Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,055 times

Advertisements

I find it funny that someone from Levittown, NY is complaining about the rich people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 10:04 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I find it funny that someone from Levittown, NY is complaining about the rich people.

Are you from NY.. because let me tell you something.. Levittown was supposed to be 'affordable" housing when it was originally built.. for the middle class.

BUT.. the middle class on LI is slowly dissappearing. I may make more than the U.S average or what is considered "middle class" BUT here onLI I am struggling Middle Class.. and if i moved OUTSIDE of LI, I would be considered Middle Class.

Our cost of living on LI is insane!! I'm not evenmaking enough money to coverm y living expenses.. and i live in a small house on a cement slab that has an EIK, LR 4 BR's and 2 bathrooms.. LR and Ktichen kind of flow and are one big room .. actually my square footage is probably like 1100.. AND i pay over $6000K a year in property taxes.. this house cost me $400K asa FIXER UPPER. I DO NOT consider myself WEALTHY.. I consider myself middle class and my income is around the $70K mark.

I plaon on leaving LI when I can.. my salary may be knocked down but sowould my cost of living.. and I'd still be considered middle class.

Now.. had you said i lived in lets say Roslyn.. I could see your argument!! Or Old Brookville or old westbury or Sands Point.!

Old 01-29-2008, 10:07 AM

223 posts, read 604,177 times
I love how all everyone does around here is ***** about taxes...yet they want all of this government intervention into their lives...
Where do you people think the money comes from for the borders to be secured, for the terror police, for your roads, your infrastructure, etc.. etc..?

You want all of this money for yourselves, and then as soon as the roads atart to deteriorate then you start whining. Grow up.

I am fine with paying higher taxes as long as the money is spent responsibly on programs that benefit everyone; unfortunately our system allows for too much corruption...and sadly, I see no end in sight from either side. Obama talks a good game, but how much is he really going to be able to do about the lobbyists? Do people really believe that the greedy pigs that run Washington now are just going to let some newbie walk in and take away their lives of excess? Fat chance.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:

I must also add that i do not have savings, 401K or any of that.. because I am a self employed individual Im' forced to pay DOUBLE taxes on SS (which I will never see in my lifetime ) and purchase my own healthcare at astronomical costs.. thereby taking up ALL of what imake leaving no room for me to invest or save. Should I go out and get a full time job and work for some other wealthy individual I'd make LESS money than I would now.. making it impossible for me to pay the bils I already have trouble paying making more!!

Old 01-29-2008, 10:14 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,656 times
Thats like saying the Titanics trend was going down after she was halfway under water

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
True. But the trend in recent years has been going up significantly. Just a fact.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:27 AM

478 posts, read 959,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
State of the Union as seen by an ordinary citizen (http://www.citizensforaconstitutionalrepublic.com/lillpop1-22A-08.html - broken link)

At this time of year, the president normally issues his State of the Union address to the nation and the Congress. After the president has spoken, the Democrats usually respond, in both English and Spanish.

All of the speeches are usually loaded with outrageous hyperbole and exaggerations, if not downright lies. The real problems facing the nation will be grossly underestimated or ignored. Achievements will be vastly overstated and misrepresented.

.For a change, our politicians need to hear the State of the Union from the perspective of an ordinary American citizen.

This citizen proposes the following State of the Union message:
Mr. President, members of Congress:

The state of this union is: In grave peril and in danger of collapse!

Due to inappropriate actions and or inaction on the part of those entrusted with managing this great nation--that would be YOU, ladies and gentlemen-- the United States of America is on the brink of declining into a third-world cesspool.

It is imperative that our government recognize the fact that the people are FED UP with the attempt to undermine American sovereignty, homeland security, and culture.

In short, the people are:

FED UP with plans to merge the United States into a North American alliance with Canada and Mexico. Such a plan would destroy American sovereignty and is totally unacceptable.

FED UP with the refusal of the federal government to secure our borders at time of war.

FED UP when Mexicans illegally cross our borders and assault and or kill Americans, yet our government takes no action, and refuses to even protest.

FED UP when Americans defending the U.S. from drug smuggling illegal aliens are sent to federal prison, while invading criminals are to be forgiven via amnesty for violating our borders and laws.

FED UP with the fact that upwards of 38 million illegal aliens are currently in America, and cost taxpayers hundreds of billions of dollars every year.

FED UP with a president who orders thousands of young Americans into harm's way thousands of miles from home, but who refuses to secure America.

FED UP with politicians who refuse to enforce immigration laws and who claim it is "impossible" to deport criminals here illegally.

FED UP with illegal aliens who can not and/or will not speak English.

FED UP with taxpayer dollars being wasted to print documents in foreign languages.

FED UP with illegal aliens who dump their medical bills on the backs of U.S. taxpayers, but who send $30-40 billion a year back to Mexico each year.

FED UP with the fact that providing free medical services to illegal aliens drives hospitals out of business, making those facilities unavailable to American citizens for whom the medical centers were intended.

FED UP with our schools being invaded by non-English speaking children who impede the learning process of students who genuinely belong here.

FED UP with the fact that federal, state, and local penal systems are overrun by illegal aliens, again costing taxpayers billions each year. v with the fact that, on average, illegal aliens kill 12 Americans every day.

FED UP with the fact that the overwhelming majority of felony crimes being investigated in Los Angeles have been committed by illegals from Mexico.

FED UP with politicians who refuse to round up and deport millions of illegal aliens who are destroying American culture and language.

FED UP with politicians who pamper illegal aliens with driver's licenses and free public services, which encourage even more invaders to come to America.

FED UP with the attempted Mexicanization of America. Mexico is a third- world slum, and we are FED UP with those who want America to be like Mexico!

Finally, Mr. President and members of the U.S. Congress, people are FED UP with those who consistently work on behalf of illegal aliens and the state of Mexico, and against the interests of the American people!

Please do not underestimate the dissatisfaction and rage swelling in the hearts of patriotic Americans on this vital issue.

The state of this union is untenable and must not continue.
We DEMAND our great country back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Get over it.................

Carrie
Carrie's message is to get over it.

All this talk is nothing but liberal gibberish. Fox News told her America is in great shape.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post
I love how all everyone does around here is ***** about taxes...yet they want all of this government intervention into their lives...
Where do you people think the money comes from for the borders to be secured, for the terror police, for your roads, your infrastructure, etc.. etc..?

You want all of this money for yourselves, and then as soon as the roads atart to deteriorate then you start whining. Grow up.

I am fine with paying higher taxes as long as the money is spent responsibly on programs that benefit everyone; unfortunately our system allows for too much corruption...and sadly, I see no end in sight from either side. Obama talks a good game, but how much is he really going to be able to do about the lobbyists? Do people really believe that the greedy pigs that run Washington now are just going to let some newbie walk in and take away their lives of excess? Fat chance.
I don't neccesarily object to taxes.. I object to the way the government uses our tax money.. definatley. AND I object to the tax burden being shifted to the middle class while the rich get "tax breaks" that they want to make permanent.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:51 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post

Okay, let's see if I can explain this. IF we have to have government, and said government HAS to take money from us in the form of taxes, shouldn't they do something WORTHWHILE with the money, or should they expand America's empire instead?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Are you from NY.. because let me tell you something.. Levittown was supposed to be 'affordable" housing when it was originally built.. for the middle class.

BUT.. the middle class on LI is slowly dissappearing. I may make more than the U.S average or what is considered "middle class" BUT here onLI I am struggling Middle Class.. and if i moved OUTSIDE of LI, I would be considered Middle Class.

Our cost of living on LI is insane!! I'm not evenmaking enough money to coverm y living expenses.. and i live in a small house on a cement slab that has an EIK, LR 4 BR's and 2 bathrooms.. LR and Ktichen kind of flow and are one big room .. actually my square footage is probably like 1100.. AND i pay over $6000K a year in property taxes.. this house cost me $400K asa FIXER UPPER. I DO NOT consider myself WEALTHY.. I consider myself middle class and my income is around the $70K mark.

I plaon on leaving LI when I can.. my salary may be knocked down but sowould my cost of living.. and I'd still be considered middle class.

Now.. had you said i lived in lets say Roslyn.. I could see your argument!! Or Old Brookville or old westbury or Sands Point.!
I am originally from New Jersey and moved down to Charlotte when I took a new job. Where I was from in New Jersey, we had a mass intake of New Yorkers in the 80's so I know full well about increased costs of living in New York/New Jersey. I find it funny that you are NOW blaming Bush and/or the Republicans. Your fellow New Yorkers are predominant Democrats. It's the Dems that destroyed New Jersey and made it the laughingstock that it is now. People moving from one area to another due to economic reasons has happened all throughout history.

While I'm not saying Bush has helped things, the middle class has been disappearing long before he was in office.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I am originally from New Jersey and moved down to Charlotte when I took a new job. Where I was from in New Jersey, we had a mass intake of New Yorkers in the 80's so I know full well about increased costs of living in New York/New Jersey. I find it funny that you are NOW blaming Bush and/or the Republicans. Your fellow New Yorkers are predominant Democrats. It's the Dems that destroyed New Jersey and made it the laughingstock that it is now. People moving from one area to another due to economic reasons has happened all throughout history.

While I'm not saying Bush has helped things, the middle class has been disappearing long before he was in office.
I didn't say it was Bush's fault. .. and to be honest, I dont know what caused it on LI. Since I am nte next generation starting a family here I can only pay attention to what is going on NOW.. as i am an adult now and have stake in the matter.

I only hear the republicans wanting to keep the tax cuts Bush initiated for the rich, when they didn't do what thy were intended to do and it shifts the burden to the middle clasee.

LI only came into the equation because someone seems to think that because I live in Levittown I'm weatlhy.. couldn't be further from the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies