Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 11:59 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,253,304 times

Advertisements

"Darwin took us forward to a hilltop from where we could look back and see the way from which we came, but for this insight, and for this knowledge, we must abandon our faith in the pleasant poetry of Genesis." From "Inherit The Wind".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 05:55 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,309,882 times
Well...since Darwin believed in the survival of the fittest and women statistically outlive men, his own theory disproves his assertion that women are inferior. Just a very bigoted scientist from an outdated time.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:21 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Just wondering from a scientific and evolutionary perspective what feminists think of Darwin's theories regarding women. Do you think evolution will prove him wrong and many of his findings will be found to be erroneous possibly?

Here is an article to ponder over,
Thanks for your thoughts Have a nice day

Darwin's Teaching of Women's Inferiority | The Institute for Creation Research

1. It's a theory

2. It is the personal viewpoint of a male from the Victorian era

3. IQ tests do not support this supposition

4. Someone has to take care of children- that does not make them inferior

5. The "theory" was written by a male

6. Darwin's theory, if taken scientifically, applies to breeding, not cultural aspects of a species

Old 09-28-2015, 07:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Creationist cults tend to confuse social beliefs of the past with scientific evidence.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:29 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So, you are a creationist.....That certainly explains a lot.
I will believe in evolution when the scientists actually come up with some plausible evidence of evolution. Their theory is so full of holes it could be swiss cheese. They make more guesses and jumps to conclusions than Vegas odd makers.

And if evolution is ever proven 100%, it still makes no difference to my creation beliefs. God did create man and gave us souls and dominion over animals and the Earth.

I've read that Humans have remained physically unchanged for 10,000+ years. The only difference in size due to diet. So what, is evolution on holiday? According to some of these hair brained evolution theories the changes happened in some cases fairly quickly.

The ONLY evolution that has happened to Humans was the gift of the teachings of Moses and Jesus and the technology we have invented our selves and transformed our own societies.

Since you are attacking me personally I'll say this about YOU. YOU seem to attack the intelligence of people who you don't agree with. To me that is the ultimate ignorance.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:34 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Just wondering from a scientific and evolutionary perspective what feminists think of Darwin's theories regarding women. Do you think evolution will prove him wrong and many of his findings will be found to be erroneous possibly?

Here is an article to ponder over,
Thanks for your thoughts Have a nice day

Darwin's Teaching of Women's Inferiority | The Institute for Creation Research
You have a painting of Noah herding animals into the ark on a dinosaur in your living room don't you?

Old 09-28-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I will believe in evolution when the scientists actually come up with some plausible evidence of evolution. Their theory is so full of holes it could be swiss cheese. They make more guesses and jumps to conclusions than Vegas odd makers.

And if evolution is ever proven 100%, it still makes no difference to my creation beliefs. God did create man and gave us souls and dominion over animals and the Earth.

I've read that Humans have remained physically unchanged for 10,000+ years. The only difference in size due to diet. So what, is evolution on holiday? According to some of these hair brained evolution theories the changes happened in some cases fairly quickly.

The ONLY evolution that has happened to Humans was the gift of the teachings of Moses and Jesus and the technology we have invented our selves and transformed our own societies.

Since you are attacking me personally I'll say this about YOU. YOU seem to attack the intelligence of people who you don't agree with. To me that is the ultimate ignorance.
I personally don't feel that creationism is at odds with evolution.

All it takes is that you don't take everything so literally from a bible that has gone through numerous language translations and "adjustments" over the years.

To a timeless, omnipotent being... 7 days can be *anything*.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:39 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You have a painting of Noah herding animals into the ark on a dinosaur in your living room don't you?
I always get a kick out of people who consider themselves intelligent but they have no wisdom...and how they mock religion.

You have no idea but you are here making yourself look foolish.

We get it, math is your religion. But to the creator, your math is a joke. Your mind is as simple as tic tac toe.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
I always get a kick out of people who consider themselves intelligent but they have no wisdom...and how they mock religion.

You have no idea but you are here making yourself look foolish.

We get it, math is your religion. But to the creator, your math is a joke. Your mind is as simple as tic tac toe.
I'm not mocking religion, I'm mocking you.

Maybe if you didn't have so much hubris you'd realize that god is the only infallible one in your relationship with him.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:10 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Well...since Darwin believed in the survival of the fittest and women statistically outlive men, his own theory disproves his assertion that women are inferior.
Well... Darwin didn't coin the term "survival of the fittest", that was Spencer. (Darwin had a sharp mind and a genius for observation, but his prose is ridiculously long-winded. A neat phrase like that is most unlike him.) And it's not something you "believe" in, it's observed. Inherited characteristics influence your likelihood of surviving long enough to reproduce, that's it. It's an observation. In fact, surviving beyond the time when your offspring can manage on its own is a nice benefit, but almost irrelevant in evolutionary terms. (Well, if you form social groups, perhaps not. Interesting, innit?) Incidentally, women living longer on average is a recent thing. Childbirth used to be a dangerous undertaking and millions of women perished at a young age.

Quote:
Just a very bigoted scientist from an outdated time.
For his time, he was quite the iconoclast. Darwin hated slavery, for instance - and as you may recall, that was not exactly settled in the mid-1800s.

And again, he might have been the most bigoted person to ever walk the Earth, and evolution still takes place.

Quote:
I've read that Humans have remained physically unchanged for 10,000+ years. The only difference in size due to diet. So what, is evolution on holiday?
There has't been a lot of evolutionary pressure on humans. Once something works in its niche, evolution does in fact take a holiday. Of course, we're unique in that we can deliberately change our niche. (The fact that we're busy destroying it is another matter.)

Quote:
According to some of these hair brained evolution theories the changes happened in some cases fairly quickly.
In evolutionary terms, for long-lived animals like humans, 10,000 years is a blink of an eye. But of course, you avoided putting a number on "fairly quickly".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies