Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 11:21 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times

Advertisements

When the Pope pushes a "moral obligation" backed by religion, it makes hypocrites out of every living, breathing supportive Democrat and liberal in America:

1) Keep Kim Davis's religious views out of government!
2) Take the Pope's religious views on American social policy and incorporate them into government law and regulation!

Both of which affect American's, but only one of which liberals support!

The hypocrisy is downright disgusting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 11:24 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times

Old 09-24-2015, 11:33 AM

Is that supposed to mean something? I'm not familiar.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:36 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,071,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
When the Pope pushes a "moral obligation" backed by religion, it makes hypocrites out of every living, breathing supportive Democrat and liberal in America:

2) Take the Pope's religious views on American social policy and incorporate them into government law and regulation!

Here's the difference, AeroGuy, though I have to say it's kind of sad that something so elementary has to be explained to you.

Kim Davis, when she is doing her job, represents the U.S. government. That means that she must adhere to the laws of the government she represents and not to her own personal religious views.

The Pope represents the Catholic Church, who, the last time I checked, has no power in the U.S. government to create laws.

Now maybe there are some Democrats who agree with his words and would like to implement some of those ideas into laws, but that's no different than the Republicans wanting to incorporate Netanyahu's beliefs into laws or policies as well.

Two different heads of state stated their personal beliefs to Congress, but you only seem upset about one of them. Why is that?

Old 09-24-2015, 11:38 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
You just had a thread on this topic and got defeated. I hate to see you go 0-2 but...

Here's the difference: Kim Davis is directly breaking the law and violating her obligation under it as a government employee.

The Pope is a visiting non-citizen making general suggestions to improve society and our nation, the implementation of which does not inherently violate the law.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
You should have left Davis out of the discussion. The hypocrisy argument could have been made without her in it.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Here's the difference, AeroGuy, though I have to say it's kind of sad that something so elementary has to be explained to you.

Kim Davis, when she is doing her job, represents the U.S. government. That means that she must adhere to the laws of the government she represents and not to her own personal religious views.

The Pope represents the Catholic Church, who, the last time I checked, has no power in the U.S. government to create laws.

Now maybe there are some Democrats who agree with his words and would like to implement some of those ideas into laws, but that's no different than the Republicans wanting to incorporate Netanyahu's beliefs into laws or policies as well.

Two different heads of state stated their personal beliefs to Congress, but you only seem upset about one of them. Why is that?
1) She did not, never has, and probably never will "represent the US government." She's a county-level clerk. The USG had no bearing whatsoever on state-level marriage licenses.

2) No one, especially me, asserted that the Pope "creates laws." Your strawman is dead on arrival.

If this is your very best, then you should be very, very embarrassed.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:40 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:

Funny that you should point that out. I made the same observation in one of my recent posts.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You should have left Davis out of the discussion. The hypocrisy argument could have been made without her in it.
I agree. But feel free to elaborate on your position.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:42 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
1) She did not, never has, and probably never will "represent the US government." She's a county-level clerk. The USG had no bearing whatsoever on state-level marriage licenses.

2) No one, especially me, asserted that the Pope "creates laws." Your strawman is dead on arrival.

If this is your very best, then you should be very, very embarrassed.
Counties are part of the U.S. and beholden to its laws.

You seem very angry that people have strong moral foundations without agreeing with you.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-24-2015 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: personal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies