Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 12:48 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Ask any mom as she exits the grocery store if she believes that inflation has been a problem.

Pknopp, that's not inflation. Food price is determined by market factors. There's no inflation according to CPI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 12:48 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
It's the job of the Fed to protect against inflation and unemployment. There is no reason to raise rates in a 5.1% UE economy that has low inflation.
Unemployment...........

Raise rates.....those who can't retire off their savings can retire. That opens up jobs for others. Upon the Fed indicating rates are going to rise people get off their backsides and make the big purchases. Housing does well. Manufacturing does well. Jobs then do well.

It does make it more difficult for the government to fund their wars though.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:50 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
It is part of that but it's not even that. It's the story they are telling the world. It goes something like this.

"We took extraordinary steps to try and shore up the economy and it hasn't worked" It's the negativity that will lead to even more uncertainty. Uncertainty is terrible for the economy.

There are two areas this is positive. Government debt and the stock markets. Neither should be at the top of the list. Right now the governments desires to spend way beyond their means is the enemy of main street. Debt should be expensive.
Ah, so you're saying that the government is crowding out private borrowing? It isn't.
As for "spending beyond its means," the deficit is way down and spending is flat.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Pknopp, that's not inflation. Food price is determined by market factors. There's no inflation according to CPI.
The government lies. People paying more each time they go to the store will disagree with you that isn't inflation. You can call it what you want but the Fed's actions are indeed causing this.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:52 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Where do you get those numbers?

These are the numbers from two separate methods of computing inflation, the CPI and the Billion Dollar Index. Both show low inflation.
wow...phony numbers from the government

my utility bills have increase
my medical bills have increase...my insurance(government insurance) premium this jan went up 28%
my food prices(grocery AND resturant) have increased
my clothing prices have increase

prices on nearly everything (except home sales) have gone up 5-15% this past year, yet the government figure is only 1-2%....

inflation has been near 15% for the last 3 years

look at the prices in the stores

have you benn to the store

prices are going up, and up

coffee is double what it was just 5 years ago in 2008

coffee up

sugar up

cotton up

corn up

all other vegitable up

all meats up

almost everything us up

REAL INFALTION IS CURRENTLY ABOUT 10-15% or more...unfortuantely the government(from either party) doesnt give us the REAL numbers

it certainly is for every working class person or old person

you think that your utility cost being up is not inlation???

you think your medical/pharm costs being up is not inflation???

you think your clothing costs being up is not inflation???

you think your housing (rent and rela taxes) being up is not inflation???

you think food costs going up is not inflation???

you think building supply costs (ie home depot) being UP is not inflation???

almost EVERYTHING we use has gone up by at least 10% to in some cases 30% in the last 3 years...and you are going to tell me inflation is "only 2% or less"

have you been to the store???...have you SEEN THE PRICES???? milk is nearly $4 a gallon...meats have gone though the roof...in 2004 a 3lb can of coffee was about $3...today its a 2.2lb can of coffee and its $10...over a 300% increase in less than 10 years

sorry you are too blind to see

you certainly do prove that the sheeple are out there for the slaughter

so are you going to tell me YOU BELIEVE the government TELLING YOU that inflation is at 0-3% when PRICES in nearly everything have risen 10-20% or more????

the 'inflation rate' is not REAL INFLATION (ie COST inflation) that real americans (and seniors) feel with almost everything we buy

costs are going up on almost everything..especially food (which is NOT counted in the 'inflation rate')

Junk fish called Tauplia which was selling in 2008 for 1.28 a pound is now over 5.00 a pound...Catfish that averaged between 3.49 and 3.99 at 6.00 plus.... Not just one store, they are all similar in price. Paper towels are highway robbery.....deli ham/turkey which I used to get for 2-4 a pound...now 6-9 a pound

last Thanksgiving,,Sweet potatoes they were 49 cent/pound...now $1.79/pound

breyers icecream HALF GALLON, was (2008) 2for 5...now its 1.5 quarts and its 4/each

Even cooking oil 48 fl oz... went from $2.99 (reg. p about 6 months ago) to $3.69 (sale)... from $4.29 (reg. price).

Old 09-17-2015, 12:52 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
And you believe it? Why don't you go and look at how it's calculated these days. It's like the unemployment reporting. Totally bogus.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Ah, so you're saying that the government is crowding out private borrowing? It isn't.
As for "spending beyond its means," the deficit is way down and spending is flat.
First off, the wars are being done off budget. They aren't even being accounted for and to pick a start date when the government and the Fed went crazy and to say, they aren't as crazy as they were a few years ago doesn't make for a compelling argument.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Unemployment...........

Raise rates.....those who can't retire off their savings can retire. That opens up jobs for others. Upon the Fed indicating rates are going to rise people get off their backsides and make the big purchases. Housing does well. Manufacturing does well. Jobs then do well.

It does make it more difficult for the government to fund their wars though.
The image of the little old lady living hand to mouth off the interest on her bank account is basically a fiction. Most retired Americans depend on Social Security for the majority of their income, and have very little in interest earnings; the decline in rates has primarily hurt a small minority of very well-off seniors. According to data from ( here) the change in asset income of seniors from all sources from 2006 to 2010, as interest rates fell through the floor, was much bigger among the better-off, who have other sources of income and wealth.

Actually, low rates get people off their backsides to purchases, as there is lower opportunity cost to spend instead of save money.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
First off, the wars are being done off budget. They aren't even being accounted for and to pick a start date when the government and the Fed went crazy and to say, they aren't as crazy as they were a few years ago doesn't make for a compelling argument.
Wars were off-bugdet during Bush. That's not true any longer.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
wow...phony numbers from the government

my utility bills have increase
my medical bills have increase...my insurance(government insurance) premium this jan went up 28%
my food prices(grocery AND resturant) have increased
my clothing prices have increase
This is the problem with seat-of-the-pants calculations, they include what is noticeable and ignore what is not. Food rises and falls and is not consistent. Any rise in food has been offset by the drop in energy.

I doubt your utility bills increased. Energy prices are down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies