Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 06:58 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Malaysian Airline Flight 17.

That's how a real leader deals with foreign policy.
What's about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 07:00 PM

46,959 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I was and Onumbnuts is nothing like Reagan.
Witty.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:08 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
What a childish post. Come back when you're mature enough for an adult conversation.

If you were around for Reagan, you were a child and have simply bought into the rewriting of his reality.

Rest aassured, Reagan appeased.

You clearly weren't around for Nam I'd you think our enemies run and hide.
Reagan learned. This particular incident, exercise ABLE ARCHER 83 was a turning point for Reagan. I was in the Strategic Air Combat Operations Staff at the time.

It had only been about an hour after we'd "launched" the Major Attack Option for the exercise, and I was just about to head for home, when we got word, "The Soviets have reacted to the exercise." That began four scary days for us, because we had to operate under the possibility that the Soviets would not be calmed down...we were preparing for war as furiously as we could.

Reagan had not realized before that incident that the Soviets did not see themselves as the bad guys, they saw him as the bad guy. He seems to have resolved from then not to look so much like the bad guy.

Just discovered a YouTube video of the "event." It's long, but it appears pretty accurate on first scan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ciy5R-tLiE

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 09-26-2015 at 07:27 PM..

Old 09-26-2015, 07:13 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood12 View Post
In today's world it seems like most of our politician's are all about appeasement, making others happy even at the expense of U.S citizens. We have rightfully earned our spot as top dog super power and if ANYTHING our enemies should be worried about offending US! They should be the ones willing to do whatever they can not to offend US! But now we have a President that bows to our enemies and will do what it takes to make them happy.
Funny thing is that outside of glitz hollywood ads, what exactly did Reagan do, a full scale invasion of Panama to capture one man for drug smuggling, a unrated army in Granada to '"rescue students who didn't know they needed rescuing." When he faced a real challenge the bombing of the Marine Barracks in Beirut what lesson was taught there... do we really need to go over the Iranian arms deal, Vietnam or hell Korea where we've maintained nothing more than a "cease fire" for 60 years? Get a grip, we don't live in few short years after the fall of Nazi Germany and even then we weren't as omnipotent as the mythology misleads too many to think.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:08 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Reagan learned. This particular incident, exercise ABLE ARCHER 83 was a turning point for Reagan. I was in the Strategic Air Combat Operations Staff at the time.

It had only been about an hour after we'd "launched" the Major Attack Option for the exercise, and I was just about to head for home, when we got word, "The Soviets have reacted to the exercise." That began four scary days for us, because we had to operate under the possibility that the Soviets would not be calmed down...we were preparing for war as furiously as we could.

Reagan had not realized before that incident that the Soviets did not see themselves as the bad guys, they saw him as the bad guy. He seems to have resolved from then not to look so much like the bad guy.

Just discovered a YouTube video of the "event." It's long, but it appears pretty accurate on first scan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ciy5R-tLiE
That was quite interesting to learn about but I wasn't referencing an incident. I was referencing a deal Reagan signed with the Soviet Union similar to Obama's deal with Iran. He took a lot of heat for it from the far right but stood by it because compromise with enemies is how peace is maintained.

Some people prefer us to behave like movie cowboys but Reagan and Obama held higher aspirations.

http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/671499

Old 09-27-2015, 09:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I always have wondered why the folks most in favor of keeping the Forever War going are those least likely to ever get shot at? It is easy to bluster when you know that your social status protects you and your kids from ever being shot in the head or having their legs ripped off by an IED.

I am not surprised as modern wars have always been "Rich man's War and a poor mans Fight. This poor man is tired of having poor people fed into the meat grinder to protect rich investors bets.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:38 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I always have wondered why the folks most in favor of keeping the Forever War going are those least likely to ever get shot at? It is easy to bluster when you know that your social status protects you and your kids from ever being shot in the head or having their legs ripped off by an IED.

I am not surprised as modern wars have always been "Rich man's War and a poor mans Fight. This poor man is tired of having poor people fed into the meat grinder to protect rich investors bets.
There's a term for people like that - Chickenhawks - who advocate a bellicose foreign policy, attack others' patriotism if they aren't sufficiently warlike, but shirked away from military service when they had the opportunity to do so themselves. Dick Cheney and his deferments is a classic example.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:54 AM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Let me draw this line in the sand. Wait a minute, let me move the line. Wait a minute...

I'd pay just to see a fight between obuma and mash-hell

That's why no country in the world respects the US at this time

Old 09-27-2015, 10:51 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Great. Buncha tough guys talking about how to deal with "enemies" and none of you would toss a grape in a fruit fight.

Become mercenaries and go "deal with our enemies" and quit talking it to death behind laptops.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:58 AM

46,959 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Become mercenaries and go "deal with our enemies" and quit talking it to death behind laptops.
That's no way to talk about the 501st Keyboard Brigade!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies