Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 07:11 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Adjusted for take home pay, the US was ranked at 11th in 2013. Considering that some foreign currencies have lost value since then, we probably rank a bit higher now. Also, that ranking was based on the federal minimum wage. Considering that more than half of US states have a higher minimum than the federal, we're probably even higher. Quite frankly, I doubt that most other countries care what we pay for low skilled labor. Between the globalization of the economy and the massive dumbing down of american students, we have finally started to see the results that the left has been looking for - a growing uneducated underpaid mass of voters who will believe the media hype of rich people being evil.
There are ten countries ahead of us, hmm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 07:20 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I know it sounds like a trolling post, but, this is very painful to me. I wish we could do something to change the underclass.
I am not really sure there is an underclass but I'll bite some things that could be done are
1) Encourage hard work
2) Encourage learning marketable skills
3) Encourage education (sometimes related to number 2)
4) You could start a business and pay higher wages. Most people won't pay higher wages than what the job and market demand when it is their own money.

Quote:
And now our minimum wage is quite low compared to the rest of the developed countries in the world.
Not to doubt what you are saying but do you have a link about our minimum wage compared to the rest of the developed countries in the world.

Quote:
I wonder what they think of us? Do they look at us in the same manner we used to look at 3rd world countries?
Why do you care what they think of us. And I believe we are the prime destination of people trying to better themselves.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Why do you think we send them all that free food? From the goodness of our hearts? Nope, because our Government knows they are uneducated and will breed like rabbits and will be ripe for exploitation exactly like I said.
Some high opinion you have of your fellow man there.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:29 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
And now our minimum wage is quite low compared to the rest of the developed countries in the world.

I wonder what they think of us? Do they look at us in the same manner we used to look at 3rd world countries?

I know it sounds like a trolling post, but, this is very painful to me. I wish we could do something to change the underclass.
Probably the minimum wage did more damage to the "underclass" (as you call them) than anything. We lost gas station attendants (gone are the after school and summer jobs that young boys used to take), baggers in grocery stores (now the cashier does it all) and many other such jobs. There are few "entry level" jobs left, where one cans start at the bottom and work up the ladder in a company.

We are even eliminating the "fast food" jobs with this latest round of demands for $15/hr minimum wage. McDonald's is now installing self ordering systems. Walk up to the screen, key in your order and slide your card right there.

Innovation trumps union demands.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:30 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:

The cost of living in those countries is much higher than here. Put things into perspective instead of just looking at things from outer space.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:34 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post

Not to doubt what you are saying but do you have a link about our minimum wage compared to the rest of the developed countries in the world.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Some on the left want something for nothing (greed) and some on the right like to exploit others (greed).
Also some on the right want something for nothing (greed) and some on the left like to exploit others (greed).

Old 09-11-2015, 07:37 AM

Just stop already. This is beginner stuff. Go look up the cost of living in those countries.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:39 AM

3,041 posts, read 4,998,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You're talking about way back when the country had a soul. I can't even remember that far back. Our own corporations have been exploiting poor workers in other countries pretty much my entire life.

One of my daughters went on a mission trip to Bangladesh when she was in High School. They had the option to either stay in the hotel or stay with a family that works at the Nike factory in the city. She chose to stay with the family. The house was essentially a big cardboard box with some plywood. The father supported the family on something like $10 per week from Nike but there were no benefits at all.

He actually got hurt on the job, and to Nike's credit they didn't fire him for it. But they did make him pay his own medical bills and of course he didn't get paid when he was off work.

Disgusting what American Corporations do in the world. And our government (Democrat and Republican) enables them all the way.
What work would they being doing and how much would it pay if Nike weren't there?

Old 09-11-2015, 07:45 AM

Cost Of Living Comparison Between United States And Denmark

Cost Of Living Comparison Between United States And Germany

Cost Of Living Comparison Between United States And Australia

Cost Of Living Comparison Between France And United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies