Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 07:31 PM

335 posts, read 324,861 times

Advertisements

I thought I read someplace this guy's military career started in the Navy. Rear Admiral, if I recall correctly.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:02 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
Fanny will declare one day a year Army Gay Pride Day. Soldiers will be forced to wear gay colored camies and raise the gay pride flag at military bases.

This is just another step of Obama destroying the military. I can't f'ing stand him.

No wonder Obama's reputation among servicemembers (they're the ones that matter here) is abysmal. Looks like he got rid of all those generals just in time, too.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:24 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
But this is a civilian role no? Are the majority that fill this role former military?

A lot of them have been career bureaucrats without any military service. So this guy fits the bill perfectly. The longest tenured Secretary of the Army under the previous administration had no military experience either.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:58 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
So you are saying that the position of Secretary of the Army is a position of absolutely no importance. That's not a question by the way...you made your opinion clear enough. I'm glad, however, to hear that if Obama picked this particular person for the job for purely political reasons, it doesn't really matter.
That's not what I said, but you know that perfectly well.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:02 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Picture the fight scene that spilled on to the movie set with Dom DeLuise in Blazing Saddles. Now interject our new General as he leads our army into battle.

"Come on girls".

Old 09-22-2015, 08:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Personally, I don't care if the person is this/that/the other thing, believes in this/that/the other thing. As long as they are qualified/the best candidate for a job and THAT'S the reason they were hired.....perfect!

So why does everything have to be labeled as the 1st(insert color, religious belief, sexual orientation, nationality, etc.) have to be so high up on the list of things to mention? In my view, I suppose it's often about politicians wanting to selfishly gain political points(votes).

It would certainly be refreshing to here/read "qualified individual hired to do XYZ job", talk about their qualifications/experience and end it there. The rest is a non-issue to me and I bet to many others.
Amen and amen.

I want the best qualified person for the job - period. I don't want to be forced to think one way or another about their sexual orientation.

Below is a link describing the duties of the position. If this guy is the best candidate for the job, then more power to him.

That being said, it seems strange to me that this position doesn't require prior military service.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/3013

Old 09-22-2015, 08:05 AM

1,273 posts, read 990,881 times
All three services? Aren't they leaving out one?
ARMY,MARINES, AIR FORCE, NAVY

honorable mention to the Coast Guard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies