Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 09:43 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,522,995 times

Advertisements

It's a good idea.

Welfare is taxpayer money and taxpayers have a right to know where it's going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 09:44 PM

30,226 posts, read 23,643,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
So you are equating poor people with criminals?

(There is no shame attached with receiving a pension, so that, IMO, is not a valid comparison.)
I haven't seen a leap like that in a few weeks here on CD. Where the heck did you get that I equated them with criminals. Please, find in my post what "said" that to you.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:49 PM

26,732 posts, read 22,400,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I haven't seen a leap like that in a few weeks here on CD. Where the heck did you get that I equated them with criminals. Please, find in my post what "said" that to you.
If these people on welfare are not regarded as criminals, what are the other reasons to make their names public?

Old 09-25-2015, 09:50 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,457,919 times
And what would one be able to do with knowing the names and/or addresses of people who receive 'whatever' kind of check?
Why would they want to know the names of those who receive such funds?
If you went to a website and found a list of these names, what would you do with that information?
This speaks more to the character of the person seeking such information than anyone receiving such funds.
The only benefit I could see in this is that anyone planning to steal a check that is regularly scheduled to appear in the mailbox of the intended recipient would really find this convenient.
Should all people who receive a 'check' have it publicized? Say, Social Security?
OMG, who has this much time on their hands to search the web for people who are receiving checks for whatever fund they have been found eligible for?

IMHO

Old 09-25-2015, 09:52 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,797,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
If these people on welfare are not regarded as criminals, what are the other reasons to make their names to be public?
The same reason that all government spending/contracts is made public. The government, in theory at least, is still held accountable to the people and the people have the right to know how their tax dollars are being spent. Just like how every contract the government signs is public record and every government agencies budget is public record and every public employees pay and address is public record. Being a direct beneficiary of tax dollars does make you exempt from these across the board standards.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
If these people on welfare are not regarded as criminals, what are the other reasons to make their names public?
As another pointed out, and as it is for pensioners: When there's money being handed out from the government, (ie: taxpayers), shouldn't taxpayers have the right to know where that money is going?

If you all want to equate welfare recipients to criminals, knock yourselves out. I never stated that, nor did I ever imply it.

In case you failed to read what I posted TWICE now, I'm still torn on this, but I do think it's a good point that taxpayers should know where their money is going.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:59 PM

31,955 posts, read 14,955,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The same reason that all government spending/contracts is made public. The government, in theory at least, is still held accountable to the people and the people have the right to know how their tax dollars are being spent. Just like how every contract the government signs is public record and every government agencies budget is public record and every public employees pay and address is public record. Being a direct beneficiary of tax dollars does make you exempt from these across the board standards.
Yes of course we do. But it doesn't mean we have to know the name of every individual who receives it. How would that help you in any way. It doesn't.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:04 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,797,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Yes of course we do. But it doesn't mean we have to know the name of every individual who receives it. How would that help you in any way. It doesn't.
The point is to have an open and transparent government that is held accountable. I know it is hard to imagine because the last 6 years have been mostly cloaked in secrecy.

Every time the government writes a check the people have a right to know who it is going to and for what purpose. Period.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:07 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,422,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You bring up another good point. Pensioners have their names posted, people who don't pay taxes have their names posted...is there a reason not to post welfare recipients names?
The bolded, right there, is where you compared this to people who are doing something illegal. Your words, no leap necessary.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
The bolded, right there, is where you compared this to people who are doing something illegal. Your words, no leap necessary.
And people who own guns have their names posted. Do you think that means I equate them to criminals?

And people who get pensions have their names posted. Do you think that means I equate them to criminals?

That was ONE example of people who have their names posted, and instead of actually discussing the subject of "mayor wants to post names and addresses of welfare recipients" you chose instead to deflect and pretend that I ever said welfare recipients were criminals. I did nothing of the sort, nor did I ever imply it.

Again, do you, or do you not, think it's okay to post the names and addresses of welfare recipients? If not, why not?

Please stay on topic and keep your false accusations out of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies