Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 10:31 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,059 times

Advertisements

It seems like they bring the "political correctness" argument into everything. If they're not whining that something somebody else said or did is "politically correct" then they're defending something offensive or stupid that they said or did with "I wasn't being politically correct". I have felt for a while now that to the right political correctness has become a go to argument that they trot out when they can't come up with a real one. Two from the Trump candidacy really stand out to me. The first being Trump's excuse that he insults women because he "doesn't have time to be politically correct" How the hell do you "not have time" to not insult people? The other was when his Iowa Co Chair, Tana Goertz, was on The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell and she said of John McCain took "the politically correct" route when he said that Obama isn't an Arab. So now it's "politically correct" to say that a person who isn't an Arab isn't an Arab??????????????????????????????????

Old 09-23-2015, 10:36 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
And yet they're the first to throw a tantrum when somebody disagrees with their talk-radio ideology.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:59 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
It seems like they bring the "political correctness" argument into everything. If they're not whining that something somebody else said or did is "politically correct" then they're defending something offensive or stupid that they said or did with "I wasn't being politically correct". I have felt for a while now that to the right political correctness has become a go to argument that they trot out when they can't come up with a real one. Two from the Trump candidacy really stand out to me. The first being Trump's excuse that he insults women because he "doesn't have time to be politically correct" How the hell do you "not have time" to not insult people? The other was when his Iowa Co Chair, Tana Goertz, was on The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell and she said of John McCain took "the politically correct" route when he said that Obama isn't an Arab. So now it's "politically correct" to say that a person who isn't an Arab isn't an Arab??????????????????????????????????

Political correctness is the idea that some opinions are not just different, unpopular or even unpalatable but also wrong in all cases.

The irony is that you claim conservatives use political correctness as a convenient escape hatch to avoid defending a position that you allege cannot defended when it is political correctness itself that deems certain opinions inherently wrong and therefore indefensible.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:00 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
They don't care about anyone's feelings or opinions but their own.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:04 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
It seems everyone has lost their balls and their skin has thinned out a bit. "Political correctness" is a joke which is destroying this country and can have some dire consequences if it continues to grow.

Personally, I go by the first amendment and say what I feel. If it offends someone, I really don't care! Grow a set!

Old 09-23-2015, 11:04 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Political correctness is the idea that some opinions are not just different, unpopular or even unpalatable but also wrong in all cases.
The biggest problem is that some views are made unspeakable. Being right is often no defense if you've said something politically incorrect.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:17 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
It seems everyone has lost their balls and their skin has thinned out a bit. "Political correctness" is a joke which is destroying this country and can have some dire consequences if it continues to grow.

Personally, I go by the first amendment and say what I feel. If it offends someone, I really don't care! Grow a set!
How exactly is it destroying this country? Because it's no longer acceptable to call black people offensive names? Because it isn't appropriate to use terms like "towel head" "sand ni---r" "fa--ot" "slanty eyed *****" "tranny" anymore? Somehow people needing to stop and think about the words that come out of their mouths rather than just spew their vile everywhere is somehow destroying the country?

Old 09-23-2015, 11:21 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The biggest problem is that some views are made unspeakable. Being right is often no defense if you've said something politically incorrect.

Andrew Klavan addressed this issue a few years back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWHgUE9AD4s

Old 09-23-2015, 11:32 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
How exactly is it destroying this country? Because it's no longer acceptable to call black people offensive names? Because it isn't appropriate to use terms like "towel head" "sand ni---r" "fa--ot" "slanty eyed *****" "tranny" anymore? Somehow people needing to stop and think about the words that come out of their mouths rather than just spew their vile everywhere is somehow destroying the country?
Just wait untill another terrorist attack takes place because we couldn't stop it because of political correctness. You know, cant take the towel off someones head at the airport to check for a bomb but they'll do a complete search of the next person who doesn't fit any profile at all just to apease the person who has that textbook terrorist look in the name of political correctness.

Can't ask for identification so illegal alians keep pouring over our border and taking our jobs.

Can't detain illegal alians so they are released to do more crimes. Afterall, they have all commited at least one!

When a crime takes place, people are afraid (because they want to be politically correct) to describe the suspect by color, unless of course he is white. Come on now. beard, bald, blue shirt, jeans, 6ft, Um, yep! That's it, If he was black say he is frigin BLACK. Asian? Say asian, Chinese, whatever. Describe the POS so he can get caught. And yes, if white, say he's frigin white. Help the police out before he robs, kills, attacks someone else.

I can go on and on and on. It's redcicules.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:37 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Because it is intrusive and it is forced onto other people. Instead of getting into the heart of the matter people have to make a little disclaimer least someone misunderstand what is being said and completely derails the conversation.

It also gets into some really weird territory like having to point out that just because someone identifies as the opposite gender; that they are still biologically the sex they were born with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies