Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:38 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Dumb, dumb, dumb , dumb, dumb. Ted Cruz has got to be one of the stupidest people ever elected under the GOP banner. He is poison for the party. Him and the Tea Party wingnuts need to be expelled.
And Cruz is purported to be "brilliant," but he's certainly never shown any proof of that as a senator.

Quote:
Seriously, why is my party (GOP) so fixated on being stupid? Since taking Congress last Janurary we have not done a single damn thing to help the average American ... instead it's endless attempts to overturn Obamacare and threats to shut down the Federal government over trivial social issues that nobody really cares about outside of the so called "Bible Belt". When will we actually govern?
When you kick the fundamentalists and Tea Party extremists to the curb. Until then, you will be beholden to their Bronze Age mentality in order to gain their votes. I understand the GOP is a coalition party and you need them to win, but they will continue to drag the Republican party down until they are shown the door. When the GOP has rid itself of these backward cretins the party will be able to begin to attract back many moderate Republicans who have fled the party due to the increasing and out-weighted control of these far rightwingers. As a progressive, I welcome that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 10:39 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Looks like a leech freak out on this thread.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:43 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Tea Party extremists to the curb.
Notice how liberals consider:

1. A balanced budget amendment
2. Simplifying the tax code
3. Reducing government bureaucracy
4. Cutting foreign aid
5. Reducing government spending

as EXTREME?

We can see who the extremists are, and it's not the TEA Party.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:38 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
If shutting things down mean not passing any legislation - I will take two helpings, please.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:40 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nobody missed getting their S.S. payments. S.S. is mandatory and not a part of the budget process.
It does appear, unless something is done by Congress, that those receiving SS disability payments will see a significant cut in their monthly benefits:

Social Security disability payments will be cut by a fifth if Congress doesn’t act - The Washington Post

I predict a lot of moaning here on CD, which appears to have more than its share of posters receiving disability benefits.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
It does appear, unless something is done by Congress, that those receiving SS disability payments will see a significant cut in their monthly benefits:

Social Security disability payments will be cut by a fifth if Congress doesn’t act - The Washington Post

I predict a lot of moaning here on CD, which appears to have more than its share of posters receiving disability benefits.
My guess is a crackdown on fraud along with an overhaul in things like what qualifies would fix that shortage really quick.

Fraud And Disability Equal A Multibillion Dollar Black Hole For Taxpayers

Old 09-10-2015, 11:47 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
For a smart man, Cruz is exceptionally thick-headed. Or insane. Or a very deep under-cover D operative.
I would describe him as "smarmy" (along with other adjectives).

Old 09-10-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Dumb, dumb, dumb , dumb, dumb. Ted Cruz has got to be one of the stupidest people ever elected under the GOP banner. He is poison for the party. Him and the Tea Party wingnuts need to be expelled.

Seriously, why is my party (GOP) so fixated on being stupid? Since taking Congress last Janurary we have not done a single damn thing to help the average American ... instead it's endless attempts to overturn Obamacare and threats to shut down the Federal government over trivial social issues that nobody really cares about outside of the so called "Bible Belt". When will we actually govern?
I'm now a Democrat (who started out as a Republican). But, when the Tea Party first came around I thought it was embarrassing how the GOP kissed up to them and surrendered to them. Either be a Republican or have the courage to go out and form your own independent party. At best, for the Republicans, the Tea Party is a very short-term gain. In the long run, it's disaster.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
And Cruz is purported to be "brilliant," but he's certainly never shown any proof of that as a senator.

When you kick the fundamentalists and Tea Party extremists to the curb. Until then, you will be beholden to their Bronze Age mentality in order to gain their votes. I understand the GOP is a coalition party and you need them to win, but they will continue to drag the Republican party down until they are shown the door. When the GOP has rid itself of these backward cretins the party will be able to begin to attract back many moderate Republicans who have fled the party due to the increasing and out-weighted control of these far rightwingers. As a progressive, I welcome that day.
When I was growing up, we had a neighbor who was truly brilliant. He and his family lived in a non-converted barn for at least 2 decades.

Brilliant people don't always have any common sense.

I began my voting life as a Republican, then became a Democrat. But until the Tea Party came along I would occasionally vote for Republicans. Now I never do. And that is true for so many people out there who are in the somewhat independent "middle".

Old 09-10-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I began my voting life as a Republican, then became a Democrat. But until the Tea Party came along I would occasionally vote for Republicans. Now I never do. And that is true for so many people out there who are in the somewhat independent "middle".
What Republican policies did you favor in order to vote for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies