Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 03:12 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
I never made the claim, good grief man you made that claim that black parents are more disciplined with their kids. The discipline issue was the only assertion I made, and I stated that in fact black parents don't discipline their kids more than any other race. They beat their kids more than any other race according to all of the articles I posted.

I never made any such claim that black parents care less than other races.

You're spinning in cirlces here Don Quixote. I'm not the windmill you're looking for.
You just said that black parents beat their kids more. Which is a form of discipline. Whether or not you think it's right or wrong is immaterial. Your own sources stated that they do. Even your initial rebuttal you stated this. So it's clear black parents do discipline their children a lot more frequently, AND a lot more harshly than other races.

But that's the thing, discipline only goes so far. If the parents themselves can't critically evaluate the type of education their kids are receiving, a black parent can be hard on the kids all they want, but the child themselves really isn't learning anything. That's the issue. Uneducated parents will struggle to make sure their kids are educated at all.

Black kids had the same issues in the 30s. Most of their parents weren't even allowed to go to school, so their own parents couldn't really criticize whatever education they received. But the key here is that at the time black students were educated privately. usually by members of the community who cared whether or not these kids excelled.

Actually black kids were actually better off under a segregated school system, and the numbers prove this.

But the problem here isn't really segregation vs integration. It's private vs. public. In private education, people care more. In public education, you're a line on a chart, a mere bulletpoint to get your district budget.

I mean you've already listed a lot of negatives with the black community. Some true, some partially true, some completely just based on media opinion. But we can agree the black community has issues. Tossing their young people into a crappy education system isn't doing them any favors. Whether or not you believe black kids or black parents are to blame, it's clear the current system does not work for black people. So something else needs to be tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 03:18 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I don't doubt your numbers. As a matter of fact, it just proves that black kids shouldn't really use public education. Clearly they can't excel in the system. So I'm not sure what's wrong with just having the option of private school for them. Seems like a win win all the way around. They're not eating budget out of the public school system because they're being educated via private education

What makes you think that kids who are unsuccessful in public school will be successful in private school.

The only thing you've said is that people who enroll their kids in private school "care more". That is likely correct. How will forcing students to enroll in private education make the parents "care more"?

That's just mandatory attendance in a different system.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:32 PM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
I don't doubt your numbers. As a matter of fact, it just proves that black kids shouldn't really use public education. Clearly they can't excel in the system. So I'm not sure what's wrong with just having the option of private school for them. Seems like a win win all the way around. They're not eating budget out of the public school system because they're being educated via private education
What is preventing private education now?

Old 09-21-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What makes you think that kids who are unsuccessful in public school will be successful in private school.

The only thing you've said is that people who enroll their kids in private school "care more". That is likely correct. How will forcing students to enroll in private education make the parents "care more"?

That's just mandatory attendance in a different system.

Educators can try different approaches. And probably deal with students on a more individual basis. Smaller class sizes. And no one size fit all curriculum design. And the main thing a private school lives and dies on its quality of education. So private schools have to be better than a public school alternative to survive.

Again we need new ideas in education. Not regurgitated nonsense we have been trying.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
What is preventing private education now?

Outside of a monopolistic public school system, and the government making it hard to start private schools? Nothing.

The issue now is that because of all of the red tape, it's hard to create a private school without private schools needing to change high tuition to make ends meet. Clearly this doesn't benefit low income students. But I think we can make private schools run lean and make it affordable at the same time.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:40 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times
Quote:
Of course the public schools are to blame. I mean what are they really teaching these days? All educators are pretty much told how they should teach, what they should teach, and hopefully the student catch on. Even if the student really needed to try a different method of teaching for certain students, they probably couldn't. The first reason is that they're forced to teach a certain way, the second reason is that even if they were allowed to, class sizes are way to large to give students individual time.

Also who is "they"?

In either case, mathematics was my favorite topic in school growing up. Do you think math is presented in a way to students to make it at all interesting? Most of my mathematics education came from my teaching myself, not from schools. Because schools don't make topics interesting.

Kids don't really know how what they're being taught is all that interesting, so they just learn about it enough to hopefully pass a class, and forget about it by the next semester.

Blame this on your awesome and flawless public education system.
you have no qualifications to make any of these extremely broad based statements. None whatsoever. So why should anyone take you seriously?? it's silly.

you're asking me who is "they", when you make ridiculously generalized statements

whatever guy

Old 09-21-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
you have no qualifications to make any of these extremely broad based statements. None whatsoever. So why should anyone take you seriously?? it's silly.

you're asking me who is "they", when you make ridiculously generalized statements

whatever guy
Tell me where any of my above statements were wrong.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Tell me where any of my above statements were wrong.
They're YOUR opinions, that's what makes them wrong. Everyone here is disagreeing with you. So unless you're some Education Czar or PhD who's written a peer reviewed dissertation on this topic, you have no credibility or qualifications to speak of.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:51 PM

Mastic Beach is a pretty low income area on Long Island. So this story says that you are in fact wrong. In this instance, with the right parenting, this kid got into all 8 Ivy's

Teen who got into all 8 Ivy League schools makes his choice - CBS News

"Ebenezer Enin said he and his wife have encouraged both of their children to excel in the classroom.

"I believe you can do better than him," he said he told his daughter.

Kwasi Enin scored 2,250 out of 2,400 on his SAT. He was also accepted at Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Princeton and the University of Pennsylvania."

Old 09-21-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
They're YOUR opinions, that's what makes them wrong. Everyone here is disagreeing with you. So unless you're some Education Czar or PhD who's written a peer reviewed dissertation on this topic, you have no credibility or qualifications to speak of.

Does someone really need a PhD to notice that the education system really isn't all that great? Some observations are just common sense.

Look at math education as a perfect example. Did you know that most students have at least taken Trigonometry in high school. But how many could still do trig 10 years later? Actually how many could probably do it a year later?

That shows a fundamental problem with our education. What you learn isn't really meant to be retained. It's just meant to pass a test and pass a class. Most students can't retain 60% of what they learned in school. So there is a clear issue with technique here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies