Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do the rich have a duty to help the poor in your opinion?
Yes 89 40.64%
No 130 59.36%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 03:24 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times

Advertisements

Rich and poor should have equality of opportunity. The thing is that this usually requires the rich to pay a lot to make up for what the poor can't afford through taxation. Maybe that's a coerced gift, I don't know. I just know there are places in the world where the upper class is on our standard of living and the poor live awfully due to lack of opportunity. Instead of paying high taxes they pay for walls to keep poor people away. I don't think the USA should become one of those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 03:51 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,026,497 times
I subscribe to the Dennis Miller philosophy: I'm willing to help the helpless, but don't give a rat's behind about the clueless.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:18 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Rich and poor should have equality of opportunity. The thing is that this usually requires the rich to pay a lot to make up for what the poor can't afford through taxation. Maybe that's a coerced gift, I don't know. I just know there are places in the world where the upper class is on our standard of living and the poor live awfully due to lack of opportunity. Instead of paying high taxes they pay for walls to keep poor people away. I don't think the USA should become one of those places.
We're already there in much of the country.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:51 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
I subscribe to the Dennis Miller philosophy: I'm willing to help the helpless, but don't give a rat's behind about the clueless.
Many people feel the same way, the problem is progressive believe the clueless are also the helpless. Every problem is always caused by some outside force and no one is ever to blame for their poor life choices.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:39 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Many people feel the same way, the problem is progressive believe the clueless are also the helpless. Every problem is always caused by some outside force and no one is ever to blame for their poor life choices.

Um, like Hurricane Sandy and the Great Recession?

What you're not understanding is that many people don't always realize they're making poor life choices. Like, say, maybe when they're married and employed, they decide to have a child. How silly of them to not be able to see the future when their job gets shipped overseas.

And then there's the people who are just trying to survive day to day. It's hard enough to do that, leaving very little energy for thinking about tomorrow beyond just packing a lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies