Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 07:06 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times

Advertisements

In Kind and LIGHTLY meant:

All the countries of the earth to implode themselves - start all over again to like Adam and Eve times.

All else = useless imho as "we" as a human race suck.

Too much greed (remember Gordon Gekko) and all the rest of the negative attributes will always corrupt an otherwise thought to be good idea or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 07:17 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
We're waiting for the ocean to rise and swallow the east coast before we do anything....

Old 09-26-2015, 10:23 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
In Kind and LIGHTLY meant:

All the countries of the earth to implode themselves - start all over again to like Adam and Eve times.

All else = useless imho as "we" as a human race suck.

Too much greed (remember Gordon Gekko) and all the rest of the negative attributes will always corrupt an otherwise thought to be good idea or two.
If people were not greedy there would be more unemployment and poverty.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:44 PM

298 posts, read 270,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
i see force, force...ban, ban...make, make...not much 'negotiating' going on here
Sure. Like the Soviet Union. you don't negotiate or compromise in a communist dictatorship. See North Korea and China.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:51 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post

[*]Healthcare:
Force all Health insurance companies to cover everything 100%.
Force hospitals to bill out reasonable rates to the non-insured.
Force all doctors to do a yearly continuing education programs (instead of google searching).

Most states already require continuing education for doctors to keep their license. In my state it is 50 credit hours per year. My specialty also requires CME in order to maintain my board certification regardless of the state in which I am licensed. That said, the internet is a wonderful tool when a patient comes in with a rare disease that most doctors haven't seen since they were medical students. I am old enough to remember what it was like before smart phones and internet medical journals. Finding information is instantaneous now. This is a wonderful thing.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:55 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
i see force, force...ban, ban...make, make...not much 'negotiating' going on here
That is the progressives way.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:02 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
The liberal manifesto, ban this, force that, give me more for doing less. Why is it things like hard work and personal responsibility are never part of the left's solutions?

Old 09-27-2015, 09:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I see nothing liberal about the OP's absurd list of demands. I suggest:

Government ownership of publicly used services such as electric power, water supply, roads and the rest of the traditional utilities.

Installing countervailing tariffs designed to eliminate the price advantage of low labor costs, government support, lax environmental rules.

Implementing a all income from all sources Income Tax with a base deductible set at the 90th percentile.

Strict separation of commercial from speculative banking.

Remove our troops and aid from the Middle East.

I can make lists as well.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:57 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Negotiator75=Bernie Sanders?

Both seem to live in a dream world where economics do not apply.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
How to Improve America: This is a simple manifesto:
  1. Education:
    Get Rid Of Grades K-12 and Replace with Grades 1-8 (Get rid of high school).
    Make each school day be 4 hours, either (8am to 12pm) or (1pm to 5pm).
    Get Rid Of Homework, it a proven waste of time.
    Allow kids to go to College as early as age 14, with no SAT assessment crap.
    Pay good teachers more money.
    Ban hard copy books and book bags.
    Ban forcing kids to do fundraising.
  2. Employment:
    Restructure 40 Hour Week To 30 Hour week.
    Make each "Full Time" work day be 6 hours, anything above that is overtime.
    Make working Telecommute the law, provided it's applicable.

3. Healthcare:
    Force all Health insurance companies to cover everything 100%.
    Force hospitals to bill out reasonable rates to the non-insured.
    Force all doctors to do a yearly continuing education programs (instead of google searching).

4. Food:
    Ban deceptive practices at grocery stores (ie, product downsizing, price gouging, membership cards, false claims).
    Ban high fructose corn syrup.

5. Legal:
    Upgrade court trial system and enable voting by public. No more jurors.
    Ban jury duty.
    Pay good police officers more money.
    Legalize prostitution, but limit sales by zoning.
    Legalize marijuana and cocaine for all non-felons, limit sales by zoning.

6. Public Safety:
    Put metal detectors in all large public places - movie theaters, malls and schools.
    Allow everyone to open carry guns (given proper background checking).

7. Social Security:
    Lower retirement age to 55.
    Incarcerate anyone using SS funds otherwise.

8. Cell Phone Carriers:
    Buy or Lease the phone but make all services unlimited, calls, texting AND data.

9. Environmental:
    Don't Encourage People to Separate Garbage For Recycling, its all profitable business.
    Keep using gasoline & oil for vehicles.

10. Religion:
    Ban religious influence/groups on US law making.

11. Internet Access:
    Make it Free for everyone/everywhere at the fastest speeds known to man.

12. Television:
    Force Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner etc to offer FREE or PAID subscriptions via a simple option for the customer to then "enable" or "disable" commercials.
    - PAID version - would disable commercials, they would be moved to "Commercials" channels and stop interrupting the other channels.
    - FREE version can remain the way it is today, plagued with commercials.

Get rid of weather channels and weather reports - keep it limited for emergencies only.
    Ban sport channel blackouts.

13. Taxes:
    Only have a sales tax, no more income tax.
    Keep corporate taxes.

14. Corporations:
    Force tax breaks for corporations that don't use offshore labor.
    Force tax breaks for parts & products made in America.
    Use prison labor instead of offshore.
alright, lets start with education, so you want to make an already substandard public education system worse? i agree with paying teachers more, but the problem isnt the number of school hours, or the number of grades, the problem with the system is at the top. lets start with the federal government and reduce the influence they have on local schools. let the states regulate the school system.

if you want to do anything with employment, how about requiring employers to pay employees based on what the business does profit wise? each business would set a minimum profit they need to be able to reinvest in the business, as needed for capital investments, etc. and anything over that would be distributed to the employees as a bonus, either monthly or yearly.

health care does need reforming, and obamacare needs to go away completely, but forcing your ideas would be very expensive. and as noted, ALL medical professionals are required to have continuing education.

product downsizing is what you get when you have inflation. the competition is such that raising prices can push people to other stores, and leave you in the dust. so that six ounce can of tuna, becomes a 5 ounce can at the same price, and the label is changed accordingly. as for deceptive practices? to what are you referring? as for banning high fructous corn syrup, you do realize that it is just another form of sugar dont you? the only reason some are going after it is because it is the current bad guy of food additives.

as for your idea of voting on trials by the public, that would mean that the public would have to hear ALL the evidence, which would mean that the news media would actually have to do their jobs. so that is a terrible idea. as for your idea of banning jury duty, unless you change the constitution, that wont happen. besides i like the idea of trial by jury.

as for the rest, some i agree with, some i dont. as greywar noted below, the devil is in the details, and the details are what kills a lot of your ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
A large mixture of "thats possibly a good idea" with a massive dose of "Thats completely unrealistic, and would doom us".

Everyone has grandiose idea, without understanding that the devil is in the details, and the side effects. I have thoughts about basic income, and quickly see tons of areas where I think it will have issues. So while grand ideas are great, stick to implementing them in much smaller doses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies