Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 04:32 PM

865 posts, read 623,209 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, I can't find a link for the video, but this is his quote:

"I don't agree that you, when you become students at colleges, have to be coddled and protected from different points of view. You shouldn't silence them by saying 'you can't come because my...sens...I'm too sensitive to hear what you say'. That's not the way we learn either"

This is of course regarding the censorship by some colleges, not letting some speakers have their voice.

Bravo sir...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 04:38 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I agree too, I also agree when he said Blacks need to step up and do a better job as being role models for their children.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
these i can agree with, but actions speak louder than words. if he was really believing what he said, he would DO something to make sure his wishes are carried out. we shall see.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
I read this an my reaction is, crap, he is going to start attacking free speech on campuses.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:46 PM

865 posts, read 623,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I read this an my reaction is, crap, he is going to start attacking free speech on campuses.
I honestly hope he means what he said....he definitely doesn't have a good track record for that.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:00 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
I honestly hope he means what he said....he definitely doesn't have a good track record for that.
don't bet the farm on it..."if you like your doctor........"

Old 09-15-2015, 06:07 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,506 times
That fool has never meant what he's said save for the 'fundamentally changing America' comment that his moronic voters thought meant something good.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:07 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
don't bet the farm on it..."if you like your doctor........"
You do realize there is nothing in Obamacare that makes you lose your doctor, it is infact, the insurance companies and the doctors themselves who choose not to keep you on as a patient or changed your network.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:10 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Obama on liberal college students who want to be "coddled": "That’s not the way we learn"

"At a town hall here on college affordability on Monday afternoon, one student asked Obama to respond to Republican presidential contender Ben Carson's proposal to cut off funding to colleges that demonstrate political bias.

Unsurprisingly, Obama didn't like it much. "I have no idea what that means, and I suspect he doesn’t either," he said, then continued: "The idea that you’d have somebody in government making a decision about what you should think ahead of time or what you should be taught, and if it’s not the right thought, or idea, or perspective or philosophy, that person would be — they wouldn’t get funding, runs contrary to everything we believe about education," he said. "That might work in the Soviet Union, but that doesn’t work here. That's not who we are."

"It’s not just sometimes folks who are mad that colleges are too liberal that have a problem. Sometimes there are folks on college campuses who are liberal, and maybe even agree with me on a bunch of issues, who sometimes aren’t listening to the other side, and that’s a problem too. I’ve heard some college campuses where they don’t want to have a guest speaker who is too conservative or they don’t want to read a book if it has language that is offensive to African-Americans or somehow sends a demeaning signal towards women. I gotta tell you, I don’t agree with that either. I don’t agree that you, when you become students at colleges, have to be coddled and protected from different points of view. I think you should be able to — anybody who comes to speak to you and you disagree with, you should have an argument with ‘em. But you shouldn’t silence them by saying, "You can’t come because I'm too sensitive to hear what you have to say." That’s not the way we learn either.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:11 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Obama on liberal college students who want to be "coddled": "That’s not the way we learn"

"At a town hall here on college affordability on Monday afternoon, one student asked Obama to respond to Republican presidential contender Ben Carson's proposal to cut off funding to colleges that demonstrate political bias.

Unsurprisingly, Obama didn't like it much. "I have no idea what that means, and I suspect he doesn’t either," he said, then continued: "The idea that you’d have somebody in government making a decision about what you should think ahead of time or what you should be taught, and if it’s not the right thought, or idea, or perspective or philosophy, that person would be — they wouldn’t get funding, runs contrary to everything we believe about education," he said. "That might work in the Soviet Union, but that doesn’t work here. That's not who we are."

You could appropriately apply the bold statement to anything that Ben Carson says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies