Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 02:25 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Reagan gave amnesty to illegal immigrants as well, it was over 12million illegals he gave amnesty to.

I mentioned refugees because the poster I was responding to stated that Reagan didn't let in any refugees. That is a lie. There were many Arab/Middle Eastern and SE Asian and S. American refugees that came to America from 1981 to 1989 during Reagan's tenure as president I would guestimate over 1.5 million. He also gave a path to citizenship for over 2 million illegal immigrants, see the OP link.
What? No he didn't! He gave amnesty to 3 million illegals when he thought the number would only be 300 thousand. Check you facts please before posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 02:35 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What? No he didn't! He gave amnesty to 3 million illegals when he thought the number would only be 300 thousand. Check you facts please before posting.
Every single one of the Left's posts on this thread leave out the part where the Dems agreed to secure the border and never did. They act like this was Reagan's idea from the start which it wasn't, it was a compromise. The Dems wanted amnesty and he wanted a secured border.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:11 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
True, but that makes the point even further. Reagan offered amnesty to millions - both everyday illegals and refugees.

Again, I'm not taking Reagan's side on this because I think it's very complicated but it's interesting how the hero of conservatism acted on values that transfoemed our country but would get him rejected from the Republicans of today.
That's why R's want illegal immigration stopped first. During Reagan's presidency Democrats said they would agree to policies and walls to stop illegal immigration AFTER he gave amnesty. As we know, it never happened. And here we are again, and we are supposed to do it again. Same thing, different era.

Last edited by petch751; 09-18-2015 at 05:20 PM..

Old 09-18-2015, 05:35 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
For the umpteenth time! Refugees do not require an amnesty. They didn't break the law. So no, there is no offering amnesty to refugees. Geez!

Old 09-20-2015, 02:40 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,768 times
I would think it was a mistake for Reagan to accept so many people from that region. Many of them never did assumulate and we are stuck with vast numbers of them on welfare to this day.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:46 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
True, but that makes the point even further. Reagan offered amnesty to millions - both everyday illegals and refugees.

Again, I'm not taking Reagan's side on this because I think it's very complicated but it's interesting how the hero of conservatism acted on values that transfoemed our country but would get him rejected from the Republicans of today.

Reagan made a deal with the Democrats in congress (Ted Kennedy)....if congress secures the border then he would give amnesty to 3 million in the 80's which was more reasonable......congress and every president after him refused and now we are close to 20 million (not 11 million) illegals....the government goes by the census to count illegals which is a joke and not accurate.

Reagan would NOT make the same deal again. Only a fool will make the same deal expecting different results.....you have to secure the border first before we can compromise on any deal and NOT everyone of the illegals can stay.....more than 50% have to go.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:38 PM

934 posts, read 595,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Reagan's amnesty was part of a deal with the democrats to close the border. Unfortunately only one side kept its word.
GOP out numbered the Demicrats. They controlled the Presidency and the Senate

Old 09-20-2015, 04:39 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Have you ever used it? As simple as when people were trying to sign up on healthcare......it is not simple to use and it is setup to benefit the illegal, not the employer.
I have in fact used it. It was mandatory at my last employer. It was not exactly difficult.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:00 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,654 times
Anyone who gets all teary-eyed over the plight of refugees should watch (or re-watch) "Scarface."

Old 09-22-2015, 12:02 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
That's why R's want illegal immigration stopped first. During Reagan's presidency Democrats said they would agree to policies and walls to stop illegal immigration AFTER he gave amnesty. As we know, it never happened. And here we are again, and we are supposed to do it again. Same thing, different era.
Just like Lucy "holding" the football for Charlie Brown to kick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies