Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 10:16 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,945,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
Oh my. The deal is done. Yeh yeh, the Iranian parliament is going through its own process but it is largely theatre. Iran has its own internal BS just like the US does with its own congressional nutjobs. The difference in this case is that only the old hardliners in Iran are against it.

The whole debate about whether or not this deal is done, is over. Well and truly. We can debate its merits for fun if you like, but it won't change the reality.
I've been told for a long time now that the Iraq war was over also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 10:17 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,217,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio1803 View Post
No, the rationale was terrible. As stated in the cia.gov website the coup was not about communism, it was about economic gain, particularly for the UK. The UK had substantial economic interests in Iran, mainly with oil. Due to issues between the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company (AIOC), and Iran the British wanted to oust Mosaddegh.
Mossadegh the Iranian President Who Changed the World | Guardian Liberty Voice
Reversal in Iran
CIA admits role in 1953 Iranian coup | World news | The Guardian

It is the job of the Iranian people to choose their own government, not the U.S.

The Islamic Revolution in 1979 was the blow back from the 1953 coup, that was the cost of the 1953 coup. Have not even mentioned, much less justified, the embassy hostage taking.

All I have stated is that the 1953 coup set in motion a chain of events that eventually led to those religious fundamentalists gaining power in Iran.
So.. You're going to evaluate the actions in 1979 based on something that happened 26 years earlier in 1953? There is scant evidence for that connection, but lets entertain you for a minute.

If you want to argue that it is the job of the Iranian people, and nobody else, to chose their government that's fine. I didn't say I SUPPORT the 1953 coup... I only told you WHY it happened.

But do you support the taking of US hostages in 1979? Yes or No?

Old 09-16-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
So.. You're going to evaluate the actions in 1979 based on something that happened 26 years earlier in 1953? There is scant evidence for that connection, but lets entertain you for a minute.

If you want to argue that it is the job of the Iranian people, and nobody else, to chose their government that's fine. I didn't say I SUPPORT the 1953 coup... I only told you WHY it happened.

We took over 100,000 Japanese hostages during WWII.

Was the situation in Iran right? All I know is that they finally got our attention.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:30 PM

595 posts, read 366,775 times
Quote:

The reason the coup occurred was due to economic interests, as mentioned earlier.

Aftershocks Of Iran's 1953 Coup Still Felt Around The World, 60 Years Later

The Iranian people overthrew the dictator the U.S. installed, the event in 1953 led to anti-American sentiment in Iran. Part of the reason the embassy hostage crisis occurred was because many Iranians feared another coup by the U.S. following the revolution.

Declassified: Washington

No, it would have been nice if the hostage crisis never happened, but it did.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We took over 100,000 Japanese hostages during WWII.

Was the situation in Iran right? All I know is that they finally got our attention.
Non sequitor.

Canada isn't far, you know that, right?

Old 09-16-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Non sequitor.

Canada isn't far, you know that, right?
It seems it always is when we do it eh?

Old 09-16-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio1803 View Post
The reason the coup occurred was due to economic interests, as mentioned earlier.

Aftershocks Of Iran's 1953 Coup Still Felt Around The World, 60 Years Later

The Iranian people overthrew the dictator the U.S. installed, the event in 1953 led to anti-American sentiment in Iran. Part of the reason the embassy hostage crisis occurred was because many Iranians feared another coup by the U.S. following the revolution.

Declassified: Washington

No, it would have been nice if the hostage crisis never happened, but it did.
You mean the "dictator" that gave women in Iran the right to vote?

It "would have been nice" if they hadn't taken US citizens hostages?

LOL!

So it was really OK with you, eh?

Of course it was. After all.. We had it coming, right?

Old 09-16-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It seems it always is when we do it eh?
Apparently you'd rather whine about the US than move somewhere that hasn't committed all of the giant war crimes nutjobs like you think we're guilty of.

Comfy here, are we?

Old 09-16-2015, 10:45 PM

595 posts, read 366,775 times
Quote:
You mean the "dictator" that gave women in Iran the right to vote?

It "would have been nice" if they hadn't taken US citizens hostages?

LOL!

So it was really OK with you, eh?

Of course it was. After all.. We had it coming, right?
What part about no to your question about whether I supported Iran taking U.S. hostages is not clear. All I stated is why the hostage crisis occurred, not that it was justified for Iran to do so. That event was part of the blow back from the 1953 coup, another reason why it is a bad idea to intervene in affairs that are not the business of the U.S.

The vote was meaningless, as you mention the Shah was a dictator. It is irrelevant to the U.S. whether women in Iran can vote or not, and is certainly not a reason for the U.S. to overthrow a government. If the U.S. did not overthrow Mosaddegh it would be very likely Iran would be friendlier, and the religious fundamentalists would not be in power in Iran.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Apparently you'd rather whine about the US than move somewhere that hasn't committed all of the giant war crimes nutjobs like you think we're guilty of.

Comfy here, are we?
I refuse to condemn others for the very thing we constantly do.

How many hostages are we holding at Gitmo? That's different right becuase the government tells us they are the bad guys. They provide nothing to prove that but "just trust them", after all, some of them fired back after we invaded their country on false pretenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies