Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 03:46 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,586,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And are you making any progress here on this thread convincing those whose views are different that yours? I don't those converts, either.

And, the vast majority of us are not COP HATERS. We are simply demanding a higher standard of performance for ALL COPS, that matches the high standard of performance of MOST COPS.
The recent relentless proliferation of hysterical headlines: "Bad Cops Kill Innocent Child," etc., etc., are, yes, coming from Cop Haters …

Again, just notice the title of this particular thread … I rest my case ...

Old 09-21-2015, 04:13 PM

34,744 posts, read 16,758,918 times
[quote=Marlow;41282624]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

I think my feathers are justifiably ruffled.

Look, I behave myself in a calm and civilized manner at all times, but that is not the point here.

The First Amendment protects unpleasant speech that challenges authority. That is why it's in the Constitution. Pleasant, civilized speech rarely needs protection. The Fourth Amendment protects against unwarranted search and seizure. The Fourteenth Amendment provides us all with due process of law.

Police officers are not entitled to disregard individual's rights. Not even the rights of mouthy, disrespectful teenagers. Or lowlife drug dealers. Or murderers. If you truly fully support the Bill of Rights, then you have to support the rights of people who act like asses. The rights do not just exist to for good, nice, law-abiding people, but for everyone. Everyone who is walking down the street and everyone who is accused of a crime enjoys the exact same rights that you do. And if we, the good, kind, educated, law-abiding citizens don't protect the rights of the jerks and the idiots and scofflaws, then all of our rights are at stake.
The First and Fourteenth Amendment protects speech, not action. Threats, implicit or explicit are not protected.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:15 PM

18,340 posts, read 18,963,331 times
the cops should be using their mace more often in situations like this.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the cops should be using their mace more often in situations like this.
Yup …

And it turns out that the kid has really bad asthma, and dies from the pepper spray … and then the headline will be, "Cops Kill Another Innocent Child, This Time With Poison Gas" ...

Old 09-21-2015, 04:29 PM

Again, I highly recommend the humorous but genuinely serious video by Chris Rock, "How To Not Get Your Ass Kicked by the Police"

In summary of it:

(1) Obey the law …
(2) Use common sense …
(3) Stop immediately …
(4) Be polite …
(5) SHUT the F*CK up ...

Old 09-21-2015, 04:53 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,100,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dog View Post
I don't need to see how he crossed because the police department and even the person that made the video said he was in the street and not on the sidewalk. Basic research is your friend.

Happens in every city in America. Everyday. You ever caught a city bus??

If he knew how to properly cross a street then we wouldn't even have this thread right now or are you saying this teen just didn't give a f*** ?

I'm saying the cop overreacted.

Do you need the meaning of Jaywalking?

There's that tone again. Still doesn't make you any more right than before.

The key words is cross the street properly in a Transit Center area. You make me laugh.

It doesn't matter if everyone seen someone jaywalked as the people only caught are the ones that is seen by a police officer. I'm waiting for your proof on your selectively enforced logic.
Great logic.

You just described selective enforcement. Don't know if you were meaning to or not. But that's what I was calling this instance.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:13 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,509,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Great logic.

You just described selective enforcement. Don't know if you were meaning to or not. But that's what I was calling this instance.
So?

Doesn't change the fact that.....
  • Idiot in mass transit lane with posted signs to stay out of lane.
  • Poses danger to himself, and mass transit travelers on bus.
  • Police tells misguided idiot to move.
  • Idiot refuses.
  • Police removes idiot.
  • Idiot foolishly attacks cop.
  • Cops take down idiot without harm.
  • Bunch of Black folks experience false outrage because Idiot is Black. Make every excuse for why cops did wrong.
  • Any other color they wouldn't care.
Nothing more too it than that.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:13 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,011,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Great logic.

A. It doesn't matter if it happens in every city.
- Jaywalking is illegal whether you like it or not
- I didn't jaywalk to catch said bus at a Transit Center that has designated spots to board and unload

B. You always say the cop overreacted
- Its your go to answer for cops but hey you think less serious offenses should be ignored if there is no immediate danger

C. My tone is coming from facts in the news
- Yours on the other hand have been just your opinion

Thanks, I'm glad you liked my logic.

selective enforcement occurs when government officials such as police officers, prosecutors, or regulators exercise enforcement discretion, which is the power to choose whether or how to punish a person who has violated the law

Clearly you needed the definition spelled out for you. That is also not the case. I keep asking for some proof of your logic.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:22 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,100,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dog View Post
A. It doesn't matter if it happens in every city.
- Jaywalking is illegal whether you like it or not
- I didn't jaywalk to catch said bus at a Transit Center that has designated spots to board and unload

B. You always say the cop overreacted
- Its your go to answer for cops but hey you think less serious offenses should be ignored if there is no immediate danger

C. My tone is coming from facts in the news
- Yours on the other hand have been just your opinion

Thanks, I'm glad you liked my logic.

selective enforcement occurs when government officials such as police officers, prosecutors, or regulators exercise enforcement discretion, which is the power to choose whether or how to punish a person who has violated the law

Clearly you needed the definition spelled out for you. That is also not the case. I keep asking for some proof of your logic.
Anybody reading can clearly see that I detailed your exact definition.

I don't know if you realized that.

Who here has said jaywalking is illegal?

Is jaywalking an arrestable offense?

Old 09-21-2015, 05:26 PM

46,217 posts, read 26,980,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Again, I highly recommend the humorous but genuinely serious video by Chris Rock, "How To Not Get Your Ass Kicked by the Police"

In summary of it:

(1) Obey the law …
(2) Use common sense …
(3) Stop immediately …
(4) Be polite …
(5) SHUT the F*CK up ...
WOW....

We agree on this! I was going to post earlier, put I fell out of my chair hit my head because we agree....

I was shocked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.