Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 10:42 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Having fun being silly? Good for you!
Don't make fun of him. He has vast experience making arrests. LOLOLOL

Old 09-21-2015, 10:45 AM

50,796 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
...the department spokesperson said that the PO's actions are no out of line with department policy. You don't like how this was handled however since his own department is backing him up!!! ...
They always do. You always do.

Here's my suggestion. Save yourself a lot of time keyboarding and just save a blanket statement you can cut and paste: "The police are always right. They are above the common folks and are allowed to do anything they want to keep it that way." That would pretty much cover your SOP.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:45 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Why did the cop have to stop him in the first place?

The police officer could have watched this kid cross the street and never said a word. In fact, they do it all the time. I've committed traffic violations in front of officers and had them not pay any attention at all. They don't have to bring down the full force of the law on every freaking minor violation.

This notion that people must immediately obey every order of every officer on the street or risk being beaten or killed both bewilders and terrifies me. The idea that saying, "Why are you stopping me?" or "Get your hands off of me" or "what did I do?" is reason enough to be beaten by a government official runs counter to living in country that at one time was known as "the land of the free."
Apparently because he was standing in the street in the bus lane which is a violation and dangerous. Its my understanding he wasn't just crossing the street. Now all I saw was the initial video clip which did not show what happened prior to the altercation so honestly I don't know exactly what happened. It was apparent the kid was cursing the officer, it was apparent the kid grabbed the officers club. This is not being "beaten" for asking what you did or why you are being stopped.

One could also ask, why didn't the kid just comply. I keep hearing people say police officers are held to a higher standard. If that is so then they should also be given their due respect. You can not have expectations officers be near perfect in every aspect and at the same time disregard their authority.

As far as your traffic violations being ignored (Ill assume you didn't yell obscenities at the cops) if you had gone on and caused an accident injuring others I'm sure that officer would be held accountable for not "doing his/her job".

Old 09-21-2015, 10:46 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Police have the Constitutional right to arrest. There is a procedure whereby if they arrested falsely, there is retribution towards that police officer.

To resist arrest is illegal. Period. Also stupid. It has nothing to do with being a sheep. I am quite capable and HAVE changed policy that I was against, because I am not a sheep. But what does THAT have to do with following a legal order?
It's difficult to exact retribution when you're dead.

Of course, I'm not talking about this particular incident. But over and over again we see video of cops beating and killing people who have resisted arrest. And over and over again, people come to the defense of these police officers. It is simply amazing.

Our country was founded by people who were disrespectful of authority. Those same people made sure that our Constitution protected our right to be disrespectful. That's what freedom of speech is. The RIGHT to say things that **** other people off.

But have a government official come along in a uniform and all of a sudden we're all supposed to fall down at their feet, kiss their boots and say, "Here are my First and Fourth Amendment rights. I don't really need them."

Old 09-21-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
They always do. You always do.

Here's my suggestion. Save yourself a lot of time keyboarding and just save a blanket statement you can cut and paste: "The police are always right. They are above the common folks and are allowed to do anything they want to keep it that way." That would pretty much cover your SOP.
Hey I will respond to your nonsense evey time. I mean you are the resident educator expert. I look forward to your words of wisdom!!! You don't like that I defend cops. Too bad!!!

Old 09-21-2015, 10:52 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Apparently because he was standing in the street in the bus lane which is a violation and dangerous. Its my understanding he wasn't just crossing the street. Now all I saw was the initial video clip which did not show what happened prior to the altercation so honestly I don't know exactly what happened. It was apparent the kid was cursing the officer, it was apparent the kid grabbed the officers club. This is not being "beaten" for asking what you did or why you are being stopped.

One could also ask, why didn't the kid just comply. I keep hearing people say police officers are held to a higher standard. If that is so then they should also be given their due respect. You can not have expectations officers be near perfect in every aspect and at the same time disregard their authority.

As far as your traffic violations being ignored (Ill assume you didn't yell obscenities at the cops) if you had gone on and caused an accident injuring others I'm sure that officer would be held accountable for not "doing his/her job".
It's important to know what happened before the altercation, don't you think?

Was anyone in danger? Or was it potentially dangerous? Was the kid hurrying to catch a bus? Did he ever present a threat to anyone at all?

Did the kid take the club out of its holder or did the officer have it out? If so, was the kid justified in thinking he was about to be hit with it? If so, was he supposed to take that too? Because he mouthed off? Why should anyone fear being beaten with a club by police officer for arguing?

Old 09-21-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

Was anyone in danger? Or was it potentially dangerous? Was the kid hurrying to catch a bus? Did he ever present a threat to anyone at all?

Did the kid take the club out of its holder or did the officer have it out? If so, was the kid justified in thinking he was about to be hit with it? If so, was he supposed to take that too? Because he mouthed off? Why should anyone fear being beaten with a club by police officer for arguing?
Or OMG he decided to listen. Or he decided OMG not to curse out a PO in front of a crowd of people. OMG then none of this would have happened!!!

Old 09-21-2015, 11:07 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
And people are not supposed to resist arrest. You resist you are asking for trouble!!!!
Resisting arrest is a crime in itself ...

Old 09-21-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Resisting arrest is a crime in itself ...
See that's ok to some here. If you don't like what a cop is telling you to do ignore it. If a cop is placing you under arrest and you don't like it then resist. You get hurt resisting arrest then that's not your fault. Its the cop that's at fault!!! Blame everyone else but never ever look at yourself as the problem!!

Old 09-21-2015, 11:23 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
[quote=Marlow;41280460]
Quote:

Yes I do think.
All we see is what happened after the situation escalated.
In any event we know the kid violated the law, we know the kid cursed the officer we know the kid resisted. He could have been in danger or presented a threat.
Seriously, I cant believe this is some innocent teen who was just running to catch his bus and grabbed by the police for no reason.

Quote:
Ok just stop. Do not argue with the police. There is no reason to argue with the police. They aren't out to get you. If you feel your rights have been violated there is procedure. Hopefully you wont have the same attitude while standing before the judge because if you tell him/her to F.O. and grab their gavel well that wont end well either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies