Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 09:23 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,342 times

Advertisements

People don't respect others and although I find it horrible when it comes to the police they aren't the only ones on the receiving end. This is due to how the parents have raised their children. The kids are even disrespectful to one another. I hope it was worth being your child's friend rather than a parent.
The police have every right to shoot a person coming at them with a weapon no matter what color or social status. If you think you can get away with such behavior just continue on eventually the police will run out of those type of people.

Last edited by PJ1252; 09-22-2015 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: left out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 04:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
They have only themselves to blame. The absolute revulsion people feel when they see a cop is the result of actions cops alone have taken. For example:

Shooting Victim Demands Justice Ahead Of NYPD Officer’s Guilty Plea « CBS New York

Cop gets 'blackout drunk', in his own words, and shoots a guy 6 times. That guy's arm was destroyed and he is lucky to be alive. He eventually went home to his child. And the cop? 17 months of paid leave. And you people wonder why cops are 'disrespected?!!? How do you think the victims of their actions feel? Smdh.
The people would be perfectly justified in rioting if he doesn't get the same sentence as anyone else.

On top of that, if he was drinking with supervisors and they allowed him to get into a car with a gun, obviously inebriated, they at the very least should be fired also if not charged with a crime.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:05 AM

524 posts, read 400,206 times
People will have no excuse to marginalize police officers once tgey are held to the same standard under the criminal justice system as all other people are. I tend to refrain from generalizing an entire population of people because it isn't valid or fair. ****ty people exist in all occupations, the difference with LE is that they have a seperate set of laws.
On another note, I had several run ins with LE the other night. I intern at a sub-acute unit for those with cooccuring disorders. The city has recently implemented a program to help train LE on dealing with mental health clients. Therefore, they have come on to the unit for training from time to time these last few months. It's very structured and they have no interaction with any clients. Anyway, at 7pm, I have a cop come to the unit and ask to use our bathroom. I tell him no. He looked at me in disbelief and asked again. I repeat myself and add that unless you are specifically called by us, you cannot enter. The guy was dissapointed, but walked away no problem. Thirty minutes later a shift Sargent shows up and wants to cut through to a connected, but very seperate building. He tries to pull the door open and come in, but i was standing in the doorway. I tell him no. He states that he is part of the new MH program and he's allowed on the unit. I tell him that he is mistaken. The guy turns beet red and starts telling me about not wanting to wait to call someone to open the door for him and he doesn't have the time to wait for that ect., therefore I have to let him cut through. Mind you, all the doors are locked to which he has no key, so even if I let him in, he could not let himself into the other building. He just stood at the door, red and frustrated, not wanting to accept my response. I told him to have a good night and locked the door.
I guess some people don't like to be told no when they wear a uniform and am used to a world of yes. What a bad attitude!

Old 09-23-2015, 07:07 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The people would be perfectly justified in rioting if he doesn't get the same sentence as anyone else.

On top of that, if he was drinking with supervisors and they allowed him to get into a car with a gun, obviously inebriated, they at the very least should be fired also if not charged with a crime.
I remember that case when it first happened. It looked at the time like the cop was getting special treatment. Treated with kid gloves so to speak. Now I learn that this whole time he's been suspended with pay. You'd think that him getting blind drunk would be enough cause to fire him. Much less shooting some poor guy six times without any provocation or justification whatsoever. I've seen many such cases through the years. Cops not held to the same standards as everyone else. These cases turn reasonable people against the police. Police departments need to come down on the bad apples like a ton of bricks. The "circle the wagons" mentality isn't doing anyone any good, cops or civilians.

Last edited by r small; 09-23-2015 at 08:20 AM..

Old 09-23-2015, 08:56 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
The fact that cops can literally get away with murder is ludicrous. There is "justice" for everyone but police and it absolutely has to stop because people are gradually losing all trust in all police. When you have to fear for your life everytime police stop you it becomes impossible to trust or give true respect to any officer whether they are one of the good ones or not.
Got news for you... the vast majority of people who commit murder get away with it.
Not because of justifiable homicide, that is only about 6% of all homicides even if you include police shootings.

They get away with it because only 63% of murder cases are cleared, and dropping every year. 20% of those cleared cases are "exceptional cases" where charges are never filed. And when charges are filed, the conviction rate hovers between 40 and 50%. Even if you assume a 50% conviction rate, that still means that 75% of people who commit murder get away with it.

Shortly after August 2014 in Ferguson, the St Louis County Police dept was flooded with phone calls and emails from Vietnam vets. The vets were calling because they strongly believed that the cops in Ferguson were being scapegoated in the same way that soldiers were scapegoated in their time. Instead of baby-killers, they are racist killers. Frozen water bottles replaced spitting. Doxing replaced egging. The message of the vets over and over has been, "Some day the American public will look back at how they treated you and realize they were wrong."

I thought it was weird that the vets themselves were the ones making the comparison. It may be more them mirroring their treatment on another group to say to themselves, "See, this is how the media and the American public really are." But the volume of vets expressing the opinion unsolicited has to say something (and yes, I am sure someone will come in here saying, "But here is an anecdote where a vet thinks the pigs are evil!").

Old 09-23-2015, 09:08 AM

I for one would like to see where the above stats come from.

Even then the question is how many caught on tape are drug out this long with a plea bargain?

Last edited by pknopp; 09-23-2015 at 09:16 AM..

Old 09-23-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Cite?
Independent citizen review boards. They review the worst of the worst cases against officers, the "bad apples" of the "bad apples", and yet they overturn over 90% of the complaints brought before them.
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/184430.pdf

Even the most active board in the country, the San Francisco Office of Citizen Complaints, and one of the most independent boards, the Berkeley Police Review Commission, sustained 10% and 9%, respectively, of complaints brought before them. (And these numbers are from the 1990s, if you look at both boards today they are under 5% of complaints sustained now)

Old 09-23-2015, 09:42 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
I blame police officers.
So statistically cops might get over zealous less than 1% of the time and you are endorsing that all cops deserve to be disrespected.

If you applied that logic to any other organization, religion, ethnic goup, gender or race guess what you'd be called?

Old 09-23-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I for one would like to see where the above stats come from.
You can find clearance rates in the FBI's annual Crime in the US reports.
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s
I used the 2012 numbers, the most recent year with a finalized annual report. The 2013 numbers do have the clearance rate up slightly at 64.1%.
Table 25 gives you clearance rates. Data tables 14 and 15 of the expanded homicide data (not tables 14 and 15 of the crimes in the US data) give you the justifiable homicides for police officers and civilians.

There are no exceptional clearance and conviction rate states nationwide, but you can find stats for individual cities all over the place and you will pretty much always find numbers consistent with the range I posted.
Cities with gang problems have much higher exceptional clearance rates (the suspects are killed by someone else before they can be arrested, or the prosecutor declines to even issue charges because they have no confidence in the witnesses). More residential and suburban cities, where more murders are domestic violence, have higher conviction rates (sometimes over 80%).

Old 09-23-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
So statistically cops might get over zealous less than 1% of the time and you are endorsing that all cops deserve to be disrespected.
The question was who is responsible for the growing disrespect. It makes no difference what the percent is the police are responsible for it.

Quit standing up and defending the 1% and the respect will be earned back.

Quote:
If you applied that logic to any other organization, religion, ethnic goup, gender or race guess what you'd be called?
Willing to state the obvious?

Not every person invested in Wall Street made the bad decisions that led to the 2008 crash but have those that did cause an overall disrespect for Wall Street?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies