Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 10:02 AM

188 posts, read 193,007 times

Advertisements

35% of people are on welfare in the US, if not just food stamps.

There are 6 million listed job openings in the US, but 120 million people without jobs. (and of those 6 million, many are not expected to be filled. They have ridic requirements like "looking for Bill Gates to work for $1 a year and save my drowning company")

I think I read a statistic that said the rate is 80% chance for you to be on welfare at some point in your life, if not just unemployment.

So.. that hot girl at the cash register? Probably on food stamps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 10:08 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,441,195 times
Welcome to Obama's America

Old 09-25-2015, 10:16 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,107,899 times
Have a read:

Quote:
About 51% of immigrant-led households receive at least one kind of welfare benefit, including Medicaid, food stamps, school lunches and housing assistance, compared to 30% for native-led households, according to the report from the Center for Immigration Studies, a group that advocates for lower levels of immigration.
Report: More than half of immigrants on welfare

Understand that "immigrant" doesn't mean legal. The majority are illegals who feed off the benefits of their American born children.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:18 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,093,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Welcome to Obama's America
To be fair, it's equally both the Republicans, and Democrats fault. Welcome to the Global Economy, where Americans get to be as poor as the rest of the world. There's ultra rich that need even more money, so quit complaining, and work more hours for a salary that isn't keeping pace with inflation.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:22 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,780 times
So why is it my responsibility to take care of these people?

Old 09-25-2015, 10:24 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballdude39 View Post

There are 6 million listed job openings in the US, but 120 million people without jobs. (and of those 6 million, many are not expected to be filled. They have ridic requirements like "looking for Bill Gates to work for $1 a year and save my drowning company")

I think I read a statistic that said the rate is 80% chance for you to be on welfare at some point in your life, if not just unemployment.

The requirements for welfare are stringent? You'd have to be a true deadbeat to get it, that doesn't say much about the 35% of Americans on welfare.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:30 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,093,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
So why is it my responsibility to take care of these people?
Off the top of my head, I would say it's because it's better than having hoards of zombies roaming the land eating people's brains.

You should ask the ultra rich that question, they are the one's benefiting from the policies that are lower the opportunities, and wages of Americans, while asking you to foot the bill for the lost wages of the people they put out of work.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:31 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,049,454 times
There certainly are people on welfare that really need the help and I'm all for that. The thing that bothers me is when 3-4-5 generations of a family are on public assistance for their entire life and never try to lift themselves out of it. I know it's not easy with the economy in the state it's in, but to keep having children to get more dollars is just plain wrong. I recently was behind a young couple in the grocery store (20's, 2 kids) and while the woman was using food stamps to pay for the food, the husband/boyfriend was putting dollar after dollar in the lotto machine.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:41 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,204,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
To be fair, it's equally both the Republicans, and Democrats fault. Welcome to the Global Economy, where Americans get to be as poor as the rest of the world. There's ultra rich that need even more money, so quit complaining, and work more hours for a salary that isn't keeping pace with inflation.
At first I thought it read "slavery" instead of "salary". Was getting pumped up, then disappointed.

With that said, you've made good observations here my friend. But do you have a "reasonable solution" to the problem? And if what you are saying is true, how did it happen? Why does it continue?

Quote:

The problem with talking about welfare, is that there are multiple types of people who are on welfare.

1) People who from largely unforeseeable circumstances, have fallen into hard times, and need "temporary help".
2) Single working parents, or low-skilled laborers, who live in areas with overpriced real-estate and high costs of living, and where wages are insufficient.
3) People who believe the government owes them something, and who make no efforts to improve their circumstances.
4) Druggies and other degenerates, who use the welfare system, simply because its there. These people commit fraud, sell their food stamps(SNAP). You can even take your food pantry canned goods, and sell them for like 50 cents on the dollar in some places.

Those who are advocates for welfare, like to hold up types 1 and 2 when they argue for the necessity of the welfare system. Those who are critical of the welfare system, will focus only on types 3 and 4.

It is difficult to know what fraction of the welfare system makes up each type. But in my own experience, there are very few type 1's. In the case of the other types, they tend to blend together. You can be both low-skilled, and a druggie that sells their food-stamps, and feel justified in it because you think the government owes you something.

Thus, the real evil of the welfare system, isn't related to its prevalence of use, or its cost. The real evil comes about in how its existence changes the psychology of the people in this country. For the most part, the arguments we have about the welfare system, tends to be less focused around a general need for Americans to "help each other", and tends to be more about how "the rich owe something to the poor"(there is a thread in this forum about it right now).

From the perspective of the poor, this removes their guilt when they take advantage of the system. Instead of perceiving it as temporary help(which comes with a stigma). They begin to believe that they are entitled to it, that they are the ones being taken advantage of, and thus they can be proud to show off their "free money" and "free stuff", as if they actually earned it.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:47 PM

37,960 posts, read 22,137,721 times
Quote:

Straw man argument, you just manufacture some fictitious "people who hate welfare recipients," and start a thread to beat the living snot out of them.

Who the hell hates a person just because they are down on their luck and find themselves forced to avail themselves of some help? The entire purpose behind these programs is to help people who need some help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies