Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 05:55 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,033 times

Advertisements

"A Jersey shore city has nixed plans to sponsor a live stream of Pope Francis' Sept. 27 public Mass in Philadelphia amid threats of legal action.

The Press of Atlantic City reports members of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, a Washington-based advocacy group, filed a formal complaint Sept. 10 speaking out against the event scheduled in Cape May."

New Jersey Town Backs Out of Pope Francis Live Stream Event After Complaint | NBC New York

I'm not Catholic, but I wouldn't dream of finding this offensive. Some people need to get a hobby, or put on their big boy pants and stop whining
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 06:48 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
"A Jersey shore city has nixed plans to sponsor a live stream of Pope Francis' Sept. 27 public Mass in Philadelphia amid threats of legal action.

The Press of Atlantic City reports members of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, a Washington-based advocacy group, filed a formal complaint Sept. 10 speaking out against the event scheduled in Cape May."

New Jersey Town Backs Out of Pope Francis Live Stream Event After Complaint | NBC New York

I'm not Catholic, but I wouldn't dream of finding this offensive. Some people need to get a hobby, or put on their big boy pants and stop whining
Americans United for Separation of Church and State is not an atheist group. The executive director is an ordained minister. But they are right, the state shouldn't be sponsoring any religious event, unless they plan on doing the same for all religious events.

I bet people would be offended if it were any other religion.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:12 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Americans United for Separation of Church and State is not an atheist group. The executive director is an ordained minister. But they are right, the state shouldn't be sponsoring any religious event, unless they plan on doing the same for all religious events.

The Pope is a head of state and the Vatican is a country. Barry Lynn is nuts the leader of this movement is nuts!

Old 09-16-2015, 07:25 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The Pope is a head of state and the Vatican is a country. Barry Lynn is nuts the leader of this movement is nuts!
And if the pope were giving a political speech it would not be an issue, they were going to sponsor MASS. That is a church service, not a political speech.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:46 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,033 times
Quote:
And if the pope were giving a political speech it would not be an issue, they were going to sponsor MASS. That is a church service, not a political speech.
The convention hall is being used on a SUNDAY, probably because it's a small town and this provides people with a place to view.

Nice to know that people have literally made a full-time job out of being offended. What a great use of time.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:50 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I am an agnostic, and I would not be against this as long as it was not forced on anyone or paid for by taxes.

However, I do very much resent the fact that papal visits (and many other religious events such as the Billy Graham crusades of the past) cost taxpayers millions in added security, law enforcement, and medical personnel.

Pope Visit This Month Presents Unprecedented Security Issues - ABC News

One excerpt from the above (my italics and bold):

"None of the cities or agencies involved in the trip has given specific estimates for how much it will cost to keep order. In New York, major events have cost the city tens of millions of dollars in overtime for extra police patrols, an expense that city officials claim can be offset by economic benefits from an influx of visitors.

"U.S. Capitol Police Chief Kim Dine, for one, has suggested the pope's appearance before Congress on Sept. 24 will be a burden on the bottom line. The cost of policing the crowds expected to line the streets around the Capitol is 'something frankly that goes above and beyond our budget'."

So, yes, businesses might benefit from added visitors, but what about the taxpayers in general? Does anyone think that the added sales and hospitality taxes will come anywhere close to the expense?

Old 09-16-2015, 07:50 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:

How much money would our government lose, if it stopped supporting the Catholic Church? The Church has always been the government do you really think that has ever changed? Even when those came for religious freedom, King James and his Puritan followers, followed them.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:15 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:

I'm about as atheist as it gets. That being said I have appreciated most of what this pope has had to say and I am actually curious as to what he says. But I do not agree that taxpayer funds should be used to air it. There is a dangerous movement that is eroding the separation of church and state. This is dangerous because without separation church and state democracy turns to theocracy and the law of the land is basically sharia law. The reason the. Middle east is so messed up is because there is no separation, the church and the state may as well be the same building. And no matter how much I appreciate what the pope has to say, its not worth letting it slip and take a little chunk of the wall of separation with it

Old 09-16-2015, 08:18 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:

I like the Pope. But I find the paying of such a service with tax payer money to be highly offensive. If I am a Protestant or agnostic or atheist, why should my tax dollars be spent to broadcast the Catholic Pope's message. This is not an appropriate task for government.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:21 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I do very much resent the fact that papal visits (and many other religious events such as the Billy Graham crusades of the past) cost taxpayers millions in added security, law enforcement, and medical personnel.

I have no objection to that. Special events do result in security, law enforcement, and medical issues to the general public, including those who do not attend the event. No different than when a sports team is playing at a stadium or a 4th of July parade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies