Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 06:25 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Why do you say that? Did you see the picture of it in the suitcase? Did that look like a clock to you?
Yes, far more so than a bomb.

Quote:
It was a single-board computer and power supply, and a rats nest of wire, all stuffed into a small case.

Let's say that kid was sitting next to you in an airport and the box started beeping, as it did in his English class. He opens it and presses a few buttons to silence it, giving you a glimpse inside the box and you see that circuit board and all those wires. If you say you aren't going to at least get up and move your seat, I'm calling you a liar.
Finish the story....there would have been no story here if the teacher had simply asked to see the clock. There wouldn't have been a story if she had confiscated it becuase it interrupted the class.

it's a story because they arrested him, took him away in handcuffs and wouldn't let his parents see him even after knowing it was just a clock.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:39 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
it's a story because they arrested him, took him away in handcuffs and wouldn't let his parents see him even after knowing it was just a clock.
If that's what happened, then I agree. But that's a big if. The media is sensationalizing the hell out of this and I doubt we've heard the whole story. But one thing is for sure, the kid knew damn well the thing could be mistaken for a bomb. He said it himself in the video and his science teacher told him that as well. And still he walked around school with it. He is not blameless, not by a long shot.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:40 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If they thought for one second that it was really a bomb, why didn't the evacuate the school? Why did several teachers, administrators, and police officers handle the suspected bomb? Why wasn't a bomb squad called in? Why wasn't the device detonated rather than sitting on a desk while Ahmed was questioned without a parent present?

The way they treated this young man is astounding. It would be even more reprehensible had they acted this way if they actually thought there was even the most minute risk that the clock was actually a bomb.
There is evidence of them not knowing how to handle a purported bomb, this could be for a number of reasons. There is a very real chance they did not think it was a bomb but were unsure or unwilling to take that chance, irrelevant of who the kids is. There is no evidence of them making a big deal out of it because of the kid's name or religion. This would not be news if the same exact thing happened to a kid named John, and we all know schools notoriously overreact to **** like this, irrelevant of a kids name, so I call bull**** on the SJW's jumping to conclusions.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:43 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
This kid was targeted because of the times we live in and his name, a Muslim name. Sorry for him, but he is reaping the repercussions of what is happening in our world. When they no longer are killing people with bombs, he and other young Muslim men won't be targeted as potential terrorists. Until then, he and other young Muslim men like him will be watched carefully.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:45 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
If that's what happened, then I agree. But that's a big if. The media is sensationalizing the hell out of this and I doubt we've heard the whole story. But one thing is for sure, the kid knew damn well the thing could be mistaken for a bomb. He said it himself in the video and his science teacher told him that as well. And still he walked around school with it. He is not blameless, not by a long shot.
We have become a bunch of paranoid squirrels. Ever see a squirrel jump and twitch at any movement anywhere near them? Anything and everything makes them skittish.

Schools used to be able to deal with something like this in a sane rational manner. Granted, that they no longer can isn't all their fault. The squirrels get some of the blame.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:53 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,553,456 times
why did they have to cuff him? there were 5 cops there questioning him. He's a child.

and after they confirmed it was in fact a clock, they STILL suspended him for 3 days??

Then the idiot principal sends this letter out to all parents. I hope he is forced to resign.

Texas principal sends awful letter to parents after Ahmed Mohamed was wrongfully arrested | The Verge

Old 09-16-2015, 08:24 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
So, now the young gentleman has been invited to bring his clock to the White House and meet the President.
BY THE PRESIDENT!
Will the Secret Service allow it?

Old 09-16-2015, 08:27 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
I'm a teacher and we were talking about how idiotic this is at lunch. If this happened in my classroom, I would have let the student demonstrate it to the class, then ask him to put it away so it doesn't become a distraction.

The media and government sure are doing a good job at instilling fear in everyone about bombs, terrorists, and other threats du jour.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:54 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm a teacher and we were talking about how idiotic this is at lunch. If this happened in my classroom, I would have let the student demonstrate it to the class, then ask him to put it away so it doesn't become a distraction.

The media and government sure are doing a good job at instilling fear in everyone about bombs, terrorists, and other threats du jour.
What if you thought it was a bomb? All these people would be yelling at you.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:02 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Considering that the idiots that run our schools will suspend or expel a kid that chews a damn Pop Tart into the shape of a gun, draws a picture of a gun or brings a toy army man to school, exactly what do you expect when someone brings a "fake bomb"? There have been MANY cases in the last few years where teachers and administrators over-reacted, with far less reason or justification than in this case.

Funny how they never got invited to the big white house though-I guess you gotta be a member of the Jihadi class for that to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies