. I happen to think she is selling herself short by selling herself as a sex object to stay competitive and relevant, when she could reply on her singing and be as successful IMO. She can be trashy at times as illustrated by the outfit that is on this thread that is made to look like boobs are showing. How any woman can think this looks good tells me we are going in the wrong direction.

As for Mrs. Obama, I didn't hear her call her a role model. I am going on what the OP stated. I don't think anyone can assume that she meant she was the ONLY role model. But those of us who disagree, feel that with the power she has, and the ability to share her comments with our youth, she could find better role models. Young women are underrepresented in the science/math/tech/engineering fields. A simple comment about this to our youth from Mrs. O, could have a huge impact.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Why are entertainers and athletes considered the best place to choose a role model? Exposure it seems is the reasoning, for which I believe is wrong. Sure, many entertainers and athletes do things behind the scenes for their community or charitable organizations (of their own or others), but it never seems to be the core message sent to children. Instead it's something like - "look at her, a powerful woman". So $$ success is the basis for a role model? Humans are strange.
Totally agree!

Old 09-10-2015, 08:19 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yep you would have no problem with your daughter walking around looking like that
If my daughter was talented at dancing and singing? No. It's part of a stage persona. OK?

Old 09-10-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
The only reason it's a big deal is because the right wing is running out of things to accuse the Obamas of. Disgusting.
This is a silly comment! You made an assumption without basis.

I suppose you are making this comment based on others you've read in this thread, and not as a result of my post. However, for the record, I am not right/left wing, and I am not bashing the prez. One can disagree with someone or their action and still respect them. I am so tired of seeing the left bash the right and the right bash the left. It's juvenile and provincial. I am not American, you are all Americans....why do you always attack each other without attempting to learn about the person, their views, or why they think as they do. I'll bet you all have more in common than not. In European countries, its citizens enjoy a good debate - usually in the pub. One is considered to have run out counterpoints, arguments, or ability if one resorts to attacking their debating partner and has nothing tangible to discuss.

Let's discuss the point of the thread and stop attacking folks - then we can all learn from each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies