Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 11:23 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Then you could say the Pope supports gay marriage, but we are talking about civil unions, not performed by the church, with the end of obtaining equal rights, and a greater opportunity for the couple to sustain themselves economically.
No. A shoulder shrug and a "not my business" is not "support."

Old 09-25-2015, 11:24 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the pope claims he is not a liberal, and yet he constantly makes statements to the contrary. he is constantly pushing liberal causes. only judging a man by his words and deeds.
Thanks for clarifying that non-liberals have no interest in helping the poor.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:26 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
And leftists and Dems, including in here, as well as a lot of the media are cherry-picking and even sometimes distorting what he says. Using it to throw against those they disagree with politically. It's disingenuous. Stop pretending like it's just one side getting involved. That's exactly my point.
You made a claim, now prove it...where has the "liberal media" cherry picked and distorted what the Pope said? I don't see it. What I do see is some conservative heads exploding:
A "Marxist" Who Should "Stay Home": The Worst Of Conservative Media's War On Pope Francis | Research | Media Matters for America
Conservatives Trash The Pope After His Speech To Congress | Crooks and Liars
Conservative Anxieties: Pope Francis and the De-Americanization of Catholicism – Opinion – ABC Religion & Ethics (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Old 09-25-2015, 11:28 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Thanks for clarifying that non-liberals have no interest in helping the poor.
Most conservative solutions for poverty involve letting churches help the poor and lots of "It's your own fault" and "pull yourself up by your bootstrap" admonitions.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:43 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The Pope Will Regret Coming to the United States

Why? Because of opportunistic Democrats.
He seems to be having a good time to me.

Nice try at spin, though. E for Effort. You just need to practice it even more (which I know you definitely will), and maybe some day, when you get your BiG Boy pants, the cool kids will let you play with them.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:47 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No. A shoulder shrug and a "not my business" is not "support."
Its ironic because if I took the same attitude, according to you which that's not the way I interpret it, but anyhow if I had the same attitude meaning not my business, which a lot of Americans have towards gay marriage, I would 100% be called all kinds of "*******s" and be accused of supporting it.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:03 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Its ironic because if I took the same attitude, according to you which that's not the way I interpret it, but anyhow if I had the same attitude meaning not my business, which a lot of Americans have towards gay marriage, I would 100% be called all kinds of "*******s" and be accused of supporting it.
No, even with that example, you see the difference between opinion polls (showing majority so-called "support") and actual ballot results (where all those "supporters" fail to show up). Real "support" would mean, at least, showing up to vote.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:20 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think it stands without reason that there's a difference between a conservative (the pope) and a reactionary (the OP). Reactionaries favor turning the clock back on society and favor more Libertarian ideology when it comes to the economy. Conservatives maintain the status quo, progressives want to move the status quo forward, reactionaries backwards.
I'v always believed it to be like a dog (democrats) tied to a rock (Republicans) with a rabbit 10 feet to his left, a cat 10 feet up front, and a bird to his right(the 3 animals represent different issues facing major segments or even USA society). He wants to go after all three, but it is impractical to do so (lack of enough money), since he can never get three. So he has to pick an animal and focus all his resources after that one animal, and by doing so, he has to drag the intransigent rock after him.

It takes a log time to get there, but eventual we as a country move forward. I think that balance is what has made this country such a success. The danger occurs when that balance is disturbed (polarization, the extreme wings of both parties) as if they jump in and make one side or the other unequally strong, one party trying to drag the rock back to a time that never was, the other grabbing the rope and start pulling him towards the cat, the rope snapping, US society gets shredded, and the cat runs away. Nothing accomplished, and all is lost.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:10 PM

768 posts, read 718,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I'v always believed it to be like a dog (democrats) tied to a rock (Republicans) with a rabbit 10 feet to his left, a cat 10 feet up front, and a bird to his right(the 3 animals represent different issues facing major segments or even USA society). He wants to go after all three, but it is impractical to do so (lack of enough money), since he can never get three. So he has to pick an animal and focus all his resources after that one animal, and by doing so, he has to drag the intransigent rock after him.

It takes a log time to get there, but eventual we as a country move forward. I think that balance is what has made this country such a success. The danger occurs when that balance is disturbed (polarization, the extreme wings of both parties) as if they jump in and make one side or the other unequally strong, one party trying to drag the rock back to a time that never was, the other grabbing the rope and start pulling him towards the cat, the rope snapping, US society gets shredded, and the cat runs away. Nothing accomplished, and all is lost.
Interesting analogy, Some flaws though. But I suppose it depends on what one sees as backwards & what one sees as forward.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:21 PM

934 posts, read 595,497 times
So not only can u read the popes mind but u can also see into the future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies