Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 01:40 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Worked for me when 3 guys in their early 20s jumped out of a car one day as I was walking, and were eager to attack me cause I did not cross the street in front of their car fast enough for their taste as they drove by. As they approached me I reached into my knapsack for my gun, but did not pull it all the way out. The 3 dopes got that universal signal right, as they backed up, got into their car....and screwed. I like to think I'm a good street fighter, from back in the day, but a 3 on 1 fight was most likely not going to end well for me.

That simple gesture saved me from a nasty situation. And this happened in a wealthy town outside of greater Boston....where you would least expect it.....if you were not street-smart. The OP has no clue what he's talking about. None. As an addendum....you should have seen the looks on their faces as they realized I was about to cap them if I had to. Comedy gold
there have been instances were just the thought that a possible victim was armed prevented a crime. for instance there was a story that just having a guns and ammo magazine on the seat of a persons truck coerced a ne'er do well to leave well enough alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 01:56 AM

6,572 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there have been instances were just the thought that a possible victim was armed prevented a crime. for instance there was a story that just having a guns and ammo magazine on the seat of a persons truck coerced a ne'er do well to leave well enough alone.
And that's why the OP's post is so much nonsense.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:05 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

You're right, that is laughable. A gun in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it may as well be holding a pillow. A gun will not protect me, I will protect myself with the aid of a gun....

<End Thread/>
that I do agree with.... just getting a gun and having it around and not knowing how to use it can be quite dangerous to you or loved ones than it is to someone else. If someone does decide to get a gun for safety then by all means take classes and learn to operate one safely.

Where I live guns are used for hunting. I dont hunt personally but know many who do. I dont own any gun and done feel a need too or have a desire too....but no many who do and have no problem with that.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:21 AM

24,406 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Truth is, for most you under attack, you'll be death before you knew what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s

If you're not a trained professional and you managed to deter a gunman with a gun, it is merely blink luck.
It possibly saved my family lives... my parents live in their business and at the time I was there too. My dog started barking late at night and we saw a guy with a knife and a crowbar breaking in through a side door. The business is about 15-20 minutes from town and that guy wasn't holding a knife to prep food. Luckily, we have a few guns and when we put the laser on him and yelled at him, he took off running.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:52 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When confronted by someone that has a weapon or is more physically capable the chances of defending yourself are near zero, any chance better than zero is a win.

Just ask Trayvon Martin about that...

Old 09-10-2015, 03:50 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times
Quote:
Truth is, for most you under attack, you'll be death before you knew what happened.

If you're not a trained professional and you managed to deter a gunman with a gun, it is merely blink luck.
I am actually in favor of stricter gun controls in the US, but that video is complete BS.
  • All the students immediately run away, when in reality many students would hide, or not sure what to do. That is why you should use regular students, and not trained policemen.
  • He already knows who has the gun, and target him accordingly.
  • The shooter is a trained professional, while in reality they are often amatures.
  • It makes no sense to try to shoot the target initially, just hide like everyone else. The shooter will soon lose focus, and then you can shoot him.

In many mass shootings the shooter just parades around while people hide for their lives. You could simply shoot him, while he is focused on tormenting some other students. However, I agree with them partly. It is useless to have a gun without knowing how to use it, so I believe people should get a gun license before they get a gun.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:23 AM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I believe people should get a gun license before they get a gun.
Though it sounds reasonable, once you grant government power to bestow / deny a privilege, you eliminate the right.

An endowed right needs no permission (license) to exercise.
If you need permission, it ceases to be a right, and becomes a privilege.

Eradicating liberty on the pretense of reducing crime is a poor excuse.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:41 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I am actually in favor of stricter gun controls in the US, but that video is complete BS.
  • All the students immediately run away, when in reality many students would hide, or not sure what to do. That is why you should use regular students, and not trained policemen.
  • He already knows who has the gun, and target him accordingly.
  • The shooter is a trained professional, while in reality they are often amatures.
  • It makes no sense to try to shoot the target initially, just hide like everyone else. The shooter will soon lose focus, and then you can shoot him.

In many mass shootings the shooter just parades around while people hide for their lives. You could simply shoot him, while he is focused on tormenting some other students. However, I agree with them partly. It is useless to have a gun without knowing how to use it, so I believe people should get a gun license before they get a gun.
The main break I need is just that he shoots someone else first.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:17 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
When I moved into my first apartment, my dad offered me any of his handguns I wanted. He proceeded to train me how to use it - to the point I felt very comfortable with it. I was in an apartment that didn't allow dogs, etc. So, having the gun was next best thing (if you know what I mean!). I never 'used' it. But I sure 'held it' frequently - and felt much better having the option, and the confidence.

I have gun(s) and hubby these days!! (For the Lefties - hubby has gun!! But I can take over at any time!)
My dad taught me also .....nice to have a dad who cares enough to at least offer gun knowledge to his daughter.

I have been shooting and holding guns since I was 7 yrs old. My dad was over conscious and drilled some things in my head that made me nervous with the gun at times. It took my husband to re-train me, to not be nervous, be confident!

Old 09-10-2015, 07:06 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Default The Laughable Myth that Being Unarmed Can Protect You

Quote:

Those who wish to remain unarmed victims are certainly free to do so. Others choose to not leave themselves at the mercy of armed criminals.

My video's better than yours. It's not staged.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies