Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 07:48 AM

8,073 posts, read 9,994,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
Carson simply isn't a debater...he just doesn't have the temperament for it. There was just no way he was going to do well in this kind of format. I don't mean this as a knock on him...I'm just saying that you have to have a certain kind of personality in order to be competent in this kind of debate. You have to be good at quickly thinking on your feet and adept at being concise and giving good soundbites. Carson is none of those things...like many other intellectuals, he tends to think about each word before he says it. He is more effective on the stump, during one-on-one interviews, etc...basically places where he has time to thoroughly articulate and explain himself.

Carson lacks charisma and is uninspiring...and those things alone make him seem utterly unfit for POTUS (or even VP). It's hard to fire up the rank-and-file person when you're spouting numbers and details in a monotonous tone. Dude sounds like he's on Xanax. You have to show an emotional, passionate side to inspire people. His demeanor is fine (good, even) for an office job or a neurosurgeon, but for running for President...he's just too low-key. Carson would be a better fit for Surgeon General.

I was very impressed with Carly's performance...excellent debater. She's the first candidate to actually put Trump on the defensive. Before this debate, a lot of people really haven't seen her or know much about her. That's no longer the case. I could see her rising all the way to 2nd place behind Trump within the next few weeks. Her closing statement was a little too scripted, and I think she should start mixing in a little more friendliness and warmth in the future to endear herself more to the people. Running for POTUS is a serious deal, of course...and I think having an "attack dog" side to you is a strong plus...but showing a nicer side every now and then will help her likeability even more.

Rubio was also pretty good...he still comes across as a bit too "rehearsed" to me, but he was better in this debate than in the first one.

Jeb showed more energy, but like the first debate...he gave off a strong impression that he really didn't want to be there.

Trump didn't help himself, but I don't think he hurt himself that much (if at all) either. It was interesting (but not surprising) that when the questions delved into substance, he got kinda quiet. However, I don't think his supporters give a damn about substance and details on the economy, foreign policy, etc...they just want Washington to be formatted like a hard drive, and then rebooted with a clean, fresh install.

The biggest losers were the CNN moderators. Holy crap, Jake Tapper was horrible. He had absolutely no control over the debate. The candidates didn't respect him at all, they just walked all over him. Hewitt and Dana Bash were largely invisible, which is unfortunate b/c the few questions they did ask were better than Tapper's.

The next GOP debate needs to be 2 hours and have 6 participants tops. It's time for a few more of the candidates to drop out...Huckabee for example...stick a fork in him, he's done.
Not sure I agree with everything here....CNN did a good job at herding eleven cats.....not an easy task.

But...your view on the candidates is pretty sport on.

Trump peaked...now we see how far he falls.

Fiorina soared.....she'll be one of the six, for sure...IF they make a cut now. (Jeez, I hope she gets her hemorrhoids fixed...that scowl!)

Chrisitie...fuggedaboudit.

Paul, Huckabee....can't believe he brought up THAT woman again/still, Cruz, Walker...nothing there. Some personal agendas, but really?

Jed...wait till Barb gets ahold of him.....yup, he really doesn't feel like he truly wants to be there.

Carson...not his forum....plus yes, no way the tea party elects a black man...horror of horrors.

Kusich....he'll hang in there...did you know he took Ohio from 8 bil deficit to 2 bil surplus? I guess we do now.

Rubio....well rehearsed....modern day version of a politician. Presidential material?

Fiorina took it...but does she have enough money to keep going? At then end of the day, it comes down to dollars and statistics. Opinions, views, and popular votes don't really matter much. Get the right victories in the right precincts in the right states and you get the electoral college votes and become President.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:50 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,734,032 times
I agree the debate was too long, just as Fox's was and I honestly think that it was too much elementary school bickering that I hear enough at work, but this time with politics so i just turned it off at about the 9:10 mark on the program.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:52 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,266,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty
This was no debate, and Tapper interrupting every 5 seconds was annoying, as was candidates' forced to scream, "Jake...Jake!" with their hands up as if they were asking permission to go to a grade school lavatory. .
If the candidates had paid attention to their allotted time limits and the warning clock, Tapper wouldn't have been put in the position of trying to get them to stop talking when their time was up. If you want to be annoyed by anyone then be annoyed with the candidates, not Jake. He was just trying to get them to follow the rules they each agreed to follow. I would have cut their mics when they rambled on, stealing time they shouldn't have gotten. The fact that they all tried to do that make the debate run too long.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:55 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,734,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
If the candidates had paid attention to their allotted time limits and the warning clock, Tapper wouldn't have been put in the position of trying to get them to stop talking when their time was up. If you want to be annoyed by anyone then be annoyed with the candidates, not Jake. He was just trying to get them to follow the rules they each agreed to follow. I would have cut their mics when they rambled on, stealing time they shouldn't have gotten. The fact that they all tried to do that make the debate run too long.
That and they never actually answered the questions. Forcing Tapper to bring that up. I think you can get really drunk if you played the "You didn't answer the question" by Jake Tapper drinking game.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:00 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,266,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That and they never actually answered the questions. Forcing Tapper to bring that up. I think you can get really drunk if you played the "You didn't answer the question" by Jake Tapper drinking game.
I like that he didn't let them get away with no answering the questions. That might be a good drinking game at the next debate. LOL

Old 09-17-2015, 08:01 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,249,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Something about these focus groups makes me a little queasy. So what...30% of republicans enthusiastically support Trump yet the entire "focus group" quickly jumps to the tit of Fiorina?

"I am not accepting money from anybody. Nobody has control of me accept the American people."

To me, this was the line that best explains Trump's support.
If the American people are stupid enough to believe that Trump feels submissive to their will (or anyone's will for that matter), then we deserve exactly what we get from him.

My gosh, the man comes across as sophomoric! All those RIDICULOUS and immature insults, those expressions, that EGO.

Honestly, I hate to say it because it sounds so over the top, but I can't listen to him or look at him without thinking of Hitler in about 1933.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:01 AM

76,860 posts, read 47,198,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
CNN is a joke....... I knew CNN had an agenda with the first question of do you trust Trump with the nuke codes suggesting Trump is a madman with a temper.....I don't see CNN asking Bernie in a debate if Hillary can be trusted with the nuke codes in her period or because of her server fiasco.....Then CNN asks STUPID questions like Trump said this about you, what do you think?......Trump said this what do you think? he said this, what do you think?.....what a joke of a network CNN is.
It's a question that was brought up by another GOP candidate, and it is a good question.

Do you trust someone like Trump with it?

No way!

Old 09-17-2015, 08:02 AM

7,910 posts, read 4,898,378 times
Sorry, I don't know why anyone who would want some FAILED CEO like Florina in charge of the country. She couldn't even manage her own business

Old 09-17-2015, 08:04 AM

18,986 posts, read 8,994,767 times
Fiorina will undoubtedly move up in the polls after last night. She was very well rehearsed and put on a good performance, but she seems phony to me. I find her very unlikable.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:07 AM

9,872 posts, read 10,774,607 times
Default Winners and Losers

I started a thread before any but ibginnie mod once again decide she was just going to delete it.
Winners; Rubio, Fiorina, especially on the Military and defense.
Christy, came out swinging and I think we will see his numbers go up.
Cruz , Huckabee , did well for the limited time they got.
Trump took some hits and I suspect his numbers will reflect that. He looked the least Presidential second only to Paul.
Carson , maintained didn't knock anything out of the park , but didn't hurt himself either.
Bush , I think had a good night after a somewhat rough and awkward start.
Walker , may be in trouble, he needed to have a night like Rubio, love his politics , but his howdydoody persona is hurting him.
Kasich is fighting to be the Pragmatist, don't think it is going to work.
Big Loser; Rand Paul, doubling down on his whacked isolationist foreign policy and rambling tangent on Cannabis oil. I used to think he , unlike his father could be President... I was wrong! His problem is not just the message but also the messenger, just like his father. The least Presidential looking of the bunch. Fiorina sounded more manly than he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies