Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 02:32 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I keep mine within reach, so if you step into my house without permission, it's body bag time.
If that happens, the DA will dig this up and you will be painted and a not so nice guy.

Always say you are stopping the threat.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:53 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
It will always be a myth that guns cannot protect you but its a myth that cops can protect you.
Quite. And, that one of the big things we hear, from the disarm America, crowd. A "civilized" society, counts on it police to protect them. Its trendy, amongst this crew, to count on others to protect them. Self reliance is anachronistic, to them. A "primitive" concept. Of course, they've never had to rely on themselves, or a skill set, beyond what pays the bills. They live snug, little , lives, in a shell of "security", like a swaddled babe. Fighting, if they cry loud enough, someone will always come, and attend to them.

That someone would actually take an issue , like personal security and home defense, onto oneself, is just beyond their grasp. They've never been in a situation, beyond a flat tire (maybe AAA after all) where they had to do or die. Literally or figuratively. Someone's ALWAYS within reach,in their world. That anyone else could be different, Mom is ALWAYS there, a phone call away, (and if you don't have a phone?) so what's my problem? I've been having to get out of jams since I could walk. Maybe I didn't want to call Mom (she'll tan my hide if she finds out) or I flat couldn't, even if I did want to.

When it comes to fighting , for me and mine, I am NOT going go run, and rely on the Mom in a Box, called a cell phone. Sheesh, have ANY of these "run away" types EVER been in a situation where they had to rely on themselves? Squealing, and hoping Teacher comes, is all they know. Personal and home security is far to ...serious..of an issue for these cowering rodentia..to understand. Being armed, ready and willing to use those arms, and the notion of "do or die" is so far over their heads, its not even funny.

As they cite higher intellect, greater mor and social conscience, and a "civilized" outlook, they would let predators eat their young. I can't wrap my head around THAT. And they would call me less evolved. Please....

Old 09-14-2015, 04:09 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Nope. Gun ownership makes one more likely to shoot oneself or friend/family If one is t a criminal. It also provides a means of protection. Gun ownership isn't without flaws in terms of safety to oneself and loved ones.
Nice deflection, but that's not the debate, is it. So let's get back to the question. "Can gun ownership protect you? "

Clearly the answer is "YES".

Old 09-14-2015, 04:11 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Quite. And, that one of the big things we hear, from the disarm America, crowd. A "civilized" society, counts on it police to protect them. Its trendy, amongst this crew, to count on others to protect them. Self reliance is anachronistic, to them. A "primitive" concept. Of course, they've never had to rely on themselves, or a skill set, beyond what pays the bills. They live snug, little , lives, in a shell of "security", like a swaddled babe. Fighting, if they cry loud enough, someone will always come, and attend to them.

That someone would actually take an issue , like personal security and home defense, onto oneself, is just beyond their grasp. They've never been in a situation, beyond a flat tire (maybe AAA after all) where they had to do or die. Literally or figuratively. Someone's ALWAYS within reach,in their world. That anyone else could be different, Mom is ALWAYS there, a phone call away, (and if you don't have a phone?) so what's my problem? I've been having to get out of jams since I could walk. Maybe I didn't want to call Mom (she'll tan my hide if she finds out) or I flat couldn't, even if I did want to.

When it comes to fighting , for me and mine, I am NOT going go run, and rely on the Mom in a Box, called a cell phone. Sheesh, have ANY of these "run away" types EVER been in a situation where they had to rely on themselves? Squealing, and hoping Teacher comes, is all they know. Personal and home security is far to ...serious..of an issue for these cowering rodentia..to understand. Being armed, ready and willing to use those arms, and the notion of "do or die" is so far over their heads, its not even funny.

As they cite higher intellect, greater mor and social conscience, and a "civilized" outlook, they would let predators eat their young. I can't wrap my head around THAT. And they would call me less evolved. Please....
Welcome to our world where progressives prevail.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:13 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And yet you failed to respond to the thread title. So I guess your answer is "Yes, it's a myth that guns cannot protect you".
your thread title is an absurd Strawman fallacy. Anyone who responds directly without pointing it out, is just supporting your idiotic strawman.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:20 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

so if you wanted to protect your family, you would . . not own a gun. Since the chance of you being attacked is far lower than one of your family doing something stupid.
My family must not be as stupid as your family....

Old 09-14-2015, 04:22 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Quite. And, that one of the big things we hear, from the disarm America, crowd. A "civilized" society, counts on it police to protect them. Its trendy, amongst this crew, to count on others to protect them.
yeah, trendy. Not really. The entire reason for society is assured protection. That is why the first villages and social constructs were created. Its not trendy. That is why we have police, soldiers, etc. To provide a protection service.

and, FYI, its very successful in every western country. Your chance of being killed in a homicide is insignificant, especially if your not a criminal/participating in a drug trade.

So trendy - no. Long term established social contract - YES.

Quote:
Self reliance is anachronistic, to them. A "primitive" concept. Of course, they've never had to rely on themselves, or a skill set, beyond what pays the bills. They live snug, little , lives, in a shell of "security", like a swaddled babe. Fighting, if they cry loud enough, someone will always come, and attend to them.
I rely on the social construct every day. I never have to call anyone. I mean the fact that homicides in the event of house robberies are insignificant (less than 200 a year in US). . and anything bad is that the social construct worked. I don't live in a world where there is any significant chance of me being assaulted at work, home, or the way home.

That doesn't mean anything, in itself. you too benefit from the same social construct. even with your guns, the chances are you will never have any of these situations happen to you. I mean you can move to Compton and setup a marijuana dispensary i suppose if you want to really get a chance to "test your metal" but chances are the only difference between you and I is that your a blowhard, and i'm realistic.

Quote:
That someone would actually take an issue , like personal security and home defense, onto oneself, is just beyond their grasp. They've never been in a situation, beyond a flat tire (maybe AAA after all) where they had to do or die.
my whole f'n point. If it never happens, and is unlikely to happen, why buy a gun? Especially if, rolling the dice, that gun is more likely to hurt your family than to help it. Where is that logic?

Why risk your family for something that has no real chance of happening. I'm sure it happens. everything happens. Yet i'm not walking down the street wearing a helmet to protect from tripping, and i'm sure as hell not avoiding skiing. . . so why would I worry about something far more unlikely then either of these things?

Quote:

When it comes to fighting , for me and mine, I am NOT going go run, and rely on the Mom in a Box, called a cell phone. Sheesh, have ANY of these "run away" types EVER been in a situation where they had to rely on themselves? Squealing, and hoping Teacher comes, is all they know.

Once again, just more blow hard nonsense. Look, you can buy a gun. If we were going to bet if that gun was going to be used on a family member or a criminal, the bookie would give odds to it being used on your family. If you want to risk your family safety on some illusion that someday someone will attack you - its your choice.

but don't fault others for not being so stupid.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:38 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
- its your choice.
If that were really the truth people like you wouldn't continually fight to take away my rights to make that choice. Let's be honest, if given the chance you would eliminate a person's ability or right to make that choice because it would make you feel better.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:43 PM

430 posts, read 639,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
if a gun can't protect you, why do cops, secret service, body guards and our military have guns??

the assertion that they don't provide protection when used the right way is beyond stupid.
A sheriff's deputy got murdered pumping gas. Your gun can protect you if you have time to prepare, but not if you're ambushed

Old 09-14-2015, 04:51 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Nope. Gun ownership makes one more likely to shoot oneself or friend/family If one is t a criminal. It also provides a means of protection. Gun ownership isn't without flaws in terms of safety to oneself and loved ones.
If I didn't have a pool and then installed one, you could say I am more likely to drown in my own pool. That would be because before I install one, there is zero chance of drowning in it.

If I don't own a gun there is zero chance I would shoot myself with my own gun. As soon as I buy one the chance that it could happen will go up. It has to.

The only other way I could shoot myself is if a criminal brought one into my home, I took it away from him, and then shot myself.

If you don't see how your argument is a fallacy, you need to take a course in logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies