Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 09:48 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I have personal experiences. Save your hyperbole.
Ever thought you were the 'victim' of your own actions?

Old 09-23-2015, 09:54 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You really think that legislators don't know what's going on right now?

How many laws have you personally successfully gotten changed? What are you doing here posting?
About 5. Two of them major ones. One involved multiple millions of dollars put to much better and efficient use. It's called respectful lobbying... the get in your face stuff doesn't work. It MAY raise an issue, but it will not present the solution.

Rather than complain and whine about 'woe is me', if you see what you think is a real, not perceived, issue, come up with viable and workable solution. Realize that there are more stakeholders involved than just your perspectives, and try and get them on board, or at least understand what their issues are. There are often multiple sides, and don't forget, legislatures need to try and balance all sides when making decisions. It may not go all your way, but I bet you would understand the other sides, and find things to improve.

Confrontation ends in nothing productive.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:03 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Irrelevant. The only thing that matters in these situations are THE FACTS. The video shows only a small subset of the facts.

Speculation is pointless.

Of course facts matter. But all we're doing here is speculating about A LOT.

The point I was making is that if he actually attacked the officer, as in grabbed his baton out of the blue, the reaction would have likely been a lot more severe. Especially as agitated as the officer was for allegedly being told to F off.

And to your point about 'speculation', for all we know the cop could've grabbed the kid and the kid never told him to F off.

But the kid's a thug in some people's minds already. Over jaywalking and being upset about being stopped trying to catch a bus.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:12 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Then contact your legislators. Instead people are blaming all officers for doing their job. Not only that they are cheering and encouraging law breakers to sue the officers, demanding they be fired and playing the race card which is further driving citizens apart. That is not the way to change laws and defend your freedom.
Another way is by working with national groups such as the National Police Accountability Project (National Police Accountability Project | Dedicated to Ending Police Abuse) and the ACLU (https://www.aclu.org/fighting-police...-action-manual). These organizations balance a bit the police unions and provide some lobbying for everyday people.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:28 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Could you have said "teen" beaten by cops, instead of saying "black teen"? The issue is the cop, not skin color! My question is why won't this cop be prosecuted and go to jail? Cops, DA's and Judges can break laws that would send anyone else to jail, but they RARELY do any time. He'll get put on paid administrative leave until this blows over.
Of course it should have been just teen.
But also the beaten could have been left off. Is there any evidence this teen was beaten?

Old 09-23-2015, 11:15 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
[quote=Gtownoe;41305003]
Quote:
You really think that legislators don't know what's going on right now?
What is that. Corruption. There has always been corruption in all professions. Do I think they know some people think jaywalking laws are bogus? No.

Quote:
How many laws have you personally successfully gotten changed? What are you doing here posting?
I'm not the one complaining and blaming the cops for enforcing existing laws. If I have a particular issue I would take it up with the proper persons. Cops are not the ones that enact the laws.

Quote:
Police reform is coming.
There is always room for improvement. There is no doubt all of our governmental departments need to be kept in check. Now if we can start a little idiot reform.

Quote:
You have a handful of posters here, repeatedly defending all cops, and you have a majority of posters that understand the problem, have personal experiences, or know someone who's dealt with it.
And you have those that blame cops for everything and believe they are all abusive, racist and corrupt. I think the majority of people realize there are incidents of true abuse by some officers and want to see that stopped, they also understand officers are not infallible and are indeed human beings just like the rest of us and that the majority of these incidents were the result of some type of criminal activity and stupidity.

Quote:
“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
Ben Franklin

What Our Fore Fathers Thought
With this I agree but show me where blaming the cops for calling you out on violating the law is giving up your liberty. Don't shoot the messenger. If you want change take it to those who can make that happen.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:17 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,594,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Why should he be sanctioned at all? I saw NOTHING in that video that was untoward... in fact, I though the cop restrained himself. The SOC was none compliant. Period. If he had of complied with the lawful orders, no issues would have arisen.
BINGO … !!!

Same thing with the out*of*control (now dead) kid in Ferguson, the dippy guy (now dead) selling tobacco illegally in New York, the mouthy lady (arrested) caught speeding through a school zone, etc. …

So …
Grow up …
Behave properly …
Lose that chip on your shoulder ...

Old 09-23-2015, 11:21 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Prosecuted for what exactly?
Assault, harassment, just being a "legal bully".

Old 09-23-2015, 11:29 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
The officer acted like a jerk, and you know it. Are you a cop, or former cop?

Old 09-23-2015, 11:31 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
there we go debating things again....no debating....a LEO tells you to do something....the only 2 words out of your mouth should be "yes sir/maam" and you follow their rules and OBEY
Um, no. I have rights. If a cop is acting beyond his authority and/or trying to violate my rights, I'm going to resist.

That said, personally, I think all jay-walkers *should* be beaten. Severely. And I don't care what color they might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies