Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 09:20 PM

26,785 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because it was seen as discriminatory to minorities.
The switchover started in the 80's.

A Nation at Risk called for K-12 reform:
Archived: Table of Contents
Ohh... Thanks for the information)))
I always thought that negative changes started happening earlier - in the seventies, and in fact I see the proof of it right here;

"By content we mean the very "stuff" of education, the curriculum. Because of our concern about the curriculum, the Commission examined patterns of courses high school students took in 1964-69 compared with course patterns in 1976-81. On the basis of these analyses we conclude:
Secondary school curricula have been homogenized, diluted, and diffused to the point that they no longer have a central purpose. In effect, we have a cafeteria style curriculum in which the appetizers and desserts can easily be mistaken for the main courses. Students have migrated from vocational and college preparatory programs to "general track" courses in large numbers. The proportion of students taking a general program of study has increased from 12 percent in 1964 to 42 percent in 1979."

So I assume that they wanted to change somehow this "homogenized and diluted curricula" ( that became "diluted and diffused" comparably to the sixties,) yet I'm pretty sure this hasn't been fixed - it remains the same ( if not worse) in nowadays as well. (But I have to read more of this information of course, to make sure that I understand it correctly.)
The question that I have for you though, is what exactly has been regarded as discriminatory to minorities? This separation of vacation and academic tracks? Because the minorities were taking the former in High school for the most part? ( I am kinda assuming that it was a case..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 10:34 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
SAHM means Stay. At. Home. Mom. If mom is working, she is not a SAHM. It doesn't mean part time stay at home mom. She's a working mom. I'm sure you think it's splitting hairs, but I believe in being accurate.

As for your pre-judging the guy, my only suggestion is to maybe not pre-judge poor folks so much. We're not all criminals, believe it or not.
Ok. I'll give you the SAHM thing.

She just RECENTLY got a job - so she's been a SAHM for a few years and now has a job b/c he told her that he wasn't going to support her, the kid from another man (that she doesn't get child support from), himself and this new baby they stupidly made together.

You can't help but to "pre-judge", I prefer to call it EXPERIENCE, when over the course of 20 years not ONE has given you a reason to think their story is going to end up any differently than their predecessors.

I was hoping this one wouldn't.

Oh well!

I know how it's going to go from here on out.

I can't fix stupid. And I'm done losing sleep, going out of my way, taking time away from my kids and family to help. It's all ends up the same.

It's like the movie Groundhog Day. Just with different players.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:36 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors him.

Proverbs 14:31
"It's better to teach a man to fish, than to give him a fish" - Jesus

Welfare has become a form of oppression. It keeps the poor within a certain window of poverty, under the guise of helping by barely sustaining them. A monthly check in exchange for a vote.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:02 PM

26,785 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Welfare has become a form of oppression. It keeps the poor within a certain window of poverty, under the guise of helping by barely sustaining them. A monthly check in exchange for a vote.

"Capitalism as they present it to us;
"It's better to teach a man to fish, than to give him a fish"
Capitalism as it really is;
Don't give man a fishing pole, but sell it to him on credit, without letting man know that he won't have either access to the river, or the permit to fish, because both the river and the fish belong to the same people, whom he owes now for the fishing pole as well. "

There are reasons you see, why people are better off being "oppressed" by welfare check than seeking that "fishing pole" sometimes.

Last edited by erasure; 09-27-2015 at 11:18 PM..

Old 09-27-2015, 11:19 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,256,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But K-12 pushes college, not trades.
Everyone is put on an academic track whether they have the ability to do that or not.
From about 5th grade on all you hear about in school is that without college you're nothing.
Unless one has a learning disability that hasn't been addressed, is there a reason that one shouldn't "hear" about how going to college is their best bet?

"I don't like school" is ridiculous excuse. Who LIKES the work one has to do while in school?

Who likes "work" after school days are over? It's called "work" for a reason and not everyone can't wait to get to their job in the morning.

There are trade schools to go to after HS & there are tech schools to go to while in HS.

It's not a secret.

If everyone only did what they really liked to do every day? The US would be a 3rd world country.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:05 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

The bible also stated (john 12:8) that you will always have the poor among you. Not everybody can be rich or wealthy.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:29 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballdude39 View Post
35% of people are on welfare in the US, if not just food stamps.

There are 6 million listed job openings in the US, but 120 million people without jobs. (and of those 6 million, many are not expected to be filled. They have ridic requirements like "looking for Bill Gates to work for $1 a year and save my drowning company")

I think I read a statistic that said the rate is 80% chance for you to be on welfare at some point in your life, if not just unemployment.

So.. that hot girl at the cash register? Probably on food stamps.

1. Americans will not work at certain jobs (they used to, prior to the Johnson admin).

2. There are many, many jobs that cannot be filled due to lack of interest or training

3. Gee............ I thought Obama said the unemployment rate was 5.1%. How on earth could there be 120 million people without jobs? (The real number is 94 million unemployed with 96 million employed- the lowest workforce participation rate since the Great Depression).

4. I thought the Obama economy was GREAT! Why are there so many people on foodstamps?

5. I have never been on government assistence and have no friends or relatives who have been on government assistence (with the exception of those retired on social security and medicare).

Old 09-28-2015, 06:30 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballdude39 View Post
35% of people are on welfare in the US, if not just food stamps.

There are 6 million listed job openings in the US, but 120 million people without jobs. (and of those 6 million, many are not expected to be filled. They have ridic requirements like "looking for Bill Gates to work for $1 a year and save my drowning company")

I think I read a statistic that said the rate is 80% chance for you to be on welfare at some point in your life, if not just unemployment.

So.. that hot girl at the cash register? Probably on food stamps.
That was a great "Fundamental Change" by Barry, huh?

Old 09-28-2015, 06:34 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,250,687 times

Old 09-28-2015, 06:34 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
Stop welfare and the refusal to work will disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies