Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:19 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
We're not talking about drugs or the developement of it.. we're talking about health insurance coverage.that's for another topic.!
No - you said investors should not be involved in "healthcare" - your words.

And, inasmuch as health insurance and prescription medications are intertwined, and often involve the same investors - they are, in fact, one and the same.

So, again, I ask you - should investors be involved in the prescription medications (the companies that develop and manufacture) and medical equipment?

After all - the costs of these items actually impact the cost of your health insurance? Do you realize that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 12:21 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
I do pose one question on this topic though.. what good is all that life saving equipment and medication if the price of all that equipment and medication becomes out of reach financially of the people it's meant to help or save? just so that some investor can be guaranteed a certain amount of return on his investment?

Health insurance, health care is more and more becoming OUT of reach for many many Americans, hence the growing number of uninsured. AND.. you would think with how our country is supposed to be #1 in the world, we would have the BEST healthcare in the world.. BUT we are NOT tops on that list!!!
Are you proposing that the entire healthcare industry - top to bottom, be nationalized and put under government control?

Old 01-31-2008, 12:25 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,008,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No - you said investors should not be involved in "healthcare" - your words.

And, inasmuch as health insurance and prescription medications are intertwined, and often involve the same investors - they are, in fact, one and the same.

So, again, I ask you - should investors be involved in the prescription medications (the companies that develop and manufacture) and medical equipment?

After all - the costs of these items actually impact the cost of your health insurance? Do you realize that?

I guess I hsould have said "health insurance"... my bad.

I realize that.. yes.. but then answer me this.. why can i go over the border to Canada and buy medication at a fraction of the cost!!! Hmm...!!!

And I posted right before you did.. what good is all that medication and life saving stuff if it's financially out of reach of those it's supposed to help.

There is much better systems in place across the rest of the world that we need to examine and take a closer look.. BUT .. it will be hard to get that accomplished.. WHY? As long as some investors are getting RICH off of it and putting politicians in their pocket nothing will change.. because it's all about the MONEY.. and NOT about LIFE for them.. Money is a strange thing and I guess it's so true.. that MONEY is the root of all evil.. and the fat cats of wallstreet will sell their own mothers to the dogs to protect their wealth!!

It's just such a sad state truly!!

I don't have any answers.. but I know we need some.. we're in a tailspin.. as the number of those unable to afford insurance grows daily and the number 1 nation in the world falls down the list of where you can get the best healthcare and our mortality rate dips below that of third world nations!

Maybe I should move to Canada or France..

Old 01-31-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Are you proposing that the entire healthcare industry - top to bottom, be nationalized and put under government control?

I dont' know.. but it certianly shouldn't be in the hands of those who only care about wealth and their bottom line..

Old 01-31-2008, 12:33 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,065 times
Quote:
I don't have any answers
Yet you claim to understand the complexities of our healthcare system insomuch as saying that it should not be run for profit. Your answers are driven by emotion and not intellect... which rarely evolves into meaningful solutions to a problem.

Healthcare is expensive for a number of reasons, not the least of which is regulation. Profit makes the world go round and we can exploit this for the common good if we have a true free market. What we have today is a market controlled by the government and special interests, far from free.

We also have people who don't understand their options for insurance. People who say that there is no affordable healthcare, yet they don't search for it. People who insist that you can not negotiate rates with doctors or providers, but who won't pick up the phone to search for one. People who don't understand the cost vs benefit analysis of full service health insurance versus catastrophic insurance. People who don't know what a FSA is or the benefits and risks associated with them. These are an issue of education, and one would assume that people would seek this knowledge when it directly impacts their life, but often times they don't. It's easier to complain.

Quote:
Maybe I should move to Canada or France..
I agree.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Yet you claim to understand the complexities of our healthcare system insomuch as saying that it should not be run for profit. Your answers are driven by emotion and not intellect... which rarely evolves into meaningful solutions to a problem.

Healthcare is expensive for a number of reasons, not the least of which is regulation. Profit makes the world go round and we can exploit this for the common good if we have a true free market. What we have today is a market controlled by the government and special interests, far from free.

We also have people who don't understand their options for insurance. People who say that there is no affordable healthcare, yet they don't search for it. People who insist that you can not negotiate rates with doctors or providers, but who won't pick up the phone to search for one. People who don't understand the cost vs benefit analysis of full service health insurance versus catastrophic insurance. People who don't know what a FSA is or the benefits and risks associated with them. These are an issue of education, and one would assume that people would seek this knowledge when it directly impacts their life, but often times they don't. It's easier to complain.

I agree.
While I may be operating on emotions.. you are operating on the 'bottom line" and are money driven.. which puts us at two opposite ends of the spectrum...

I was being sarcastic with the move to France or Canada.. I happen to LOVE my country very much.. DESPITE the crappy systems in place in ALOT of areas that need to be changed... my point was France and Canada have a great system in place..

As for shopping around .. I HAVE shopped around.. I understand about catastrophic.. but i'm faced with a life long condition to which I have NO CONTROL and NO HAND in c ontracting.. in otherwords, I'm nota diabetic because i ate one too many Big Macs and only have myself to blame. There is a certain level of coverage i NEED in order to get the meds I need to live a happy and productive life and prevent even further damage to my body that would cost enourmous amounts of money not to mention my life.. like kidnedy disease etc.

I WISH I cuold carry just catastrophich health insurance.. BUT alas, that doesn't work for me.. As iti s we sacrafice my husbands insurance to pay the premium.. AND ironically, I make too much money to qualify for the "affordable" healthcare that is available through many state and government programs (not talking about medicare/medicaid). Although I"m not "rich" by any means.. because the cost of living where I live is so high so while my income is above the national average it doesnt' go very far here.. (I'm working on getting OUT of NY).

The system is whack ALL AROUND!!!!!! It just needs to change. I think it's sad that we are the most powerful country in the world, yet our birth mortality rate is lower than some third world countries.. and that one of the richest (although with our debt we can argue how "rich" we are) a lot of our citizens are DYING Because they are being denied the medical care neccesary to save their life.. AND THESE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE INSURED AND PAYING THEIR PREMIUMS BUT THE GREEDY PROFIT DRIVEN INSURANCE COMPANY DOESNT WANT TO PAY FOR THE PROCEDURE THEY NEED... SO THEY DENY THE CLAIM!! But they wouldn't deny that premium check coming into their accounts now would they!

I'm not going to argue this point anymore.. I've made my point already.. and you'l just argue more about money money busines business.. which is exaclty my point to begin with. That and I don't want to get a headache from getting all worked up over this issue anymore..lest i need to go to t he Dr. and have my blood pressure taken!!!

Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,593 times
everyone is always against the government involvement.. the reality is.. the government is already involved in the health care industry.. in fact the amount being paid on behalf of government funding is astonishing... yet there is nothing done to change the way that it operates... where it continues to get more expensive... it gets more expensive for those of us with our own insurance or lack of.... as well as more and more of our tax dollars go towards paying the medical bills of the elderly on social security and medicare...
I think that socialized healthcare is our only option to solve the root of the problem..
the problem is... healthcare is not a priveledge its a right... and if you make people pay for it out of their own pockets based on their performance in the marketplace.. then you indeed are making it a priveledge according to how well you can cash out in the economy either by wages or investments...
I don't think socializing healthcare should be the ends all though... allow for a private sector to exist.. if people think its better and want to pay for it.. then more power to em.. but all the money that already goes to the private sector by way of medicare and social security could stay within a socialized system.. and leave the private sector out in the dark and let it do its own funding and survival techniques...
a socialized system is better than no system... and for many americans they feel like they have no system at all.. because they just don't have access to affordable insurance...

Old 01-31-2008, 01:31 PM

Thumbs up Thank you.. a great post

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
everyone is always against the government involvement.. the reality is.. the government is already involved in the health care industry.. in fact the amount being paid on behalf of government funding is astonishing... yet there is nothing done to change the way that it operates... where it continues to get more expensive... it gets more expensive for those of us with our own insurance or lack of.... as well as more and more of our tax dollars go towards paying the medical bills of the elderly on social security and medicare...
I think that socialized healthcare is our only option to solve the root of the problem..
the problem is... healthcare is not a priveledge its a right... and if you make people pay for it out of their own pockets based on their performance in the marketplace.. then you indeed are making it a priveledge according to how well you can cash out in the economy either by wages or investments...
I don't think socializing healthcare should be the ends all though... allow for a private sector to exist.. if people think its better and want to pay for it.. then more power to em.. but all the money that already goes to the private sector by way of medicare and social security could stay within a socialized system.. and leave the private sector out in the dark and let it do its own funding and survival techniques...
a socialized system is better than no system... and for many americans they feel like they have no system at all.. because they just don't have access to affordable insurance...
Thank you .. well said

Old 01-31-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
healthcare is not a priveledge its a right...
It's not a right... point to a right that one must use force to take from one to give to another to fulfil.

You should have the right to provide yourself with healthcare... I make no argument about that. You should be able to produce any medicine that you feel is necessary, and consume any product which you feel is necessary, without any intervention.

But your rights end when you take away mine to give them to another.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I was being sarcastic with the move to France or Canada.. I happen to LOVE my country very much.. DESPITE the crappy systems in place in ALOT of areas that need to be changed... my point was France and Canada have a great system in place..
Then move... this country was not founded upon principles of taking care of people from cradle to grave. If you would be much happier under a system that does, by all means move to a country with that system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies